Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Idiot-proof. That's why I like them!
    "I'm not an idiot, I just play one on tv!"

I've yet to learn even the simplest mtb skills, like lifting my front wheel, so my problem's really a lack of confidence. Oh, and that darned lack of suspension. But if I could survive having my fillings rattled out at Herrington Falls, I could probably survive Schaeffer. One day, when the weather's good and I'm feeling impervious to pain...
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    "I'm not an idiot, I just play one on tv!"

I've yet to learn even the simplest mtb skills, like lifting my front wheel, so my problem's really a lack of confidence. Oh, and that darned lack of suspension. But if I could survive having my fillings rattled out at Herrington Falls, I could probably survive Schaeffer. One day, when the weather's good and I'm feeling impervious to pain...

We seem to be at about the same skill level, so let me know if you ever want someone to go and be clueless with. If you're short, I have a spare hardtail mountain bike. Although, your cycocross bike is probably way nicer.

However, we may just reinforce bad habits in each other.

Braking seems to be a recipe for disaster, yet I can't stop myself from doing it.

I was at the bicycle escape the other day and talked to some guy for a while - I didn't pay attention to his name, but he was discouraging me from buying a full carbon bike and thought I just should adjust the fit on my current bike and put wider tires on it.
    Last edited by Cataboo; 10-24-2008 at 10:06 AM.

Yeah, braking's an issue for me, too. My bike screams like a stuck pig going downhill in the woods

You'll definitely have to join the DC-TE gang for some rides. As a group, we do rides all the way from Rosaryville over in PG county, in downtown DC, and out to the C&O Canal and Civil War Century near you (plus lots in between).

Like Bike Dr, Escape has added some new staff over the last 1-2 years and I haven't talked to any of the new guys. Haven't even talked to Tom for a while, since I've been too broke to be able to buy anything bike-related. I had just begun talking to him about building up a new bike when I suddenly had to put one of my veterinarian's children through college instead
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."

Yeah, braking's an issue for me, too. My bike screams like a stuck pig going downhill in the woods

You'll definitely have to join the DC-TE gang for some rides. As a group, we do rides all the way from Rosaryville over in PG county, in downtown DC, and out to the C&O Canal and Civil War Century near you (plus lots in between).

Like Bike Dr, Escape has added some new staff over the last 1-2 years and I haven't talked to any of the new guys. Haven't even talked to Tom for a while, since I've been too broke to be able to buy anything bike-related. I had just begun talking to him about building up a new bike when I suddenly had to put one of my veterinarian's children through college instead

I hope that means you at least have a happy pet.

I went on a bike buying spree (that or I left them in the shed altogether and they proliferated on their own) at the beginning of the summer, so I still need to sell 2 bikes and am recovering from those expenditures. I've been watching craigslist to pick up pieces to build a beater commuter bike because I can't see riding my nice bikes a mile to chain them up outside all day to ride 1 to 5 miles home. Unfortunately, the price of beat up frames and bikes seems kind of high on craigslist lately, and driving more than 5 miles out of my way to pay too much for a crappy bike isn't appealing. But unfortunately while watching craigslist, I invariably pick up some other bike related thing that I want.

I tend to do most of my bike shopping online, it'd just be nice to have a knowledgeable store that I can pop into to buy tools when needed ASAP or just go try out 20 saddles at a time and buy the one I like best even if it means I have to pay full price.

The rides sound great, I'll keep an eye on here to see if any are posted.

What're you selling?

One's a trek 1500 road bike, 650 wheels, spare mavic helium front wheel, full shimano 105 9 speed triple. (that's upgraded from the specs for the 2004 model). Carbon fiber front fork. Some scratches on it. I bought it off ebay and just didn't like the fit. I'm not sure if it's a wsd, but it does have a short top tube.

The other's a trek 14" 6700 wsd mountain bike, rockshox judy front fork, 2002 I think (could be wrong). Full deore with a deore lx rear derailleur. I bought it from some woman who'd rode it only a couple of times on road only, and I rode it on my bf's "baby trails" twice and then got the titanium litespeed mountain bike which is a bit cushier of a ride.

So... I've been thinking that I really don't need 3 road bikes and 2 mountain bikes, so those 2 have to go. 2 road bikes I can justify.
    Last edited by Cataboo; 10-24-2008 at 12:15 PM.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    What're you selling?
    You need a real road bike.
    And a real mountain bike.
    None of this half-@ssed stuff of a 'cross bike....a bike that does, well, everything, but doesn't do everything well.
    Start fillin' up that place with bikes. DB and I will show you The Way!

Oh....and while my vet's kid won't go Ivy League, DH and I have certainly been contributing to their college fund ourselves lately....

Oh...and again...we'll have to get a TE Mtb ride together soon. DB can teach us what she learned. I can show y'all how to crash. It'll be great fun!
    Last edited by 7rider; 10-24-2008 at 03:53 PM.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

I don't ride a lot of road. I don't ride a lot of mountain. I also don't have much money or storage space. So, one bike that can handle a little of everything makes sense to me.

I hope the buns are ok!

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I don't ride a lot of road. I don't ride a lot of mountain. I also don't have much money or storage space. So, one bike that can handle a little of everything makes sense to me.

I hope the buns are ok!
    Can't blame me for trying!

Buns are entering into an expensive maintenence phase of their life. My male rabbit is on bi-monthly hormone therapy and his little girlfriend with the gimpy hind leg has some ear issues that are being cultured now. Sigh. Nine years of "easy" has come home home to roost.
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Aw, poor Noah I certainly hope there won't be any weird side effects from that hormone treatment.

I've got my fingers crossed for good weather on Thanksgiving day. It'd be great to anniversary our Rosey ride from last year, if everyone's schedules permit.

The bike I bought from F8th is very much like Catriona's (trunk rack photo).
    If you can ride Rosaryville on a cross bike I can do it on that.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I'm guessing noone's going to convince me to buy a cyclocross bike on here.

And apparently I had no idea what went into raising bunnies.

I loooove my 'cross bike. If you're in the market for one, I'll happily extol it's virtues for you

Just don't expect it to handle trails like Herrington Manor.

I loooove my 'cross bike. If you're in the market for one, I'll happily extol it's virtues for you

Just don't expect it to handle trails like Herrington Manor.
    I can't really justify one - although there's a number of roads around Frederick that they've gravel chipped instead of actually repaving and it'd be nice to not have to avoid them.

I have a spare set of road wheels that I'm using for my trainer for now and was going to use them for my commuter/beater when I get a frame for it - so I think I'll just put a wider tire on those if I ever want something more cross like.