Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

What is this thing?

To disable ads, please log-in.

On my mountain bike there is a circle on top of the headset. It screws down, mine says Scott but I want a purple one. Can I replace just this piece or it it part of the headset? I keep bruising myself on it from dismounting improperly, I want a bruise colored one to go with my purple lock on grips I am ordering. lol.

I can take a picture tonight if that was as clear as mud.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I don't know the real name for it- I just call it a headset cap. Yep, you can replace it. My MTB has one that says "Pedal faster, fool!"

Check on Ebay for all sorts of interesting caps.

Sweet. I wish I could get a purple one that says "OUCH!". That would be funny. Off to check out what I can find to customize Tess. She is a cheap Craiglist find and I really want to make her a little more fun looking.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Quote Originally Posted by SadieKate View Post
    A friend of mine had an "Easy" Button made for his Big Leg Emma through them.

Maybe I need "I think I can, I think I can."
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

My DBF gave me a few of these for my birthday - colors and quotes to match some of my bikes. They're really nicely done, and the company was great to work with. My problem is finding compression plugs that these headset caps work with. I took apart my Bianchi 928 and haven't been able to get the compression plug to 'take' yet...
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

I am not going to wait for Santa. I think I will get one that says either "OUCH" or my mom's favorite "Can't Never Could". And lookie I can get matching lock on grips and bar ends.

I really wish I could have Can't Never Could for my Cannondale but I think it won't take these. Darn.
    Amanda

We've used Purly Custom for our shop's custom engraved headset caps. They do come out very clear.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMGP2531.jpg 
Views:	328 
Size:	70.2 KB 
ID:	7794  

Quote Originally Posted by bike4ever View Post
    We've used Purly Custom for our shop's custom engraved headset caps. They do come out very clear.
    What compression plugs do you use? All my bikes have carbon forks, so I can't use a star nut, but do you have one that works with the caps? On my Colnagos, I just have the new caps over the original Campy caps -- not ideal, but it works.
    For 3 days, I get to part of a thousand other journeys.

What exactly are you bruising???

FB- Ugh. I somehow keep hitting my midsection. Usually it is on a climb when I can't make it and bail out sloppy. I hit a little below the belly button on the soft squishy "pooch" area. And I bruise if you look at me wrong so I am not even hitting hard. I should also mention I am incredibly clumsy so I pretty much bruise 5-6 different places each time I mountain bike.
    Amanda

Uh oh...this site looks dangerous. My new bike is going to be white with some silver and blue accents. I may not be able to control myself...all those cute little blue chainring bolts and valve stem collar thingies...I'm in big trouble!