Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Intro to Mountain biking - REI outdoor school, Nov 1st

To disable ads, please log-in.

Introduction to Mountain Biking - REI Outdoor School
    11/1/2008 9:00 AM

Experience the thrill of mountain biking with our instructors as they teach you the proper techniques of shifting, braking, hill climbing and descent, body and pedal position, and navigating minor obstacles on the trail.

This is designed as an educational ride, not a guided tour; we want to teach you how to get more out of your mountain biking experience. We'll start by addressing proper bike fit, making necessary adjustments to improve comfort and performance.

Next we'll demonstrate riding techniques and teach important communication and safety skills to prepare you for the ride. We'll teach you the trail etiquette techniques that mountain bikers can use to help keep trails open and safe for all trail users.

Then it's off for a great ride to practice all the skills you've learned.

Novara mountain bikes provided at no additional cost for those without a bike of their own.

Recommended for those 14 and older, under 18 must be accompanied by parent or responsible adult. NO RIDER IS LEFT BEHIND!

9:00 AM - 4:00 PM

Upcoming Trips:

11/ 1 at Bailey's Crossroads
    1/11 at College Park
    1/24 at Bailey's Crossroads

* Cost:$55 member; $75 non-member
    * Registration Required? Yes. Please contact customer service at 301-230-7670

I did one of these REI Outdoor School things (Intro to Road Biking --yes, we used road bikes, but we didn't do any biking on roads, just a paved off-road trail) and it was a total waste of time and money. The main focus was promoting the Novara line of bikes in hopes of making a sale. Hopefully this one is better than the one I went to. They had us stay in the same gear so we didn't even learn shifting expect through lecture and we didn't ride on roads, so we didn't get to learn how to ride with traffic or negotiate stop signs or traffic lights. And, yes, I did voice my disappointment to the instructors (they said I should put my concerns in my evaluation), submitted a detailed evaluation, but never received a response from REI . . .

Aaarrrgh! Another cool thing that I'd be interested in doing that I found out about after already making plans for that day. I'll be in Philly this Saturday.

I guess I need to be proactive and spend more time searching the intarwebs for this stuff.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    Aaarrrgh! Another cool thing that I'd be interested in doing that I found out about after already making plans for that day. I'll be in Philly this Saturday.

I guess I need to be proactive and spend more time searching the intarwebs for this stuff.
    What about the 11th - Veteran's Day - at College Park?

Oooooo....that reminds me....Federal Holiday....dot gov ride at Schaeffer anyone??
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Hmmm. On second glance, that actually appears to 1/11, as in January. That I could do. Thanks for the notice, Catriona!

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Oooooo....that reminds me....Federal Holiday....dot gov ride at Schaeffer anyone??
    Blah. Not only do I work in retail, so don't get that holiday off unless I make up for it another day, but I'll be in Florida that week. I'm never gonna get to ride Schaeffer unless I buck up and go do it alone
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

Quote Originally Posted by michelem View Post
    I did one of these REI Outdoor School things (Intro to Road Biking --yes, we used road bikes, but we didn't do any biking on roads, just a paved off-road trail) and it was a total waste of time and money. The main focus was promoting the Novara line of bikes in hopes of making a sale. Hopefully this one is better than the one I went to. They had us stay in the same gear so we didn't even learn shifting expect through lecture and we didn't ride on roads, so we didn't get to learn how to ride with traffic or negotiate stop signs or traffic lights. And, yes, I did voice my disappointment to the instructors (they said I should put my concerns in my evaluation), submitted a detailed evaluation, but never received a response from REI . . .
    Huh. I did both the mountain biking and road biking classes a couple of years ago and they were nothing like that. The mountain biking class was fantastic. I rode my own bike, as did about half of the other people. We covered basic skills and had a really good ride. The road biking class was not so great, mostly because the people who had signed up for it had different expectations -- some wanted what you seemed to want, others had no idea how to ride a bike at all. I've noticed that the class descriptions have changed to address that.

In any case, there was no Novara sales pitch and both classes definitely involved changing gears.

Hmmm. On second glance, that actually appears to 1/11, as in January. That I could do. Thanks for the notice, Catriona!
    Oops. Right you are.

