Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

My headlight adjusts that way too. Actually, any of my lights are more for the purpose of being seen than seeing. My commute is completely on well-lit streets unless I decide to take a tiny of section on unlit bike path.

I got a Fenix light and "twofish" clamp for my bikes that don't have the dynamo that's on my regular commuter. It is super-duper bright, so yes, I aim it down.

I took it out with me the night it arrived 'cause I had an errand that meant a mile or two out in the country. Oh, my, did it come in handy. Three times cars came at me with *their* brights - and usually I have to pull off as they approach. I just "flicked my brights" - just a wave in their general direction, from half a mile away - and the lights dimmed right away for 2/3... took three flicks for the third. (I do *not* want a blind driver aimed at me so I'd have pulled off anyway, not tried again as it got close...)

I got this light:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodFS_XLT35000.html

Haven't tried it yet.

Pardes Winter Update.

Let's just say I over-reacted a bit this morning. There have been threatening newscasts all weekend that Monday would be a killer cold morning. Freezing temps.

So, I broke out the EMS Belay Jacket, pedaled a few blocks and saw the error of my ways. It was 46 degrees but not nearly cold enough for the Belay since there was no wind and I don't generate much wind going 6 miles an hour.

On the other hand, I didn't swelter, and by unzipping it, it was a pleasant ride to the bus stop. Of course, the bus never arrived and I had to wait an hour for the next bus but that's another story.
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

Yeah...it was 65 degrees for my ride to work this morning...85 for my ride home. Sometimes ya just gotta love South Texas.

I've been using a Planet Bike 1-watt Blaze headlight. I used to have the 1/2-watt, but it didn't throw out quite enough light. The 1-watt light is perfect for me, plus I like how sleek and compact it is.

malkin- do you think that light would work mountain biking? I thought about a light on my bike and one on my helmet. I don't mtb at night normally, but especially with winter coming on I'd like to be prepared in case I get the opportunity, or simply end up out on a trail later than I expected.
    vickie

I chickened out this morning, and was also late, and remembered errands and so I didn't ride. I'll post after I ride with that light. And besides--it was COLD out there!

Update on mittens:
    My mittens are marked OR, which I think is the same as the liner gloves that I found marked ORgear.com (which I assume belong to my husband--or else, who left their stinkin' liner gloves here?!). For future, I recommend washing all of these winter items before placing them in sealed plastic containers for the summer months.
    *gag*
    Fortunately there is still enough sun to take care of that little odor problem. (no wonder the cat was so interested in that closet!)

I like a fleece vest for commuting - my torso gets hot easily and if I overheat there I either end up sweaty (which later gives me a chill) or cranky. But with a vest, once it's unzipped, for me it might as well not be there.

Even though it's only 46 degrees today which isn't that cold, it was 85 only a few days ago so the sudden drop feels colder especially with the wind we've had for the past two days. In a few weeks everyone will acclimate but now I hear a lot of weather whining.

I have a feeling that I'll be wearing my EMS rain pants in the morning to block the cold air since I haven't had much luck finding reasonably priced tights to wear under my slacks.

I did just fine with the jacket and a micro fleece vest under it as well as ear muffs but the morning cold wind made my cheeks hurt so I'm looking into something for that. You speedy beavers out there awe me a little because the wind factor is multiplied many times at higher speeds and it must feel frigid if not properly dressed.

When you are dressed properly it is actually pleasant to ride a bike plus those who are never adequately dressed who are walking or zipping out to their cars always think we are such heroes for riding a bike in cold weather. I gave up telling them that there is no such thing as bad weather, just inadequate clothing.
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

I used my arm warmers for the first time today (got them used from here), they are great. I had a heavy coat that I wore to work, but wanted to go mountain biking after work. I had on a t shirt, and just slipped on the arm warmers and stayed nice and warm- they were perfect when a coat would have been too much.
    vickie

