Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Ridley Crossbow 41 cm

To disable ads, please log-in.

Been looking for high-end extra small CX bike for some time. Was ready to splurge some $$$ into a custom frame (though still undecided on wheel size), then after discovering this forum, found this CX bike which seems to be the absolute smallest stock frame I've found after countless hours/days/weeks/months of searching.

Any small riders out there have any direct experience comments on this frame?

PS. Oh yeah, I'm 5'1" with 675 mm inseam (barefoot).

http://schwabcycles.com/itemdetails....&features=2914

I race with a couple of folks on Ridleys, and they tend to run on the large side. They have both cautioned on the fit of this bike, with one of them riding a 54 cm with 0 standover!

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    ... They have both cautioned on the fit of this bike, with one of them riding a 54 cm with 0 standover!

SheFly

Although 41 cm listed as available on paper, a few phone calls to Ridley dealers have drawn a blank..."Never had one that size" or "Ridley says in 4-5 weeks they will be available, maybe"

SheFly, not sure I understand your friend's sizing/standover issue. Was the spec'ed 'standover' for the 54 cm incorrectly listed on Ridley website or is there some other issue?

There is so much variability on bike sizing that I usually just go straight to the geometry information to get details such as standover, top tube, etc.

Hi,
    I have a Ridley Crossbow, but a 50cm. I love the bike and really enjoy riding it. It's TALL though, compared to my experience with past road bikes. I haven't raced it for cross yet as I'm still trying to train and get the technique down, but the height of the bike can be tricky and standover space is limited. I would definitely try the bike before you buy it.

I'm not sure of the standover issue either, but for a review of the bike, check out this blog entry.

SheFly
    "Well behaved women rarely make history." including me!
    http://twoadventures.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by SheFly View Post
    I'm not sure of the standover issue either, but for a review of the bike, check out this blog entry.

SheFly
    If anyone manages to find the 41cm frame for this bike, I'd love it if you could post a review (and also let us know where you got it!)

I'm 4'11 and looking for a cross bike that'll fit me as well!

Hi,
    I have a 41 cm Ridley Crossbow. I love it. I wouldn't say it fits perfect, but it's the best I've found so far. I'm just under 5'2'' with legs on the shorter side so there's virtually no stand over. This is my second year racing cross and I haven't had a problem with the stand-over yet.

I put on a 60 mm stem and 36cm salsa short and shallow handle bars. It's hard to find bike that fit us small women, but with a few adjustments the 41 cm works for me.
    -Jennie

I forgot to add that I had to special order the 41cm from Europe.

Not to toot the custom route too loudly, but there is a real reason CX bikes do not come in small sizes. Standover is one issue, but the greater issue is your top tube length or reach to the handlebar. Because CX bikes have bigger tires, and all CX stock bikes come with 700c wheels, you have a larger diameter wheel to contend with when designing the frame. This means, unless you actually lengthen the top tube compared to the same size road frame, you will have toe overlap issues on any short-top tubed CX bike utilizing 700c wheels. Because most manufacturers don't want or legally cannot have that, they have overly long top tube lengths for their smaller frames. There is really no way around it. I hope that makes sense.
    When I design CX bikes for smaller women, I go with 26" wheels. It is the right thing to do to make the bike fit without weird geometry compromises, or having to use a 6cm stem on a 52cm top tube (which creates its own handling issues). You know what I am talking about! The nice thing is you can get very light, road-like 26" wheels these days and CX race-legal 26" tires (in 1.35" width). There is really no compromise going this route, except of course the extra expense to go custom. Anyway, I do a lot of these, and hopefully some of the bigger manufacturers will eventually see the light for those not able to afford the custom route.

REI does have a cross bike with 26" wheels these days - though it is marketed more towards children and is quite heavy. I have a kids Redline - with 24" wheels.... interesting enough the frame is not too much smaller than either or my road bikes. I have raced it. Until you get to the higher category races, no one will challenge the legality of your bike... (actually I couldn't find anything that would make my kiddie bike not legal to race, except putting on tires that are too wide)

Of course I am a road racer and don't take cross that seriously... I doubt you'd go my route if you were actually wanting to win a race
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

cool. oh yes, it is too bad and all too often how it is. Even if it exists, it appears not to be really up to the level of quality that most small women want (and deserve). glad to hear REI at least has something to offer!

cyclocross crossbow 41

Hi,

Im also looking for a cyclocross bike that would fit me ...im 5'4" with 29" in seam...this bike seem to fit well when i read about it...If i get a size 41 do i need to change the front tire to a smaller size? Smaller than the standard 700?

Thanks

Not answering the last question, but also consider the Terry Valkyrie .... looks like a good bike. I'm holding out for a Luna though. tokie (with really short legs)