Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Smile Australia - Next Week!

To disable ads, please log-in.

We just booked a last minute trip to Australia. My husband had the time off, we had enough miles, flights were available, and we booked it! I'm so excited! But the time for planning is so short!

All that's firm at this point is that we're flying into Sydney a week from tomorrow, and returning to the US 4 weeks later.

Where to go??? What to do??? We love active outdoors stuff. Love biking, snorkeling, beginner surfing, hiking... Love beautiful parks, beaches, mountains, anything scenic & natural. Also interested in & enjoy cultural things-- art, museums, etc. Any recommendations? We know it's spring down under, and want to figure out where the warm sunny spots are at this time of year.

He's never been to Australia before. I visited once for 2 weeks & greatly enjoyed some of the west coast. (Fremantle & a 5 day trip up the coast from Perth)

Don't know if we should try to get over to New Zealand, as well? The concern about New Zealand is that I'm imagining that the weather just wouldn't be as nice down there, as it would be early spring...

Thanks for any suggestions on particular areas/sites that would be prime this time of year!

Perth

Blueskies..Come out west again
    You could drive from Sydney to Perth, stopping in Adelaide. DO NOT STOP IN PORT AUGUSTA.. ick. ooooo..shopping in Melbourne..oooooo!!!!

I'll pm you & we can throw some ideas around.
    Last edited by crazycanuck; 10-12-2008 at 01:19 AM.

Auckland...Honolulu... now San Diego.... where next ?!?
    The weather is pretty nice in Auckland at the mo and plenty of lovely place to visit in the North Island ....
    People do not decide to become extraordinary. They decide to accomplish extraordinary things - Sir Edmund Hillary

east

MNZ..I heard from lovely Blueskies & they're starting out east & venturing into the red centre. Sounds like they'll have tons of fun!

Another visitor

My son, who just returned from Iraq, booked a 3 week trip to Australia, with absolutely no reservations or plans. He leaves this Saturday, the 18th from L.A. He assumes that getting a hotel will be no problem...
    He will be landing in Sydney. Any phone #'s I can give him, in case he runs into issues or needs advice? He is 23 and very self sufficient. And, a former Cat 3 racer.
    Sorry for the thread hijack!

Robyn

number

Crankin,we have friends in Sydney who might be able to help him out.

I'll give you my number as well but let him know i'm on the west coast

Just wondering if the trip is over and how it went.

I just purchased my airplane ticket and will be traveling to Australia (first time!) next year for my friend's 50th birthday. She lives outside Sydney in the Blue Mountains.
    "Chisel praise in stone; write criticism in sand."

How was your trip? Soaked up heaps of sun? We had 37 degrees Celsius in Brisbane yesterday!

Where did you end up going?

Sorry to be so slow reporting back! Getting ready for a month long trip in one week was a whirlwind, of course, and then when we got back from the trip... I forgot all about this thread. Sorry!

The trip was wonderful!

The highlight for both of us was a 5 night mountain bike tour in the red centre with ROC cycles. Unforgettable! A wonderful adventure in the outback, stunning scenery, a great group to share the experience with... I don't have time right now, but I'll try to write up a trip summary later. Anyone who wants to a biking adventure in Australia-- they're a great outfit!

http://www.cycletours.com.au/

We toasted Obama's election in the outback -- around a camp fire on the banks of the Finke River bed, with our cycling companions -- I'll never forget that...

Sandra - if you're going to be in Sydney, do the tour of the opera house & try to get tickets to a performance there. We only had a 4 hour layover there, and the opera house tour was fascinating. It just made me long to go back & actually hear a live performance there. We did get to hear the Australian Chamber Orchestra in Melbourne, and it was a beautiful night.

We loved Melbourne completely! I'd be scheming to move there immediately, if it didn't mean leaving my family (my girlies!) behind.

We also loved meeting so many interesting people-- Australians, of course, and many Europeans as well. It was a fascinating time to be talking to people from so many parts of the world-- with the American election going on, and the economic chaos just unfolding-- very interesting to hear from other perspectives.

More later!