Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

CA's coming to San Diego...

To disable ads, please log-in.

in mid-November. Looks like there are a few TE folks. Haven't decided whether to bring my bike (I have a Friday, so it's not that big a hassle) - I'm leaning towards yes. Would appreciate any "must see" or "must do" lists. It's my first time visiting - DH will be in a conference most of the week (he has at least one day off, though). Any ideas?? Anyone want to get together?

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Well, San Diego is a tourist heaven with San Diego Zoo, Sea World, Wild life park (bit far from down town SD). There are places to see and walk like the Balboa park, Gas Lamp district with Croce's ( I think its still there) nice place to dine and listen to music. Don't know how old you are so you may or may not be interested in Jim Croce memoribilia. But its there. (early 70's folk music. time in a bottle, operator, I've got a name ). And if you are into shopping, right by the gas lamp district and croce's, there is Horton shopping plaza. it was pretty nice back... oh my 18 years ago...

OMG its been that long ago since I lived in north SD...

I think blonde biker is from that area and she can help you out. Check out AAA guide.
    November weather in SD can vary a lot so bring something warm, something for hot weather, and cool nights. It may even rain.

AND UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCE GO INTO NATIONAL CITY OR ACROSS THE BORDER INTO TIJUANA. WE ARE AT LOW POINT AGAIN FOR TOURIST SAFETY.

smilingcat
    Last edited by smilingcat; 10-11-2008 at 08:59 PM. Reason: added new info

OK - got it - no Mexico for me (at least this trip). I'm too young to remember Jim Croce, but LOVE his music anyway. Looks like the restaurant is still there, and I'll definitely be visiting!

Otherwise.....good biking? The bike routes look impressive. I'd presume mostly flat towards the cost - but how hilly elsewhere? Safety concerns riding?

Many thanks,
    CA

Any bike recommendations after your trip? Good bike rental places? I'm leaving for San Diego tomorrow, so looking forward to some nice weather and some riding!
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

We actually haven't gone yet - a week and a half until we leave

I did hear from a friend that there's a nice bike path on Coronado Island and that most anywhere up and down the coast would be a good ride.

Please let me know what you find out!! You'll be out there and back before we leave

I will! I'm looking for a place to rent a decent road bike, so will report back.
    Girl meets bike. Bike leads girl to a life of grime: http://mudandmanoloscycling.com/

Trek San Diego has group rides if you're interested every Saturday. I haven't been on one but I heard they are pretty good if you're a new/intermediate rider, plus they always make sure no one is left behind. I believe they have 2 groups that go at different speeds (the slower one finishes in a little less than an hour for the 23 mile ride on the 56 I think). http://treksandiego.com/page.cfm?pageID=59

The Ranchos Cycling club also has group rides on the weekend that are longer and faster. http://www.ranchoscycling.org/rides.php They haven't posted the November ride schedule but if you're interested, you can email them. Again, I haven't ridden with them, they are quite above my level since I just started and only go about 10-20 miles a weekend

Also, on the other thread I mentioned the 56 bike path which is one of the rides Trek does. I have ridden it and it's very comfortable, definitely not a challenging ride though since it's fairly flat.

Enjoy your stay and stay away from Tijuana!

I really like the five-mile path around Lake Miramar, about thirty minutes from downtown San Diego on I-15 north, near Miramar Marine Corps Air Station.

It's got some mild hills, lots of turns, and a gorgeous view of the lake all along the way. There's also an overlook where, on a clear day, you can see ocean. It's really pretty, and in the middle of the day, it's not very crowded at all.

There's a ten-mile path around Mission Bay, too, but parts of it involve traffic lights. You get a great view of the bay, though.

If you get up to La Jolla, try to get over to the Children's Pool and check out the seals. There is a lawsuit going on that wants to get rid of the seals and return the beach to the humans, but for now, it's a great opportunity to see seals up close and personal. It's one of the more amazing sites that I've seen here, and it's free.

And as long as you're in La Jolla, head up to the top of Mt. Soledad for an incredibly view.

And if you've got the time for a little day trip, head up into the mountains to Julian and get some hot apple cider. The weather is finally turning and it should be cool up there. It's a Gold Rush era town. It used to be a stagecoach stop, too. When the gold ran out, though, they turned to apple orchards and now they're famous for apple pies and cider and jellies. Oh, and antiques. It's pretty neat.

And yeah, stay away from Tijuana. They've got a drug lord war going on right now. It's horrifying, what's going on down there.

Oh, if you're into wine country type stuff, check out Temecula up north of San Diego about an hour. Lots of wineries up there. Nice spas, too. It's great for romantic getaways.

OH, one more thing, you must, must, must have a fish taco while you're here. Stop in at any Rubio's Fish Taco place and order a Pesky Platter. My favorite meal there, though, is the Tropical Wrapsalada. Mucho gusto.

Have fun while you're here!

Roxy

Quote Originally Posted by bluebug32 View Post
    Any bike recommendations after your trip? Good bike rental places? I'm leaving for San Diego tomorrow, so looking forward to some nice weather and some riding!
    We're getting the first "rain" we've had in several months. Now, rain in San Diego usually means that our patios might get damp enough not to walk around barefoot on. It's mist. Barely. Sunday I spent the day working outside and sat down in a patio chair and literally took a nap in the middle of the big storm.

Now, having said that, should it actually get wet out on the roads, do not, I repeat, do not trust San Diego drivers to observe safe wet weather driving protocols. People out here do not know how to drive in the rain...er, mist. Traffic accidents increase by over 200% whenever it gets a little wet out here.

We can't really blame it all on the driving, though, because there are months' worth of oil residue and a little bit of water makes it all really slick.

Just be really careful if you're out on the streets. Also, if we get a real rain, don't go in the ocean. All that runoff makes for unhealthy swimming conditions.

Check out Old Town, too. It's a fun afternoon, and there's a real haunted house - the Whaley House - on San Diego Avenue. It's one of two registered haunted houses in the state, the other being the Winchester Mansion up in San Jose.

Where are you both staying? What part of town, I mean. San Diego is really a huge place. The county of San Diego is larger than the state of Rhode Island.

Peace, all,

Roxy

Just returned from an amazing week in San Diego staying with a friend from Pacific Beach. The weather was incredible and we took full advantage of it with a hike through Torrie Pines and back along the beach, a walk through La Jolla and to see the seals, a hike up Cals mountain (not sure if this is correct name), but nice views along the way and from the top. I also rented a Specialized Allez Elite from B&L Bikes (they have two locations) and did a 35 mile ride up the coast, starting near Torrie Pines. I'll try to post some pics. soon. Oh, and the food. Amazing and not too expensive! Rubios' lobster tacos were awesome. We went a couple of times. We also had some fabulous sushi in downtown San Diego. Other than that, we probably visited about 20 bike shops. Pearl Izumi has an outlet up there that's definitely worth checking out (near La Jolla), and there are a lot of higher end shops that are worth stopping in just to drool. Luckily my friend is getting married on the bay next year, so I'm looking forward to going back!