Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean

Canada Line bike bridge deck

To disable ads, please log-in.

My partner was one of a handful cyclists from the advocacy groups that was invited to see and comment on the new bike bridge deck that will be under the Canada Line transit commuter train line in Vancouver ..set to open in late 2009. So you will be able to cycle from the Vancouver airport over the Fraser River and make your way more hassle free into downtown.

Of course, then you could also jump onto the train with bike and ton of baggage from airport also.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-17-2009 at 03:13 PM.

Cool, I really look forward to that crossing! (It will solve Buddha Bellies' problem too!)

Oh! I'm so excited!! I can't wait to test ride the bridge. Did your husband get to cycle across it?

I am guessing this means you can get from the train station to downtown that way as well?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Quote Originally Posted by Biciclista View Post
    I am guessing this means you can get from the train station to downtown that way as well?
    Yes, the train goes directly from the airport in Richmond all the way to downtown Vancouver. Right now, going across the river to Richmond can be confusing if not somewhat scary. So this would definately be more relaxing and enjoyable. I'm not sure how Richmond has their bike lanes set up. But along Cambie, where the train will be running below ground, there's a designated bike path. There're 2 existing bike paths near Cambie as it is already so getting to the bridge would be no problem at all. How exciting!! And it's great that the station is at the bottom of the hill. If I'm lazy, I can always hop onto the metro and let it take me up the hill. Sweet!

He and other invited cyclists were not allowed to cycle the Canadian Line bike bridge deck for safety reasons, because part of the bike deck didn't have the rail completely installed.

The cyclists were there for a quality control inspection..which I thought was a big step ...months before the structure/route is set to open to the public for use.

Instead he joined in on a walk - around inspection. To your far upper left, you can see the start of the deck cabling.

Now if it weren't for problems I have right now, in downloading my email, I would be posting more pics. So in a few days later, some more different stuff...still bike bridge stuff.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-17-2009 at 03:13 PM.

So I take it the set up is similar to the East side of Cambie bridge then? The pedestrains and cyclist share a wide path? From the Canada Line illustration, I thought they would be seperated?

This will be a shared path. This bike deck costed $10 million dollars to build. It took significant lobbying of various cycling groups to get it integrated at design stage.

To have built a separated pedestrian route it would have an additional same cost. But if that were done, the whole Skytrain superstructure bridge would have to be redesigned to hold more additional weight.

This multi-use path hangs off the new Skytrain structure. There is an overhang above also to protect cyclists when crossing the river.

Daniel and I went by it today! Oh! I can't wait until it's done. Is there a chance that it might be open sooner then next November? It looks like it's almost completed. There are trains being tested. I would imagine getting all the safety measures in, esp. the bike path, would take less then a year to complete? Would Jack know by any chance?

Grog took us over Arthur Laing bridge today. I don't think I'll do that bridge unless there's no or very little wind. I had a real hard time fighting my road bike and making sure I don't get blown into traffic. Oak street bridge felt safer going and coming over. Maybe it's pschological? I don't know. The barrier seems to calm me a bit more. Or maybe the wind had died down by then.

Quote Originally Posted by buddha_bellies View Post
    Daniel and I went by it today! Oh! I can't wait until it's done. Is there a chance that it might be open sooner then next November? It looks like it's almost completed. There are trains being tested. I would imagine getting all the safety measures in, esp. the bike path, would take less then a year to complete? Would Jack know by any chance?

Grog took us over Arthur Laing bridge today. I don't think I'll do that bridge unless there's no or very little wind. I had a real hard time fighting my road bike and making sure I don't get blown into traffic. Oak street bridge felt safer going and coming over. Maybe it's pschological? I don't know. The barrier seems to calm me a bit more. Or maybe the wind had died down by then.
    So obviously you have a safe place at work to store your precious bike inside daily. Great! Yea, bridges are wonderful....uh in the winter-time...not really ..only if dry and little wind. Challenge of being in Vancouver..enough road bridges to plan regular long bike trips. But admitttedly there are some terrific views ..if you tell yourself to ignore the traffic (both cars and soemtimes pedestrian) around you.