And, Xeney...I think DivingBiker's mtb-class was an REI one (locally, for you D.C./MD/VA ladies), and she had a similar experience - but I suspect she can fill you in on her experience better than I!

I'm debating whether to try to go this Saturday - I suspect I'll hear all about it from the bf - something to the extent of how girls make it through childhood without learning any bike handling skills at all and have to take classes, while boys just naturally play and pick it all up...

Of course, I've been listening to that all summer, and have developed the ability to bike faster than him which seems to have shut him up

But I've decided he's not very good at teaching me to do anything.

I could make it, but I think my current skill level would slow you guys down.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post
    - something to the extent of how girls make it through childhood without learning any bike handling skills at all and have to take classes, while boys just naturally play and pick it all up...
    Aye. Boys learn with frequent trips to the hospital emergency room. Girls are smarter than that!

How's your cardio?? Schaeffer isn't so technical that you can't get by without some good cardio skills and work around the technical stuff. Besides. We'd wait at intersections.

Aye. Boys learn with frequent trips to the hospital emergency room. Girls are smarter than that!

How's your cardio?? Schaeffer isn't so technical that you can't get by without some good cardio skills and work around the technical stuff. Besides. We'd wait at intersections.
    I'm not sure, when my older sister was 15 she somehow hit a rock while riding a bike and ended up getting stitches in her privates. She hasn't been on a bike ever since... she just recently expressed interest in getting a bike to ride with her daughter (it's been more than 20 years...) I left an old bike at my Mom's for her, but she's yet to pick it up. I guess she was smarter than going to the emergency room twice!

Cardio's fine - I've been road biking a ton lately. I won't promise not to get chainsuck on hills or something stupid, however.

Speaking of cardio, I should go get on the trainer... Left work thinking I'd brave the temps and wind to ride tonight, but then the rain started...

The mtb rides we've done at Rosaryville have been at a relatively moderate pace with, as Regina mentioned, stops for everyone to catch up and catch their breath. I was a singletrack virgin the first time we rode there and I survived, so I've been wanting to give Schaeffer a try. A little muscle here, a little cardio there, good reflexes and paying attention seem to be all it takes for the easier trails. And if you hit technical stuff, you just get off and walk.

I really wish I could join you all.

Stitches in her privates??? Man, no wonder she didn't get on a bike for 20 years!

The mtb rides we've done at Rosaryville have been at a relatively moderate pace with, as Regina mentioned, stops for everyone to catch up and catch their breath. I was a singletrack virgin the first time we rode there and I survived, so I've been wanting to give Schaeffer a try. A little muscle here, a little cardio there, good reflexes and paying attention seem to be all it takes for the easier trails. And if you hit technical stuff, you just get off and walk.

I really wish I could join you all.

Stitches in her privates??? Man, no wonder she didn't get on a bike for 20 years!
    Yeah, she still goes off about it every so often. I'm surprised she lets my 9 year old niece ride a bike. I brought my niece some roller blade last weekend, so I should call and check that she's still in one piece.

Sounds like I'm in for Schaeffer on Veteran's Day unless something comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by xeney View Post
    Huh. I did both the mountain biking and road biking classes a couple of years ago and they were nothing like that. The mountain biking class was fantastic. I rode my own bike, as did about half of the other people. We covered basic skills and had a really good ride. The road biking class was not so great, mostly because the people who had signed up for it had different expectations -- some wanted what you seemed to want, others had no idea how to ride a bike at all. I've noticed that the class descriptions have changed to address that.

In any case, there was no Novara sales pitch and both classes definitely involved changing gears.
    That's really good to hear. Guess I just got a bum class.

And, Xeney...I think DivingBiker's mtb-class was an REI one (locally, for you D.C./MD/VA ladies), and she had a similar experience - but I suspect she can fill you in on her experience better than I!
    Actually, mine was put on by the Bike Lane, a shop in Burke, VA. It was good, and no sales pitch at all!

I'm up for the Veterans Day ride at Schaeffer. But how are we going to find our way out of the park, since we're directionally challenged???