Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

BTW - The Daily Mail is a right wing comic. This story and the reaction it's intended to provoke is right up its street.
    If it's not one thing it's another

I thought the other stories were a bit odd..
    that explains it.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

We have big, white weddings here too. That isn't a bit of British slang. On the net they even get abbreviated to BWWs. You've probably been to one. Hopefully not as tacky as that one though. They don't have to be tacky.

I apologize for giving the sterotypical answer. I realize there are plenty of normal, law abiding people that live this way. We had some travellers near our cottage in upstate NY who lived in a teepee. They were a very nice family. Couldn't pay me to live in a teepee year round in upstate, but to each his own.

And thanks to mimi for posting - I've been looking for wedding dress ideas
    If it's not one thing it's another

No need to stop at the wedding dress, see here for other great ideas of bridesmaid dresses. Implants optional, maybe.

http://www.heatworld.com/Article/779...edding+photos…
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Oh my god, the flower girls!! Yikes.

I assume it's the guy's mother in a turquoise full "mother-of-the-groom" suit.

She doesn't seem all that thrilled........

Never mind.
    Last edited by snapdragen; 11-01-2008 at 08:22 AM.

They are gipsy! Judging them based on our definition of classy is as wrong as it is for instance to judge native americans for what they wear based on our culture. It is a DIFFERENT culture. They are nomads. They don't go to classical schools. They have their own language, culture and customs. They live differently. They don't always conform to laws of the state/society they travel through, they typically cause troubles but that still does not mean that we should be so CONDESCENDING in our judgment as you are!

Sorry, I don't like gypsies but I also don't like people who are too judgmental.

Martina
    Czech Chicks Rule !

Quote Originally Posted by martinkap View Post
    they typically cause troubles but that still does not mean that we should be so CONDESCENDING in our judgment as you are!

Sorry, I don't like gypsies but I also don't like people who are too judgmental.

Martina
    I'm completely confused about the contradictory statements you have just made. Don't be judgmental but "they typically cause troubles"? Ok . . . . .
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

never mind
    Last edited by snapdragen; 11-01-2008 at 08:22 AM.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    martin, there is no way, no place on earth that dress or the mother of the bride's dress would be considered good taste. Perhaps on stage in Vegas, or in Madonna's latest show..

I would feel the same way whether they were Romanies, gypsies, my next door neighbors or the Queen of England. The dresses are tacky.
    I see Martin's point. When you say YOU would feel the dresses were tacky no matter who wore them- well again that would be just YOUR definition of tacky or 'good taste', based on the culture you were raised in. Other cultures have completely different standards of taste. I imagine there are still some tribal cultures where brides (and grooms) are bare breasted and many people we know would consider that tacky as well. Other cultures cover themselves up way more than we do and would consider our typical bridal gowns to be extremely vulgar.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by martinkap View Post

Martina
    I'm not confused by that statement at all. Loooong ago I was attacked on the street by a ... well, he was a Hispanic male. Threw me to the ground, pinned me, things did not look good for our hero .

I got outa the pin , pinned him down and then help arrived in the form of two guys and a cop.

I have Hispanic friends, even family from South and Central America, Spain, Mexico ... I like them a lot . But after the incident I struggled.

Each time I'd see someone who looked anything like this guy I had a gut reaction. It took a long time to overcome. I was raised to appreciate different cultures, to not just tolerate differences but really get out there and enjoy them.

I was taught from way back that I should not judge by appearances.

In a funny way tt was kind of like socializing a dog . I saw what was happening to me, didn't like it and said "I'm going to search out good experiences with people of this culture and overcome this" and I did.

As for the dress, welllllllll it's not my style, I could never get away with wearing white but if it makes the couple happy
    Last edited by Trek420; 11-01-2008 at 06:11 AM.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

And what is not judgmental about a blanket statement of distaste for an entire ethnic/cultural group, the gypsies?

Whether you agree with snap's statement or not, martin's statement is pejorative about ALL gypsies including those he/she has not seen or met, and therefore condemns all in her/his eyes. Snap's comment, and the other posters' I might add, were only about specific people based on their perceptions of those individuals from photos, people who are dressed for a wedding in a western culture for a wedding at a western church. Sorry, but martin's statement is downright nasty criticizing an entire culture based on their heritage, not on their individual merits.

I'm very disappointed that you people don't seem to get the discriminatory nature of his/her remark.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.