The Canada Line Bridge in terms of the bike deck portion, could conceivably open several months earlier than November 2009..the official opening date for the Skytrain extension for trains to run to airport, etc.

However it is recommended that you phone Translink and make your case...to open the bike deck sooner. There would be many good reasons, including to accommodate cyclists in summer 2009. And HEY, the Golden Ears Bridge with its bike route on bridge over the Fraser River will be done by then (end of June 2009 is target date).

Jack feels the bike Skytrain path deck could be conceivably open in the next month ...but he's not sure of why the delay.

Make your case to Translink...the more phone calls/emails to them, the better.
    Last edited by shootingstar; 10-25-2008 at 04:31 PM.

That's a great idea! I will call and get my friends to call Translink and ask. I could see why they might have problems for some cyclists who are not familiar with Richmond on how to get around that area to a bike path. I would've been lost too if it wasn't for a friend that took us there after the bike ride today. And I supposed they can say that there are still a lot of trucks and heavy equipments around... we'll see what they say. Thanks for the idea!

It WAS terribly windy. One of those days when I curse the flat spokes on my bike. I was literally leaning on the wind. It's seldom that bad though.

I'm glad you found Oak Street bridge to be better. Personally I hate being stuck between two guard rails but Oak Street Bridge is definitely better in that regard than the 2nd Narrows bridge (which is VERY narrow). You just have to be really careful getting on it on the west side (although you could also go on the east side when going to Richmond).

Let us know how it works out!

And I will call Translink this week. Any specific contact person?

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    And I will call Translink this week. Any specific contact person?
    It is advised that members of the public write to the Translink Board:
    board@translink.bc.ca
    Opening up part of the new SkyTrain extension line earlier, is a serious matter which would be taken to the board level. Translink CEO is relatively new and all board members are senior/executive managers.

To reach the full-time staff manager/person who deals exclusively with cycling matters at Translink. This person/his senior manager, would still have to take to the board level.
    604-453-4563

Quote Originally Posted by Grog View Post
    I'm glad you found Oak Street bridge to be better. Personally I hate being stuck between two guard rails but Oak Street Bridge is definitely better in that regard than the 2nd Narrows bridge (which is VERY narrow). You just have to be really careful getting on it on the west side (although you could also go on the east side when going to Richmond).

Let us know how it works out!
    It was really nice biking to work today. I went along Ontario until 59th and then west until Hudson. From there I went south all the way to 72nd, went up half a block to the pedestrian crossing to Oak street bridge. Once in Richmond, I just follow Garden City Road until Landsdown and zigzag my way to work. It was actually a nice ride. Took only 40 mins, which is actually faster then bus.

Oh! I found 59th avenue really quiet. It's probably a good route to head east/west in South Vancouver. The part I biked was newly pathed!! SMOOTH LIKE BUTTER!

And Oak Street bridge is actually wide enough for 2 bikes to pass each other. Yes, you'd have to squeeze a bit, but nothing too bad (unlike Knight).

Coming home, I took the east side of the bridge and did something Grog probably wouldn't approve: I biked along the sidewalk on Marine Drive (really slow) until Heather. Daniel mentioned that Kent would probably be not a good idea during rush hour since a lot of trucks and couriers use that back road to get back to the airport. Dunno. Maybe I'll try it on Thurs. But for now. I'm happy to say I really like the ride over and back.
    Last edited by buddha_bellies; 10-28-2008 at 08:04 PM. Reason: more to say

Great job on the commute Buddha_Bellies! It sounds like this is going to work well for you.

I'll let my sweet partner know about 59th, maybe he'll want to ride there sometime!

I haven't noticed heavy traffic on Kent but I don't take it very often. At the end of the day the traffic would be mostly East to West I think.

Keep us posted!