Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Thanks for the suggestions!

I'll make sure to check and see if I'm doing some of the causes you brought up.

It would probably be smart to talk with the instructor too. We are planning to try it again Wed. or Friday so I'll keep you posted.
    For more details, check out my blog! http://stubborntriathlete.blogspot.com/

For all the randomness, follow me on twitter! http://twitter.com/ShootRunTri

Thanks, Oakleaf, for the DVD recommendations! Will check them out.

As for headaches, I have also experienced brief headaches and lightheadedness towards the end of class and immediately afterwards, but they pass quickly. I was wondering if they were from the downward dog position since we do that frequently towards the end of the routine. I also have problems relaxing my neck when doing the ab work. It tends to want to take on the work my abs should be doing.
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    Thanks, Oakleaf, for the DVD recommendations! Will check them out.

As for headaches, I have also experienced brief headaches and lightheadedness towards the end of class and immediately afterwards, but they pass quickly. I was wondering if they were from the downward dog position since we do that frequently towards the end of the routine. I also have problems relaxing my neck when doing the ab work. It tends to want to take on the work my abs should be doing.
    I find that for some reason, Pilates makes me very thirsty even though I don't sweat much. When that happens, I get headaches. Perhaps increasing your hydration in general and specifically before and after Pilates will help, too.

Thanks beeing so honest

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    I LOVE Pilates. I try to do a Stott Pilates DVD at least once a week, and/or whenever I just can't motivate to do an intense workout.

Just if you have any injuries or issues, be sure your instructor is well-trained. About.com has a (non-exclusive) list of major Pilates instructor training programs. There are a lot of "fly-by-night" sort of certifications, and similar to yoga, the cost and time commitment involved in truly learning to teach the Pilates method is so great that very few gym-based instructors are really competent. Healthy people who already have a basic "working knowledge" of their bodies can definitely benefit from gym classes, and/or from books or DVDs. But a well-trained instructor can offer so much more to anyone, and IMO is a necessity to someone starting out with an injury or back trouble, or who simply isn't an experienced exerciser.

Lest anyone think I'm dissing their program without good reason, I have one of those weekend certifications, and I sometimes get called on to sub as a Pilates instructor at my gym. I aced my "certification" exam, but I'm not qualified, and neither is any of our regular instructors. None of us at my gym knows how to analyze a student's movements, identify imbalances or prescribe modifications for someone who doesn't already know they need them.

I just love it... you are honest about your certification. Indeed, to become a professional pilates instructor, it just takes more than a weekend course...this is a long process, the trainer has to know how to instruct the proper positions, and be aware that some people have back/neck... problems. And not to mention it is an expensive education.
    I know a women she started to become a certif. pilates instructor... (crash course ) she has no qualification in this direction, her answer, I will learn and get better through the classes I teach... WOW... WOW... So I can study medicine and then practice on the patients...? I am shocked! All this Afaa and Ace and some of the Pilates education company's just want your money no interest in quality. They popp out instructors like in a factory...
    OK, there are also good trainers, which have a passion to help people!
    As a former professional ballet dancer, I can see right away who has a proper education in this field. So be careful... cheap classes are not always good for you. I go to the 24hour gym, what I see is like fast food exercises, low standart... I guess I just become more careful with my body as I age... I still want to walk when I am 90? ha ha ha

Pilates is a great excersise you just have to find the right teacher then you will see the progress very fast.

Resi

I've been working with a friend who has done Pilates for years. She's awesome - and I do love the exercises. I can tell a big difference in how well I can do the moves from week to week. Very cool.

I do have a questions - has anybody used the Pilates ring? Does it help? Just curious

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Ah, the Magic Circle. Yes it adds quite a workout. They come in different resistance levels. We don't use it all the time, just to mix things up once in a while and for an added challenge.

You can use the ring a lot of different ways, to add resistance for the core; to work arms and legs; and as an aid to alignment.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

We use a small ball, about the size of a large grapefruit.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I haven't used the ring (or even seen one), but am still doing the mat class religiously, and still love it!

I can really tell a difference in strength and flexibility since I started. I'm hooked! Also doing a yoga class one day a week and did my first backbend since high school yesterday! Woohoo...
    Emily

2011 Jamis Dakar XC "Toto" - Selle Italia Ldy Gel Flow
    2007 Trek Pilot 5.0 WSD "Gloria" - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow
    2004 Bike Friday Petite Pocket Crusoe - Selle Italia Diva Gel Flow

Quote Originally Posted by emily_in_nc View Post
    I haven't used the ring (or even seen one), but am still doing the mat class religiously, and still love it!

I can really tell a difference in strength and flexibility since I started. I'm hooked! Also doing a yoga class one day a week and did my first backbend since high school yesterday! Woohoo...
    When I did a mat class in DC, we would use the magic circle from time to time. It's great you are loving it! It turned my health around (I had bad hip and back problems). I hope to begin a formal mat class this summer. I took classes for several years, but since moving here have been doing it on my own.

Pilates has helped me more than physical therapy ever did.
    i can (almost) walk normally now.

It's funny, every time I try Pilates, it hurts. I hate it. I did it consistently about 4 years ago, but it never got better. The instructors are very qualified, too and I did lots of modifications. For some reason, yoga is much better for me.

What hurts??

Yoga doesn't have enough stretching in it for me. I like yogalates.
    Sugar free, lowfat

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Yoga doesn't have enough stretching in it for me.

King Pigeon. All the various back bends and shoulder openers. Eagle. Bending your toes past 90 degrees, whatever that's called. Lotus. Hero is actually reasonably comfortable for me, but there are people in my yoga class who actually have to sit on TWO blocks to get into Hero. Heck, even plain old Triangle is a pretty good stretch.

If that's not enough stretching for you I don't know any discipline that has more...
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

stretch

Pilates has helped me stay (almost) injury free . I don't do classes but attend a studio that creates individualized programs for you. I love stretching on the reformer!

Pilates even helped after I had my interesting bike crash. The folks started me off again two weeks after my incident with small movements & moved forward quite nicely.

+1 for Pilates done properly!