Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

Nomad, is there any way to upload a gpx file instead of uploading directly from the Garmin? On Tuesday I did an mtb ride with friends. My Garmin only got the start and the end, missing the 9 miles in between. I got a gpx file of the ride from one of the other riders but don't see a way to upload it.

Thanks, Nicole
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

support for non-Edge gps uploads ?

To expand a bit on on slug's question, would it be possible to upload tracks from gps devices other than the Garmin Edge?

(I have a Garmin ETrex Vista HCx, from which I can save tracks in .gpx format)

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

The standard Garmin Communicator plug-in doesn't work?

Psst, can you bring your new toy at the end of the month?
    Frends know gud humors when dey is hear it. ~ Da Crockydiles of ZZE.

Nope, not the ETrex.

(Although admittedly my learning curve is still on the steep part of the slope so I could be missing something).

Of course I will

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    Nomad, is there any way to upload a gpx file instead of uploading directly from the Garmin? On Tuesday I did an mtb ride with friends. My Garmin only got the start and the end, missing the 9 miles in between. I got a gpx file of the ride from one of the other riders but don't see a way to upload it.

Thanks, Nicole
    I asked the same question back in early October. This was NomadGirl's response way back then.

Hi Sarah,

There are some tricky issues with uploading Garmin history files. Because we’re donating money to charity based on validated GPS data, our sponsors are not wild about the idea of people being able to get a history file from anywhere and then uploading to Plus 3. The idea has been tossed around, but I’m not sure when we’ll see this, if ever.

That makes a lot of sense (unfortunately).

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post

Thanks, Nicole
    I'm sorry! I know how frustrating it is to return from a hard ride and find out your Garmin was off or in the wrong mode, or not recording, etc. But we can't upload gpx data to Plus 3 Network. Sorry, there is a post further down I wrote a while ago that explains why. Although we really trust everyone, we really really do, anyone could get gpx files from anywhere on the internet and upload to their account. Our sponsors are most comfortable with validated data, and unfortunately getting data from a friend doesn't really count.

Quote Originally Posted by jobob View Post
    To expand a bit on on slug's question, would it be possible to upload tracks from gps devices other than the Garmin Edge?

(I have a Garmin ETrex Vista HCx, from which I can save tracks in .gpx format)
    Unfortunately, we don't support the eTrex Vista yet. We will support more devices as we move forward and the eTrex is the most commonly asked about device, so it might come next?

Hi Ladies,

I had a couple frustrating issues with trying to upload from my Garmin to the +3 network site originally, and I wanted to share my solutions with you so anybody who has similar issues won't struggle as much as I did.

1. Plugin not working/device not found.
    Solution: You have to go specifically to www.plus3network.com. If you just go to http://plus3network.com or something, it'll look the same, but the uploader doesn't work.

2. Device recognized and uploader says everything is copied...but then the site froze up after telling me the rides were successfully uploaded.
    Solution: This was a trickier issue, but it turned out to be a two-fold problem:
    (a) I had a corrupted file on my Garmin. I don't know how this happened or why, but once I removed it that helped.
    (b) I had all my rides from late July onwards, including a century and several 60+ mile rides, on my Garmin. I was trying to upload this vast volume of data (about 60 megs, I believe it was; about 2,500 miles total) and the uploader simply could not handle it. By uploading in small, weekly or biweekly chunks, this problem has not cropped up again.

Another note: You can add data back onto your Garmin if you remove it. What I've done is I download all the rides and make a back-up file, so that they're not lost and gone forever. Then I clear out the memory of my Garmin. I believe you can use the Garmin Training Center to add data to your device. This is how I was able to upload all my miles to +3 network: I took it all off, then added it back bit by bit onto my device and uploaded it in smaller batches. If anybody wants more details on how to remove/add data to your Garmin, let me know and I can provide them.

- Katie F

PS - Find me on +3 network as Katie, with this avatar:
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Good info, thanks kf!

Anyone noticed jobob's new challenge?

Quote Originally Posted by kfergos View Post
    Hi Ladies,

1. Plugin not working/device not found.
    Solution: You have to go specifically to www.plus3network.com. If you just go to http://plus3network.com or something, it'll look the same, but the uploader doesn't work.
    I bet that's my issue on my work computer! I can't wait to try it again next week!
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Hey - I joined Plus 3 also (using my real name, same avatar as here). It hasn't been a stellar cycling year for me, but this is a great (additional) incentive to get back on 2 wheels, and to continue with the hiking too.

The Garmin plug-in detected my Quest 2, and offered to upload activity (I know there's one track on there from my hike in the Sierras in September) but it just sat there for ages, and nothing happened.

Anyway, I just added everything manually - yielding a whopping $5 donation . Oh well, it's a start.

I had to enter a bunch of activities twice - looked like they were added, but they didn't show up in the calendar (bad date entry, I guess, but no error message telling me so). Data entry is a pain, and worth less, so I'd really like to make it work with my Garmin.

I hope I can use (and remember to take) my Quest for bike rides and hikes in future. Or am I going to have to buy one of those cool little Forerunners? (SK - this is your chance for revenge for the digital music project!)
    Keep calm and carry on...

I see a Forerunner AND an Edge in your future!

And I will still have revenge points leftover.

SK, 'splain yourself! (Please!)

I was just reading the gazillion Garmin threads here on TE, trying to figure out if I need to get the Edge and the Forerunner, and which one, etc. etc. and my brain was feeling well and truly boggled. Then I thought, maybe SK will just post a response and answer all my questions... or maybe I'll have to call her ...
    Keep calm and carry on...