Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

How cold does it have to be to stop you?

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm curious about cold-weather bike riding. Obviously, I'll figure out my personal tolerance on my own by experience. But since this is my first winter as a bike owner, I am wondering.

Tonight I did ten miles and felt great at about 49 degrees (no wind). There were lots of runners but few bikers on the path, though -- which I found surprising.

Pam

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I can bike ok for an hour or two down to about 25F degrees if it's sunny.....35 if it's windy with no sun. All I need is dry clear roads and good clothing.
    Below 25 is really just too cold for me- my face starts hurting despite my balaclava and I can't keep my fingers from freezing even with 4 pairs of gloves (!)- I suppose 30 minutes might be ok though.

very few people around here too seem to ride when it's cold. A local bike club cuts off its rides when it's below 50- my husband and I were amazed! They must have awfully wimpy clothes.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I don't like riding below 38 degrees. It's damp here and there's black ice.
    Not to mention, you get hot and sweaty from exertion, even wearing lots of wool,it gets old to be damp with foggy glasses when it's cold out.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Haven't found it yet.

Coldest commute was four below zero, but it's only 7 miles.

45 degrees is about my favorite temperature - makes me giddy and exhilarated.

Heat stops me... or at least slows me 'way down.

Here in Vancouver, it's not the cold that stops me. It's the wet snow that gets stuck to your tire and that just becomes dangerous. Also, because we don't get a lot of snow here, when we do, the drivers are crazy! Our side streets don't get snow removal from the city, just the major roads. And since a lot of bike paths are along side streets, it's nearly impossible to ride unless you have studded tires.

I've felled over the handlebars twice in the last 12 years biking to work because of black ice. I was lucky because there was no traffic. But I am getting old and I don't know if I'm that in/sane anymore. But at the same time, our transit sucks too... decisions, decisions. I try not to think about it until the day comes.
    Last edited by buddha_bellies; 10-23-2008 at 07:23 PM.

I have yet to have cold do me in.... like Buddha says, its the ice that's the show stopper. When I lived in Rochester (flat as a pancake...) not even ice was a bother.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

When my eyeballs freeze, it's too cold.

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    and when do your eyeballs freeze, if I might ask???
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I've had a couple of 22 degree commutes this month. It will get colder. I think the coldest I did last year was in the single digits. I do have studded tires and they do help with the black ice. I really don't like ice. My bike handling skills aren't that good. My most memorable ride last winter was a PM commute. It was about 10 degrees, crystal clear, dark and totally exhilarated. Roads were mostly dry so there were few icy patches to worry about. I LOVE rides like that!

The only draw back to really cold weather riding is that you can't stop for very long or you get very cold. bikerHen

Quote Originally Posted by redrhodie View Post
    My eyes water alot when I ride. I have had tears freeze to my cheeks and glasses. bikerHen

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I wear eyeglasses, and had a lot of trouble the first winter with them feeling too cold on my face and fogging up, eyes tearing, etc. Then I got some fit-over plastic sunglasses that are rather goggle like, and that kept my glasses clear and warm and stopped the tearing.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    and when do your eyeballs freeze, if I might ask???
    Going down the hill by the beach, right at the start of many of my longer rides. It's a pretty steep hill with lots of traffic, and a big pot hole that I have to watch out for. My eyes tear up, and well, it gets hard to find the hole. I "should" know exactly where it is, but every ride, I just see it in time.

I wear glasses (transition prescriptions) and I wonder if there's anything I can do. Anyone have any ideas?

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    I wear eyeglasses, and had a lot of trouble the first winter with them feeling too cold on my face and fogging up, eyes tearing, etc. Then I got some fit-over plastic sunglasses that are rather goggle like, and that kept my glasses clear and warm and stopped the tearing.
    They fit over your glasses? Are they comfortable?

I wear glasses too and use the over-the-glasses goggle kind of thing in the laboratory. No, they aren't particularly comfortable but you get used to it. I'll be using them for winter biking as well since the cold air really REALLY bothers my eyes.
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

My commute is 40-60 min depending on the route I choose, and I pack it in at about -13 C/ 8 F. At that point my feet are in winter shoes with neoprene booties, and starting to feel the cold. I'd need chemical warmers, thermal booties (looking into PI's) or switch to platform pedals and hiking boots to be warm below that. Oslo rarely gets temps that low for more than a few days, though, so it's not worth the hassle.

At that point my bike is usually protesting too, all the lube is pretty stiff and half the gears are "gone"... so I put on a down jacket and go sit on the metro with a book instead
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett