Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Touring C&O Canal from Pittsburgh to D.C--advice needed

To disable ads, please log-in.

My DH and I were just sitting here watching the Steelers/Gaints game and noticed this great looking incline railway in Pittsburgh. That lead to Googling it, which lead to thinking of going to see it, which lead to thinking, "well, how about cycling from Pittsburgh to D.C. on the C&O Canal?"

I know that the Canal runs all the way into Pittsburgh now, right?

Has anyone ridden the whole length of it from? I see that it's just over 300 miles. We are thinking of maybe going in mid-May and taking 10 days or so, with time to sight-see in Pittsburgh and along the way. And, staying in B&Bs, hotels, etc. on the trip.

We used to live in the northern Shenandoah Valley and have cycled the Canal in the Paw Paw, WV area several times but the rest would be all new to us.

Here's the plan as it stands after just an hour of talking and researching:

--drive to D.C. Leave car in the lot of the Seminary I graduated from. They won't mind and it's safe.

--Ride to Metro, catch Amtrak at Union Station all the way into Pittsburgh.

--Spend 3 days or so around Pittsburgh, seeing the town, then heading out

--riding 40-60 miles a day from there

We would use our Hybrids.

This would be our first touring type ride. My DH has panniers on his bike already but I'll have to get some for mine.

Any tips, suggestions, ideas?

Thanks!

Several of us just did the Cumberland to DC part week before last, and two of us stayed in motels/B&B's. I'd be happy to pm you the places we stayed and phone numbers, etc. We had three days that were 40-45 miles, one that was about 35, and one that was about 25. (It's either that or camp or have a 60 mile day from Leesburg, VA to DC.)

DebW's done the Pittsburgh to Cumberland part, but she's a camper.

You'll have a great time!

You've probably seen the threads, but if not, they're here and here.
    Last edited by divingbiker; 10-26-2008 at 02:59 PM.

The C&O doesn't run the entire length.
    You'd start on the GAP and pick up the C&O in Cumberland.

If the weather's good, I'm riding Meyersdale to Cumberland next Saturday
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Quote Originally Posted by squirrell View Post

Thanks!
    Wow. Way cool.
    Only...check out the links DB and Zen provided.
    And...have an awesome time and take LOTS of pictures!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Quote Originally Posted by squirrell View Post
    Pack light.
    Very, very light.
    Every ounce adds up.
    Think three times whether or not you need an item.
    You'll go through a few towns where you can buy stuff if you need to.

Just have to add in, as a native of the 'burgh, it is a wonderful town and you'd really enjoy spending a little time there. Though with all the hills, biking can be a challenge. I mourn the young me who used to be able to bike around there with no trouble.

I believe here was just a bike ride from DC to Pgh that I believe ended in Pgh to celebrate the 250 yr anniversary of the city.

http://www.atatrail.org/ <---- info on the GAP
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

I did the GAP in May in 2.5 days from McKeesport to Cumberland, then another 1.5 days on the C&O to Hancock. The GAP is a wonderful trail, crushed stone surface and very well graded and maintained. It's uphill all the way from Pittsburgh to the Eastern Continental Divide, but it's so gradual that you hardly notice. Then you ride through the tunnels near the divide and blast downhill for 20 miles to Cumberland. The GAP goes right through some towns, so I never carried more than 2 days worth of food. It goes through Ohiopyle State Park too.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Riding the trail from Pittsburgh to D.C. is one of my goals for next year. I recommend this book that I picked up over the summer:
    http://www.gearfetch.com/shop/produc...roducts_id=868

I grew up in Pittsburgh, so I'd probably fly there, ride to D.C. and then take Amtrak back to Pitt. When are you planning to do the ride?

