Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by melissam View Post
    You know me -- I'm always up for Calaveras!

OTOH, I'm not sure I have it in me to do a copycat ride of Veronica's epic journey on Mt. Diablo. You might think it's because I'm lazy and don't feel like climbing Diablo. Well, that would only be partially true.

Or you might think that I'm chicken and don't want to descend Diablo when the road's wet. That's true too, but it's not the deal breaker.

It's that whole exposure to freezing wind thing that gets to me. My fingers turned blue just thinking about it.

What time are we thinking of meeting up tomorrow, and where should we meet?
    Well I am chicken and don't want to descend Diablo on wet pavement. There, I said it. Calaveras sounds much more civilized.

9:00 is fine for me, at the Sunol Glen School in beautiful downtown Sunol.
    I'm certainly open on the time though.

Quote Originally Posted by dachshund View Post
    Well I am chicken and don't want to descend Diablo on wet pavement. There, I said it. Calaveras sounds much more civilized.

I'm certainly open on the time though.
    Thank goodness someone was brave enough to say it.

OK, 9am @ Sunol Glen School sounds like a plan to me. I think I'll bring the Merlin and see how she likes the rain.
    I'll get back on the bike soon, I promise!

Have fun ladies. I'm wondering what racing in the rain is going to be like...

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Good luck, Veronica!!

Have fun, and be careful out there!

- Mel

I've raced a tri in the rain in Woodland - over Labor Day weekend when the roads were covered with squished tomatoes and the first treadless road tires were out. The bike shop owner smiled and said "let us know how they work."

In tri, you should be in a pack so it's not that huge a deal. You can control your line and speed.
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Yes, good luck Veronica! I'll be interested in hearing about it.

I ride in the rain enough that I don't worry about that.

It's the running in the rain...and mud.

I'll have a report after. Hopefully Thom will be able to get some pictures.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Riding and racing on slick roads is a bit different. You tend to stop thinking about fishtailing.

The run is on the pavement. Why would you be in the mud?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Well, I'm one huge wimp. Getting up EARLY, on a Saturday, to go ride in what Weather Underground says is 100% probability of rain all day, is strangely just not appealing to me. I think ... I will sleep in, have breakfast, then hop on the trainer for some quality time with ECT! Yeah, that's the ticket!

Have fun all you hardy souls!

Tour di Stupid, Stage 1 (the Prologue)

Yesterday dachshund and I completed Stage 1 of the Tour di Stupid. The route was perfect for a Tour prologue -- not too challenging, but with beautiful scenery. According to my Garmin Training Center, we climbed 2197 feet, which when translated to US feet, means that our total elevation gain was ~500 feet. OK, maybe a little more than 500 feet, but probably closer to 500 feet than 2200 feet.

We started at the civilized hour of 9am, and the wind was gusting pretty steadily from the west. Clouds were threatening to open up, but since this was the Tour di Stupid Prologue, dachshund and I decided to head out and see what happened.

The weather cooperated as we made our way up Calaveras past the nursery -- we stopped at Geary to shed some layers. We climbed up to the false summit and continued on the rolling hills until we got to the part before the Wall. There's a dirt driveway with a locked gate that's a great stopping place -- I used it to re-align my cleats the last time we were there. This time, we stopped and began chatting about ... well, lots of stuff. It's really interesting how the stream of consciousness works when you're out on a ride. I mean, one second you're talking about the upcoming election, and the next thing you know, you're trading stories about your misspent 20's.

Eventually, we decided to resume our ride back to the starting point. After about 100 yards of pedaling, the sky starts to open up. I put on my best "glass is half full" mentality and hoped it would just be a temporary drizzle. No such luck. After another mile or so, I decided that it'd be best to put the sleeves back on my jacket. Good thing, because my sleeves were already sopping wet. And this is with a wool jersey too! I took my full fingered gloves off to better work the zippers, and they were literally wringing wet. Oh boy, this is gonna be a fun ride back!

Meanwhile, dachshund decided to ditch her glasses, since she couldn't see thru the beads of water anyway. I tried a different approach -- looking over my glasses to see, but trying to use the glasses as a shield from the raindrops. Uh, my way was stupid, so I ended up ditching my glasses as well. I have to say that riding without corrective lenses is an interesting experience for a nearsighted person. Just ride into the blur! It really wasn't a problem...well, until we encountered the flock of turkeys in the side of the road on Calaveras. I think the leader of the turkey pack was trying to play chicken with the blind cyclist -- almost with devastating results.

I also confirmed the fact that my cycling shoes are not waterproof. Nope, not in the least. Every time I stood up to pedal, I'd squish out a bunch of water.

Actually, it was kind of fun.

We got back to the parking lot, no worse but much wetter for wear. I threw all modesty aside and changed right there in the parking lot. Dachshund, who's much more civilized, waited until we got to Bosco's to change.

It was a truly excellent adventure and a worthy prologue to the Tour di Stupid (Lite).

Nice writeup, melissam!

The good news was that it only rained during half the ride. The bad news was that it rained during the descent. It's a blessing there weren't any horribly steep sections. Since it didn't feel very dangerous, it was actually pretty darn hilarious. Descending in the rain - not a bad skill to acquire. Brake early and often.

Sorry I couldn't warn you about the turkeys in time. What's the proper call for turkeys up ahead? "Turkeys up"? Hmm. Not sure. Gotta work on that.

Sorry I couldn't warn you about the turkeys in time. What's the proper call for turkeys up ahead? "Turkeys up"? Hmm. Not sure. Gotta work on that.
    I think the better question is: how come you saw the turkeys and I didn't? Kind of an enigma...

Quote Originally Posted by melissam View Post
    I think the better question is: how come you saw the turkeys and I didn't? Kind of an enigma...
    Bird watcher... what can I say?

It sounds like you had fun.

Veronica

TandemHearts.com

Quote Originally Posted by Veronica View Post
    It sounds like you had fun.

Veronica
    Oh yes, I'm sure that dachshund will agree that we most certainly had fun.