Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    I've never heard of a college without bike racks! Don't the students ride bikes to class? Couldn't an argument be made that bike racks would be a benefit for the students?
    There are three bike racks on the main quad, but the fitness center is out on the edge of campus. Those bike racks were put in during recent renovations. The fitness center was built in the early 70's and hasn't been updated since then, so no bike racks there. I lock my bike to a picnic table and shower and change quickly, then either walk or ride my bike (depending on what I'm wearing--some of my work clothes don't let me throw a leg over my bike) to the quad to lock up for the day.

But because it's a community college in suburban hell, very few students bike to campus. I think if it were a residential college, it would be a different situation.

Sarah

SEC. 211. TRANSPORTATION FRINGE BENEFIT TO BICYCLE COMMUTERS.

(a) In General- Paragraph (1) of section 132(f) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(D) Any qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement.’.

(b) Limitation on Exclusion- Paragraph (2) of section 132(f) is amended by striking `and’ at the end of subparagraph (A), by striking the period at the end of subparagraph (B) and inserting `, and’, and by adding at the end the following new subparagraph:

`(C) the applicable annual limitation in the case of any qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement.’.

(c) Definitions- Paragraph (5) of section 132(f) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(F) DEFINITIONS RELATED TO BICYCLE COMMUTING REIMBURSEMENT-

`(i) QUALIFIED BICYCLE COMMUTING REIMBURSEMENT- The term `qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement’ means, with respect to any calendar year, any employer reimbursement during the 15-month period beginning with the first day of such calendar year for reasonable expenses incurred by the employee during such calendar year for the purchase of a bicycle and bicycle improvements, repair, and storage, if such bicycle is regularly used for travel between the employee’s residence and place of employment.

`(ii) APPLICABLE ANNUAL LIMITATION- The term `applicable annual limitation’ means, with respect to any employee for any calendar year, the product of $20 multiplied by the number of qualified bicycle commuting months during such year.

`(iii) QUALIFIED BICYCLE COMMUTING MONTH- The term `qualified bicycle commuting month’ means, with respect to any employee, any month during which such employee–

`(I) regularly uses the bicycle for a substantial portion of the travel between the employee’s residence and place of employment, and

`(II) does not receive any benefit described in subparagraph (A), (B), or (C) of paragraph (1).’.

(d) Constructive Receipt of Benefit- Paragraph (4) of section 132(f) is amended by inserting `(other than a qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement)’ after `qualified transportation fringe’.

(e) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2008.
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

Quote Originally Posted by madscot13 View Post
    SEC. 211. TRANSPORTATION FRINGE BENEFIT TO BICYCLE COMMUTERS.

(a) In General- Paragraph (1) of section 132(f) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(D) Any qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement.’.

(b) Limitation on Exclusion- Paragraph (2) of section 132(f) is amended by striking `and’ at the end of subparagraph (A), by striking the period at the end of subparagraph (B) and inserting `, and’, and by adding at the end the following new subparagraph:

`(C) the applicable annual limitation in the case of any qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement.’.

(c) Definitions- Paragraph (5) of section 132(f) is amended by adding at the end the following:

`(F) DEFINITIONS RELATED TO BICYCLE COMMUTING REIMBURSEMENT-

`(i) QUALIFIED BICYCLE COMMUTING REIMBURSEMENT- The term `qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement’ means, with respect to any calendar year, any employer reimbursement during the 15-month period beginning with the first day of such calendar year for reasonable expenses incurred by the employee during such calendar year for the purchase of a bicycle and bicycle improvements, repair, and storage, if such bicycle is regularly used for travel between the employee’s residence and place of employment.

`(ii) APPLICABLE ANNUAL LIMITATION- The term `applicable annual limitation’ means, with respect to any employee for any calendar year, the product of $20 multiplied by the number of qualified bicycle commuting months during such year.

`(iii) QUALIFIED BICYCLE COMMUTING MONTH- The term `qualified bicycle commuting month’ means, with respect to any employee, any month during which such employee–

`(I) regularly uses the bicycle for a substantial portion of the travel between the employee’s residence and place of employment, and

`(II) does not receive any benefit described in subparagraph (A), (B), or (C) of paragraph (1).’.

(d) Constructive Receipt of Benefit- Paragraph (4) of section 132(f) is amended by inserting `(other than a qualified bicycle commuting reimbursement)’ after `qualified transportation fringe’.

(e) Effective Date- The amendments made by this section shall apply to taxable years beginning after December 31, 2008.

Well, that clears up everything! Great!

From Roadbikerider newsletter 10/09/08

Congress Passes Bicycle Commuter Act

If you listened to Rush Limbaugh's radio program last week you may have heard him mock the bike commuting legislation contained in the historic Wall Street bailout bill.

The influential right-wing commentator used the inclusion of cycling to voice his disgust about the "pork" that had found its way into the $700-billion package.

Limbaugh spoke in derisive tones about bicycle riding. Little did he know (or probably care) that the cycling-friendly legislation was 7 years in the making. The so-called "bicycle tax" provision was part of an additional $110 billion in line items added to the already massive bailout legislation.

Some of that probably was pork, but Limbaugh chose the wrong example to rail against.

What section 211 of H.R. bill 1424 does is give employers a tax credit for workers who pedal to their jobs. The amount is $20 per month per cycling employee.

This benefit helps cover the cost of employer reimbursement for reasonable expenses incurred by an employee "for the purchase of a bicycle and bicycle improvements, repair and storage, if such bicycle is regularly used for travel between the employee's residence and place of employment."

Score it a long-sought victory for the national advocacy organization, the League of American Bicyclists. LAB in turn credits the persistence of Rep. Earl Blumenauer (D-OR) for spearheading the lengthy political process on behalf of the ride-to-work movement.

(Actually, Blumenauer voted against the bailout bill despite the Bicycle Commuter Act's inclusion. He cited his opposition to other aspects of the wide-ranging legislation.)

According to LAB president Andy Clarke, the cycling provision previously failed passage when attached to bills dealing with matters such as climate change, energy and transportation.

"It's ironic," he says, "that it would wind up in a financial rescue package, but we'll take it. I'm not going to quibble with the method. I'm glad to see it done.

"Bicycle commuters will now be extended similar benefits to people who take transit and drive to work. It may not be a total game changer -- it's still a relatively small break -- but it gets us closer to the kind of treatment that cyclists in the U.K. and other parts of the world have had for years."

Clarke invites cyclists to keep an eye on the LAB website at http://www.bikeleague.org "as we work on the implementation process."

Comment
    I can do five more miles.