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by pardes View Post
    I did just fine with the jacket and a micro fleece vest under it as well as ear muffs but the morning cold wind made my cheeks hurt so I'm looking into something for that. You speedy beavers out there awe me a little because the wind factor is multiplied many times at higher speeds and it must feel frigid if not properly dressed.
    If it's cold enough for your cheeks to hurt, you might want to consider a thin silky balaclava- they are very versatile. Here's what I wrote about mine:
    balaclava
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    If it's cold enough for your cheeks to hurt, you might want to consider a thin silky balaclava- they are very versatile.
    Lisa,

I've read your posts about that balaclava before, and I am going to get one. I just got some winter gloves, too, so the only problem area I have left is my feet. I think you are one who does not use clipless pedals, so I am curious about what you wear in cold weather. A hiking type of boot? I have never bought that kind of footwear in my life, so suggestions would be most welcome as to brands or even styles. I do have a wide foot, so that might limit my choices, especially if I want to layer socks as well.

Quote Originally Posted by pardes View Post
    Bodies are amazing things. I had a friend at Harvard who worked in a department where animal experimentation was going on. One by one, each of the workers all become deathly allergic to the animals they were working with and all left their jobs and then magically all of them were no longer allergic to the animals.

Doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out. In that case, their bodies were much MUCH smarter than their brains.

But as for wool, I'm not in the military (much as I admire those who are) so I don't have to worry abut wool. It can live happily on someone else's body.

Not really relevant to the discussion, however having worked in labs with mice & rats - basically almost everyone that works with them becomes allergic to them. It's the combination of their urine and the bedding, it's a pretty potent allergen and gets kicked up in the air. It is pretty common that people have to end their mouse working careers because of allergies. I'm allergic to both without having ever touched either with my bare hands. I'm fine with dogs still, but I'm mildly allergic to cats now (I didn't use to be). I'm also allergic to mouse saliva (have only been bitten twice) and cat saliva seems to be what triggers most of my issues with cats.

I'm not sure which animals the people at Harvard are working with - but if it's mice or rats, I'm fairly certain they don't run into those much in their daily life nor inhale their dander. I do have issues if I'm near someone's pet rat.

Back on topic -

I have a lot of wool, it's been kind of irking me for cold weather riding because it sort of absorbs moisture when I sweat. So I stop riding or pause, and all of a sudden I'm absolutely freezing because I'm wearing moist wool. No, I'm not layering too much - usually I've just got a sports bra and maybe a 260 weight icebreaker over that with a zip neck. The sweat's usually related to exertion. My main sweat areas are around the sports bra and underneath my camelbak, so I may need to swithc to riding without that and use waterbottles or something.

Other alternatives to wool that I've found that works well in the cold:
    REI windtracker cycling tights
    Marmot driclime pants (and jacket)
    Patagonia windtracker (I could have just thrown myself off with this description)
    REI mistral pants (sort of a light weight softshell pants that often go on sale at REI)
    REI mistral jacket & I have this half zip pullover from REI that's the same fabric.
    Sporthill shirts.
    Arc'teryx squamish windshell (very light weight & cuts the wind, I know marmot has a similar jacket)
    Arc'teryx switchback shirt & pants

Not so many of those are cycling specific.
    Last edited by Cataboo; 10-23-2008 at 04:50 AM.

Tramdock.com has some helly hansen prowool tights up currently - polyester inner layer, merino wool outerlayer.

Those may work for some of you allergic folks.

And they're hot pink. What's not to like?

back to wet wool - I've gone head over teakettle into a raceway at a trout hatchery, in November (icy cold water, snow on the ground). So long as there was no breeze, the wet wool did keep me warm. Fortunately, the hatchery manager was sympathetic, took mercy on me, brought some sweats and another sweater, and hauled my wet stuff off to the dryer so I could get my work done without catching my death of cold.

So with an outter windproof layer, wet wool will keep you warm, after you ring it out. But I much prefer DRY clothes.

On the other hand, Pardes said she's allergic to wool, so all this is absolutely MOOT! Moot, I say. Which leads us back to Catriona's suggestions.
    Beth