Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

More road bridges for bikes-2009

To disable ads, please log-in.

Ok, here's another new road bridge in the suburbs of Vancouver, that will have bike path (shared with pedestrians). It will be separated from cars ..going over the Fraser River. The bridge will be 1 km. long. Set to open summer 2009. Yea, I agree the path looks narrow.....

Steel fish fence is part of the aesthetic design..because this bridge goes right over the Fraser River where millions of salmon swim in annually from the Pacific Ocean. There are several smaller river areas upstream where you can see the salmon runs and spawning.... There will be interpretative sign posters about the area since it is in an area occupied by a First Nations (native Indian) group, along with the salmon fishing history. I've been told that sturgeon fish also ply the waters occasionally in this area.

Near the bridge (1km. away) will be spiral bike ramps....yesterday a huge caterpillarr earth excavating machine was cracking-shaking the pavement to make the ramp hole bigger...less than 15 ft. away from my office window.

There are actually several other road ramps that are also being built near this new bridge. 1 of the newly constructed road ramps....I see everyday its progress daily..also for bikes and cars. Hopefully it will have a marked bike lane.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-17-2009 at 02:50 PM.

It looks similar to the Lions Gate Bridge in width, which is not bad. Do you know approximately how wide it is?

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    It looks similar to the Lions Gate Bridge in width, which is not bad. Do you know approximately how wide it is?

Methinks it's abit under the standard for width. What I'm trying to figure out are where the benches (for pedestrians) will be installed on the bridge. Otherwise we will be squished.

Quote Originally Posted by shootingstar View Post
    Methinks it's abit under the standard for width. What I'm trying to figure out are where the benches (for pedestrians) will be installed on the bridge. Otherwise we will be squished.
    Benches???

Now that's silly. Unless they're in a nook (sort of like the "balconies" along Burrard Bridge).

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    Benches???

Now that's silly. Unless they're in a nook (sort of like the "balconies" along Burrard Bridge).

I still haven't quite figured it out..unless I ask later.