Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

biking over the bridges from Vancouver to Richmond

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just found out my company is going to transfer me to one of their Richmond locations. I've never biked over the Knight or Oak bridge. Has anyone have any experience biking over these bridges? Anything I should be aware of? And which one is easier to get on/off it? I live by the Windsor bike lane.

Would anyone like to go for a ride with me and show me how to get over the bridge safely?

Thanks!!!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    I've only biked once on each of those bridges with someone else. And I have yet to familiarize with roads to and from Richmond on my own by bike beyond the airport.

If Grog hasn't done those bridges many times, I would be surprised. Her in-laws live in Richmond.

And I go to the historic Chinatown (just a 15 min. bike ride away), not Richmond Chinatown to shop. But Canada Line bike deck will change that abit later probably.

What joy, Richmond. (better than Langley in terms of commuting)..hope you figure out an efficient safe route for a commute.

I haven't ridden across the bridge since 1980 so can't give any, but wanted to chime in a say "Hey! I grew up in Richmond! One and Granville... good times..."
    It is never too late to be what you might have been. ~ George Elliot

My podcast about being a rookie triathlete:Kelownagurl Tris Podcast

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Hey kg, I cycled over the bike path on the newish Bennett bridge in Kelowna..on Thxgiving Monday.

I have to say that the pavement surface was abit slippery and done on the cheap side. It was windy, but cloudy and.... dry day. For certain in rain and strong head/cross wind, I wouldn't be totally comfortable on that type of cycling surface. And I don't even have thin cycling wheel slicks. Or maybe I'm a whimp... Or spoiled by cycling on Lion's Gate Bridge.

Yup the same bike fence steel fabricators used for Bennett Bridge is being used for the Golden Ears Bridge. I just dearly hope the cycling surface is better..hmmmmm.