Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Oh by the way, hotel info/group rates has been published, I think for all cities.

I'm trying to decide if I should go back to the hotel I stayed at last year or stay at a different one. I had problems with my hotel room last year (leaking sink, totally not clean) but it had a refrigerator, which I really will need. Oh well, there's plenty of time to think about it.

We loved our hotel and intend to stay there again. I'm booking a bunch of rooms tomorrow actually. The hotel info was up there last Thursday (I look nearly every day because my team will not allow me to book us anywhere else). I told them it was posted and our hotel was there again and I'd book the rooms the next day. Last Friday I get on the computer and the hotel info is gone again. I swear I felt like I was going a little crazy. So when I saw it back up there yesterday, I was feeling a tad less unstable. But just a tad.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

I'm sure it's not you.

Which hotel do you like? I was in the Doubletree near Plymouth Meeting mall in 2007 and 2008. In 2006 I was in the Marriott across the street.

Sorry I missed this. This is the hotel we stayed at last year and are staying at this year. http://homewoodsuites1.hilton.com/en...vania/index.do

It isn't as big as some of the others, but I think that may be what we liked most about it. Last year my family hung at the pool on Sunday after the ride. We had left over pasta and beer and pretty much just hung out and relaxed. I stayed at the Doubletree in 2007 too. It was fine but then last year I picked this one because it was a tad cheaper and a tad closer. In the end, I was glad I did and my team was emphatic about wanting to stay there again.

And do you see the application on your facebook profile now? Mine is on mine, not sure how much this will help me raise money, but I guess it can't hurt. I'll just have to send a message to my FB friends periodically directing them to that application.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

The facebook app is working now. But I agree, on its own it doesn't do much. But I'm planning to keep a training log under my Notes tab, and in a month or so I'll start actively asking people to support me.

I've been thinking about the hotel and I think I might go back to the Doubletree, mostly because I think it's kind of the HQ for the people who are running the event, so the lobby is always full of people wearing livestrong clothes and carrying livestrong stuff. And I like how that keeps creates an atmosphere over the whole time that I'm there.

But I'll look into the Homewood Suites, too.

Your point about the Doubletree is exactly what I loved about it. The first year it was just me staying there and riding, with two friends along for support. My sister and brother in law who rode live in Philly. So I loved seeing so many others with their bikes and their gold/black. I cracked up that there were 2 weddings so there were all these people in their finest, and then lycra and the sounds of bikes and cleats. Such a mix! And usually I can say - oh my car, it's the one with the bike rack. But there, half the parking lot had bike racks. I got into a conversation in the elevator with this older couple because I saw their jerseys and told them that I rode for a while with 2 members of their team - their daughter I found out. We had a lovely conversation.

The next year, it was about cheaper and closer. And in the end, the closer is even better because you come in on a different road (part of which we actually ride in/out on during the challenge) and we hit no traffic. And then my family ended up loving it because they liked being the big fish in the little pond. We made friends with others there who were riding, but you are right, the feel is very different.

If you end up staying at the Homewood Suites - you are more than welcome to be an adjunct member of my team. We won't leave you hanging.
    Last edited by Possegal; 04-05-2009 at 02:18 PM.

Cue sheets are posted for Philly.

I kept the cue sheet from last year, so I'll compare them to see if anything has changed.

Anyone coming to Austin in October?

Thanks for the tip on the cue sheets being up. I'm doing the Philly ride also. I booked Homewood suites. Hope to see you ladies there!

Susan
    Susan

Try not. Do or do not... there is no try.
    Yoda

2004 Airborne WASP (road)/Selle An-Atomica
    2010 Bike Friday New World Tourist (commuter)/Selle An-Atomica
    2010 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket Pro/Selle An-Atomica

How far ahead of time do you suggest booking two rooms?
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

The first year I booked later in the summer for our rooms, last year a bit earlier, and this year I've booked already. I figure it can't hurt to book ahead. I told the travel folks that I intend to tell my team that they have to commit by Aug 1 and that I'll release any extra rooms then so as not to hold them up.

Susan - definitely keep your eyes open for a large crowd of folks at the Homewood Suites, with our shirts the day of the ride looking very Irish. Can't miss us!

I also figure that as long as I know the dates I'll be there, I might as well book the hotel so I don't have problems later. I decided to go with the Doubletree again. The Homewood Suites is too far from the Cracker Barrel, which is where I like to go for the pre-ride dinner (wild blueberry pancakes, yum).

I've never been to this area, so all the info. is helpful. Thanks!

I need to install the Facebook app. I think we should all friend one another to spread encouragement and show everyone else how cool it is to ride/donate!
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Ok, so maybe I'm really missing something.

On the Cue Sheet, it tells you to turn onto Old 40 Road, then onto bridge road, but according to bikeroutetoaster, the numbers don't match up, the roads don't intersect, etc etc.

Now, I know I'm completely unfamiliar with the area, but why can I not figure out where this bloody route goes? Anyone have it GPSed yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. BlueBug32 View Post
    Ok, so maybe I'm really missing something.

On the Cue Sheet, it tells you to turn onto Old 40 Road, then onto bridge road, but according to bikeroutetoaster, the numbers don't match up, the roads don't intersect, etc etc.

Now, I know I'm completely unfamiliar with the area, but why can I not figure out where this bloody route goes? Anyone have it GPSed yet?
    Mr. Bluebug32? Oh no, we have another man invasion!