C&O in 2006

I'm from Kansas and I rode from Cumberland to DC in June 2006. I flew to Alexandria, rented a car for 1 day one way to Cumberland, DC (Hertz), and rented a mountain bike in Alexandria for a week. I left my large suitcase that had my panniers in it at the Holiday Inn in Alexandria where I would stay for a few days when I returned from the bike tour. The hotel also had free shuttles to the airport/Metro station. I drove to Cumberland and stayed in a motel in Frostburg (5 miles away and much cheaper). The next morning I left the car at the gas station/Hertz place and started on the C&O that was only 2 blocks away.
    I stayed in motels and B&Bs in Little Orleans, Hancock, Shepherdstown, Leesburg, Alexandria. The longest day was about 44 miles. The trail can get muddy after a rain. You can get some great info on bikewashington.org.
    When I returned to DC, I rode from Alexandria to Mt. Vernon on the Mt. Vernon trail--seemed like it was downhill both ways, riding paved after 5 days on the C&O.
    Happiness is never stopping to think if you are...

I rode Pgh-DC last summer with my 3 kids age 13 -23. Started in McKeesport/Boston PA as the road to Pgh wasn't finished and although I did a scouting trip one Saturday, it wasn't pleasant and safe to take the kids on a fast road from the City of Pgh to McKeesport. We had a blast. You do need a bike with fatter tires and my 13 yr. old had shocks and had the most fun aiming for things I avoided. Fenders are important, too as it gets muddy when it rains.

We did about 60 miles/day over 6 days and stayed in guest houses and a rustic b&b, spending about $40/person per night for lodging. The best guide book to use with all the amenities available throughout the trail (growing no. of bike shops, places to stay, restaurants, etc.) is called TrailBook 2008-2009. It was $10 bucks locally but youcan order it from Fieldstone Press, 522 Handwerk Rd., Markleton, PA 15551 or through the Allegheny Trail Alliance website: 222.atatrail.org.

My husband and a friend completed the McKeesport-DC ride on Saturday. They had one day off and rode for 8 days. It has been very muddy and the Potomac was over the trail in a few places. They got REALLY muddy. He did not have a rear fender and wished for it. He said the riding was nicer on the Great Allegheny Passage. It rained so much, though, that instead of camping, they stayed in B&B's along the route. The book recommended above is definitely a good one to have. After getting to DC, they rode the Washington and Old Dominion to Leesburg, VA. He then went to Front Royal and got on the Skyline Drive and is now on the Blue Ridge Parkway and headed for North Carolina!!

Despite the weather, he really loved the ride. He is riding a Specialized Tri-cross bike outfitted with four panniers. The tires are 32's and he was glad for them in the gravel of the C&O which is much more rutted and less maintained than the GAP.

Have fun. It is a great ride! When he gets back, he will post a trip journal on Crazy Guy on a Bike. He is not carrying a computer so will do the whole thing when he returns.

What time of year is best?

Everybody says it is quite muddy...so What IS the best time of year to avoid the rain?

We have considered going either in June or maybe wait till October when hopefully the leaves are starting to change...???
    I am a nobody; nobody is perfect, and therefore I am perfect.

We had fabulous weather last October. One morning of off and on drizzle, otherwise bone dry. You also get the ripe paw paws in October.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

This is the wet time of year. Do it in July and your bike will be covered in dust (and so will you).

Keep in mind that the C&O is a National Park. There is no entrance fee and funds are tight. I think they do a great job with the resources available.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieBikes View Post
    Despite the weather, he really loved the ride. He is riding a Specialized Tri-cross bike outfitted with four panniers. The tires are 32's and he was glad for them in the gravel of the C&O which is much more rutted and less maintained than the GAP.
    Actually, the C&O is a national historical park. It wasn't a smooth cinder-surface trail when mules were trudging along it, it was dirt and rocks and mud and tree roots much like it is today. It's also more subject to damage from river flooding than the stretches of the GAP that follow the Yock. The park service has had to resort to using gravel for repair work over the years as their budget has shrunk, but otherwise the C&O's maintained in as close to historical condition as possible.

I ride my Tri-Cross on it with semi-slick 30's and it's just fine (though I haven't done it with panniers). My only word of advice is: Watch out for the wasps
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.