Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 16 of 40 FirstFirst ... 612131415161718192026 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

No cannelinis from my garden; dried (cooked) is what will go in the soup!

I haven't even got any regular green beans from my garden yet. I think in about 2 weeks.

MMMM raspberries - i tried growing blackberries here; but they don't like my yard. They do grow in some places in town, however.

Sorry to join in late and miss all the fun.

Does anyone have an effective way of getting the green worms off the broccoli? (Someone told me soak it in salt water, but it doesn't seem to work very well.)

Hand picking is best. They're well camouflaged, but finding them is part of the Zen of gardening. (Although I don't suppose it's very Zen to squish them after you find them. )

In a pinch, Bt (Bacillus thuringensis, brand name Thuricide) is considered organic - it's a bacterium that specifically targets Lepidoptera larvae. Right now I'm using an old syringe to inject Bt into squash vine borer holes.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

I've not read a single page of this thread so pardon me if this question's been posed:

I have a mystery squash (from my compost, either banana squash or acorn), and while it's growing like a weed and producing a lot of blooms, not many end in fruit. And what's worse, the fruit that it does bear, soon turns yellow and dies. Any ideas?

ok, another squash question:

My zucchini's doing similar things. Tons of flowers, but I've only gotten one zucchini so far. Do you know why some are just flowers and others actually turn into a squash?

p.s. they're in terra cotta pots.

Artificial insemination for squash.

The one from your compost is as likely to be an inedible gourd (the result of something hybridized either intentionally by the grower or randomly in the garden) as anything you want to save, but it could be fun to just let it grow and find out.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

This is what I picked from "my" garden yesterday. The giant zucchini is 15" long! Wax beans, string beans, just a few peas, those didn't take well, and some banana peppers. I see the bell peppers are starting to bud, as are the eggplant and yellow squash. Tomatoes are growing, but nowhere near ready for harvest. There is still plenty more zucchini to come, I saw several I could have picked and then some nubs just starting to grow, and there were lots of flowers meaning more are on the way. I wish I knew which flowers I could pick so I can fry them up.

Quote Originally Posted by NoNo View Post

This is what I picked from "my" garden yesterday. The giant zucchini is 15" long! Wax beans, string beans, just a few peas, those didn't take well, and some banana peppers. I see the bell peppers are starting to bud, as are the eggplant and yellow squash. Tomatoes are growing, but nowhere near ready for harvest. There is still plenty more zucchini to come, I saw several I could have picked and then some nubs just starting to grow, and there were lots of flowers meaning more are on the way. I wish I knew which flowers I could pick so I can fry them up.
    IT's looking yummy nono

Quote Originally Posted by OakLeaf View Post
    Hand picking is best. They're well camouflaged, but finding them is part of the Zen of gardening. (Although I don't suppose it's very Zen to squish them after you find them. )

In a pinch, Bt (Bacillus thuringensis, brand name Thuricide) is considered organic - it's a bacterium that specifically targets Lepidoptera larvae. Right now I'm using an old syringe to inject Bt into squash vine borer holes.
    I'm winding up hand picking (as I'm processing)- I'm just afraid I'll miss one and serve up broccoli with worms (spraying makes me a little nervous- organic or not I think some of the organic stuff is sometimes still toxic).

Here's another question- how do you tell when your garlic is finished drying (it's been on the balcony for a week)?

If you want a quick way to get those worms out, dip your veggie in a pot of boiling water (literally, just dip it, don't boil it). The worms die, turn a bright yellow, and generally fall off. Even if they don't all fall off, they are much easier to spot when they are yellow!

(I learned this with my Kale - worm city!)
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I keep planting little rows of lettuces in my new garden- like a couple little rows each week to have a successive harvest.
    i love all the different textures and colors of the different kinds!...bright green, dark green, green with purple flecks, solid dark purple, ruffled, smooth...so pretty to gaze at!
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Zucchini Recipes for mickchick -

This is a reasonably healthy version that is quite tasty (it's not going to be as rich as my grandmothers pumpkin bread, but not using a full cup of oil will do that to a recipe ):

Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
    Natural cooking spray
    1 1/2 cups whole wheat pastry flour
    1/2 teaspoon salt
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    1/2 teaspoon baking powder
    1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
    1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
    1 egg
    1/3 cup expeller pressed canola oil
    1/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
    2 tablespoons plain yogurt
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    2 teaspoons vanilla extract
    1 cup grated zucchini
    1/4 cup finely chopped walnuts

Method
    Preheat oven to 325°F. Spray an 8-inch loaf pan with natural cooking spray and set aside.

