Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Thread: Tool Kits

Tool Kits

To disable ads, please log-in.

My husband would like a tool kit for around the house. I am thinking I will get him one for Christmas but want to be sure I get a good one. He will want most of the tools but budget is small ($150-175). I was thinking the $150 Park Tool Rollup might be good because I know he won't be don't everything himself. I know Park Tools are pretty dang good and I would rather get less but quality than a brand that is not so good but might have more tools.

Thoughts? Suggestions?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

It depends a little on what he's planning to do in the way of repairs, and how his bike(s) are equipped. I do think that Park Tools are worth the money!

Some must-haves IMO:
    good cable cutters
    a chain tool
    a cassette lockring and a chain whip
    a nice set of T- or L- handled hex wrenches
    the appropriate bottom bracket tool
    a crankbolt extractor (if needed for your bike(s))
    a pedal wrench
    Headset wrenches (if needed for your bike(s))
    Cone wrenches in the right sizes for your bike(s)
    a work stand!

These are the tools that DH and I use over and over again. Your DH probably already has tire levers, patch kits, open end wrenches, etc., so I wouldn't bother spending money on them again.

Oh thanks Becky for the list. I tend to think Park must be worth the bucks so I may get him the $99 starter kit tool box and then add to it at birthdays or just when we want to do something. Right now I can only think he will do minor stuff like change pedals, maybe swap a cassette. But eventually he will get comfortable on want to do more.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Gotta start somewhere, right?

I would take the time to price out the individual items. If memory serves me correctly, you don't save that much buying a kit, especially if he already has a few things.

Have fun shopping!

Well he has a workstand, chain cleaner and a multi tool. He is pretty much starting from scratch. I will see what the kit has and maybe buy a few more pieces you listed. Or I may just buy from scratch since he has an empty tool box to store everything in (we got three for Christmas the year we bought our house).
    Amanda

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    If he has a workstand, he's more than halfway set. I have lots of tools, but no workstand, so therefore, I rarely work on my bikes (they need some luvin'!). I have a big work/party/crawfish boil table in my backyard, and I want to get a bike work clamp to attach to it, but i haven't seen just the clamp without the legs.

That's a nice present to get your hubby.

"It's not how old you are, it's how you are old."
    SandyLS TeamTE BIANCHISTA