Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    I'm quite sore from yesterday, especially my wrist and my arms and shoulders. I do have a nice bruise on my hip. But it was fun!

Catriona, besides the problem with the chain jumping off the chain rings, the lever to bring the back derailleur to an easier gear has an excessively long travel before it actually wants to make a switch.

OK, if I were to drop the "HillSlug" name, what would I change to? "Tri_Anything"?
    I could take over the Hillslug name - I'm pretty slow on them. I've sort of gotten to the point where road hills I've got the gear strategy down and it usually works without me bonking before the top... Mountain biking I still either downshift too early and lose all momentum or stay geared high, which works till it gets really steep or I hit roots.

My wrists are really sore, I woke up in the middle of the night with both hands numb, so I think I aggravated them again - I need to learn to quit having a death grip on my handlebars and my brakes, but they're a security blanket for now.

I did a bruise check this morning - one bruise on each buttock, one on the hip, and one behind my knee. No idea if they're from mountain biking yesterday or on Saturday. Or from some other stuff.

I kept my poor bf up till 4 am tuning my bikes. I finished putting all the pieces onto the frame I was building up, then gave it to him to tune, and gave him the mountain bike to tune. Something was giving him fits, but I fell asleep and don't really know what. I did take the new road frame out for a test ride at 4 am...

He's typically pretty good at tuning the bikes - however, he's gentler on his gears than I am... I shift under load going up hills way too much and I mash - he usually shifts his gears before he gets on a hill, and just spins his way up and doesn't shift. So I'll tell him the bike's doing certain things, he'll take it out for a ride or put it on the trainer to look at the shifting, it'll act perfect for him and shift smoothly, and then he'll decide I'm nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    I could take over the Hillslug name - I'm pretty slow on them. I've sort of gotten to the point where road hills I've got the gear strategy down and it usually works without me bonking before the top... Mountain biking I still either downshift too early and lose all momentum or stay geared high, which works till it gets really steep or I hit roots.

My wrists are really sore, I woke up in the middle of the night with both hands numb, so I think I aggravated them again - I need to learn to quit having a death grip on my handlebars and my brakes, but they're a security blanket for now.

I did a bruise check this morning - one bruise on each buttock, one on the hip, and one behind my knee. No idea if they're from mountain biking yesterday or on Saturday. Or from some other stuff.

I kept my poor bf up till 4 am tuning my bikes. I finished putting all the pieces onto the frame I was building up, then gave it to him to tune, and gave him the mountain bike to tune. Something was giving him fits, but I fell asleep and don't really know what. I did take the new road frame out for a test ride at 4 am...

He's typically pretty good at tuning the bikes - however, he's gentler on his gears than I am... I shift under load going up hills way too much and I mash - he usually shifts his gears before he gets on a hill, and just spins his way up and doesn't shift. So I'll tell him the bike's doing certain things, he'll take it out for a ride or put it on the trainer to look at the shifting, it'll act perfect for him and shift smoothly, and then he'll decide I'm nuts.
    I've got your back on this one. Have him talk to me

You were biking at 4am?
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Sounds like I got off easy by going to the dentist instead.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I've got your back on this one. Have him talk to me

You were biking at 4am?

Well, I only went in a loop around the neighborhood. i was pretty excited to see what it felt like.

I actually hadn't remember the bike doing that jump chain thing - I'd ridden the bike a few times the beginning of the summer - it did it maybe twice on me, and got chain suck a lot. And he patiently explained how I wouldn't get chain suck if I adjusted the rate of my spinning for which gear I was in & switching too, and blah blah - and after that I just made sure to shift to the granny gear well in advance of any hill and the bike pretty much behaved after that.

I'll tell him you said so

Well, I only went in a loop around the neighborhood. i was pretty excited to see what it felt like.

I actually hadn't remember the bike doing that jump chain thing - I'd ridden the bike a few times the beginning of the summer - it did it maybe twice on me, and got chain suck a lot. And he patiently explained how I wouldn't get chain suck if I adjusted the rate of my spinning for which gear I was in & switching too, and blah blah - and after that I just made sure to shift to the granny gear well in advance of any hill and the bike pretty much behaved after that.

I'll tell him you said so
    This was happening to when when I wasn't even trying to shift at all. I'm not sure what would cause it unless it's simply from the chain bouncing. I wonder if the tension in the rear derailleur is too loose. That might explain this and the issue with the rear shift lever.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I'd rather be biking.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    I went to the dentist AFTER biking and lunch.
    So...I got to experience it all!!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    I went to the dentist AFTER biking and lunch.
    So...I got to experience it all!!
    You're obviously the over-achiever among us.

I need to find a dentist.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    You're obviously the over-achiever among us.
    "Glutton for punishment" is more where I was thinking.....
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Well, except for the dentist and the bruises, it sounds like a good time.

DB, there were at least 6 Subaru Outbacks in the parking lot. You would have really fit in.
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

I told myself to stay out of this thread... I think I might have happily given up the family visit in Florida to have joined you all, it sounds like you had a lot of fun.

I'll admit it: I'm envious
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    I told myself to stay out of this thread... I think I might have happily given up the family visit in Florida to have joined you all, it sounds like you had a lot of fun.

I'll admit it: I'm envious
    I think with the exception of MdHill borrowing my bike, we're probably all willing to do it again!

If your bike promises to behave I'd give it another go!
    --===--

2011 Trek Mamba 29er

If your bike promises to behave I'd give it another go!
    yeah, I'm sorry - it occurred to me yesterday that I really should have swapped bikes with you and dealt with it myself.

But the bike'll hopefully be fixed before then! Or I'd grab the bf's bike.

I think it'd be too wet to do it this weekend, I'm probably going kayaking on Sunday. Either on the Chesapeake or the Triadelphia Reservoir