In a large bowl, sift together flour, salt, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon and nutmeg. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, oil, applesauce, yogurt, sugar and vanilla. Add flour mixture and stir until well combined. Fold in zucchini and walnuts then transfer batter to prepared pan and bake until risen, deep golden brown and a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, 50 to 60 minutes.

Cool in pan on rack for 30 minutes then remove bread from pan and continue cooling on rack. Freezes very well.

And the cookies (this recipe came from the Washington Post and I altered it a bit to reduce the fat & sugar):

Zucchini Chocolate Chip Cookies

Ingredients
    1 egg, beaten
    1/4 cup butter, softened
    ¼ cup unsweetened applesauce
    3/4 cup brown sugar
    1 tablespoon vanilla extract
    2 cups of whole wheat pastry flour (1 cup of white + 1 cup of whole wheat also works)
    ½ teaspoon baking soda
    ¼ teaspoon salt
    ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
    ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
    1 cup finely shredded zucchini
    12 ounces semi-sweet chocolate chips (next time, I’ll cut this amount in half)

Method
    Combine egg, butter and applesauce and beat until creamy, about 1 minute. Add sugar and vanilla and beat until combined.

In a separate bowl, add flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg, and stir to combine. Slowly integrate dry ingredients into wet, until well combined, with beater or by hand. Stir in zucchini and chocolate chips.

Drop by spoonfuls on a lightly sprayed baking sheet, and flatten with the back of a spoon. Bake at 350 degrees, 10-15 minutes.

Makes about 3 dozen soft cookies. These cookies freeze well.

I also have a great lemon zucchini muffin recipe from a cookbook that I need to type up. Once I do, I'll share it.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

turkey zucchini burgers

http://www.realsimple.com/food-recip...0000001617870/

I used more zuke than the recipe called for. It seemed very wet but cooked quickly and easily and they were nice and moist. Very easy!

Picked more zucchini last night, as well as some more wax beans and some broccoli. The cabbage has been decimated by slugs and the tomatoes are in need of re-staking. Also picked a bucket of blueberries off the bush

I'll add to the zucchini recipe collection. Made this this week and it's super-yummy! Better yet, you can freeze individual pieces so you're not tempted to eat the whole cake (well, you'll be tempted, but this will keep you from actually doing it). It even passed the office test, where there was lots of nose-scrunching and whining about zucchini - until they came back for second and third pieces

Zucchini Chocolate Cake (from Light&Tasty)
    Prep: 30 min
    Bake: 30 min +cooling
    Yield: 18 servings

1 3/4 cups sugar
    1/2 cup canola oil
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    2/3 cup unsweetened applesauce
    1 tsp vanilla extract
    2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
    1/2 cup baking cocoa
    1 tsp baking soda
    1/2 tsp salt
    1/2 cup 1% buttermilk (I used skim milk)
    2 cups shredded zucchini
    1 cup miniature semisweet chocolate chips
    1/2 cup chopped pecans, toasted

In a large bowl, beat sugar and oil on medium speed for 1 minute. Add the eggs, applesauce and vanilla; beat 1 minute longer. Combine the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt; add to sugar mixture alternately with buttermilk, beating just until blended. Stir in zucchini.

Transfer to a 13x9x2" baking pan coated with nonstick cooking spray. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes. Sprinkle with chocolate chips and pecans. Bake 10-15 minutes longer or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool on a wire rack.

1 piece: 286 calories, 13g fat (3g sat), 24mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 42g carbs, 2g fiber, 4g protein.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by NoNo View Post
    1 piece: 286 calories, 13g fat (3g sat), 24mg cholesterol, 152mg sodium, 42g carbs, 2g fiber, 4g protein.
    I don't think this is what they meant when they say you should have 4-6 servings of vegetables per day.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    I don't think this is what they meant when they say you should have 4-6 servings of vegetables per day.
    True, but that entire pan is supposed to yield 18 pieces. Those would be BIG pieces if you only cut 18!