Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yeah! Good job! Now you know you can do anything you set your mind to (If you didn't know that already!)
    "Well-behaved women seldom make history." --Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

'09 Trek WSD 2.1 with a Brooks B-68 saddle
    '11 Trek WSD Madone 5.2 with Brooks B-17

Thanks everyone. (((GROUP HUG)))

Again, the advice here was priceless. We never stopped for more than 10 mins and I had plenty of engery gels and shot blocks. I think I want a bento box for the next one cause I did not like the extra weight of my full pockets of my jersey.

I was plenty fit and recovered 100% by the next day except for the knee. It is going to need more ice therapy in preparation (it was bothering me a little on thurs before the ride and I should have started icing it then- next time I will!).

I am also extremely grateful for finding a riding partner that did not hold me back or drop me. He and I made a great team and I hope to co-ordinate with him in the future.

Ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory) I used to avoid all over-the-counter medications, but when I hurt my back, I realized being proactive is better than being laid up. (Just make sure you have food in your stomache). I took some before my century and didn't need it during, but had it with me.
    Last edited by TrekTheKaty; 10-21-2008 at 09:58 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cunninghamair View Post
    Ibuprofen (anti-inflammatory) I used to avoid all over-the-counter medications, but when I hurt my back, I realized being proactive is better than being laid up. (Just make sure you have food in your stomache). I took some before my century and didn't need if during, but had it with me.
    YES!!

Funny thing is that I never take ANYTHING (except when I have cramps but that only happens every few months if at all) but I had brought some ibuprofen with me and had it in my truck because I was worried about my back. I didnt anticipate the knee. I figured out pretty quickly to take it with food. Next time I will carry some with me on the ride!

Awesome ride, good job! I have one this weekend and am stoked. The weather is supposed to cool down. I wanted to suggest using Alcis for your knee. Its a topical pain med, over the counter and works great. My husband and I use it after heay training days and it really helps.

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    Awesome ride, good job! I have one this weekend and am stoked. The weather is supposed to cool down. I wanted to suggest using Alcis for your knee. Its a topical pain med, over the counter and works great. My husband and I use it after heay training days and it really helps.
    Thank you! Unfortunately Alcis and other products like Surpass (a horse product people I know use) contain several parabens and I really try to avoid them when possible. I use Traumeel but cant say that I feel a difference.

Good luck this weekend!

Great job!

This from the official ride photographer. I think we are approaching the lunch stop at around 55 miles.

I took the bike in today and we lower the seat and moved the saddle a hair forward. Hard to tell just yet if it will make the difference as my knee is still sore but I am optimistic!

Okay, I am going to let you in on a little secret. Ice baths. My husband trains for tri's, and swears by them. He is 6'6", 250 lbs., needless to say very hard on himself, used to play football. When he runs he gets sore knees. The ice baths really help and take away the soreness. Just thought I'd pass it along. The photo is great, my mom is in Ocala. I used to ride horses there. Great town.
    My century got rained out.
    Hope your knees get better. Just a question? What kind of cleats and pedal system do you have? Maybe if you have look, a little more float(red cleat) might help.

Quote Originally Posted by kermit View Post
    Okay, I am going to let you in on a little secret. Ice baths. My husband trains for tri's, and swears by them. He is 6'6", 250 lbs., needless to say very hard on himself, used to play football. When he runs he gets sore knees. The ice baths really help and take away the soreness. Just thought I'd pass it along. The photo is great, my mom is in Ocala. I used to ride horses there. Great town.
    My century got rained out.
    Hope your knees get better. Just a question? What kind of cleats and pedal system do you have? Maybe if you have look, a little more float(red cleat) might help.
    Thanks, I had a marathon runner tell me about ice baths but I wimped out of trying it this time.

I have speedplay 5x pedals, so lots of float!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I've found Arnica gel to really help with aches and pains.

I like your new avatar, Arielmoon!

Wow! That is so great! I am very impressed and inspired!
    The pics are wonderful... How did you get those pics of your riding partners' back? Impressive.
    Join Me for the Women's Winter Workout Challenge!
    On my blog at:
    http://momonbikemob.blogspot.com

Thank you!

It was quite interesting actually. I had my tiny little digital camera in my jersey pocket but I had no idea if they were going to turn out! I didnt slow down and I couldnt see other than to get Connor in the right side of the frame. I dont think he even knew I was taking them either!