Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My Brooks is broken!

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just noticed when I put my bike away for the night that the frame on the Brooks saddleon my commuting bike is broken, and I am so bummed. I am going on a 5-day ride soon, and that saddle is completely broken in and comfortable. I'll have to figure out something else in the short run. Not sure if I want to get another Brooks if I'm going to have to replace it every year.

The one you had the cutout put in?
    Did that compromise the structural integrity despite wha tthey added?
    Do you want your other one back?

Never mind, i re-read and you said frame.
    Still...
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Aw, that stinks. Got any pictures? So we can watch out for it, too?

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

Which model was it? Some of the models require a seat sandwich if used with a micro-adjust seatpost.

Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

It's a B68. I'll try to take pictures today.

Zen, I may need that saddle back for the trip, sorry. (How is it working out for you?) My only other Brooks is a double rail saddle (like the one pictured), and it won't fit on this bike.

poop
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Warranty?

I pulled out the little pamphlet that came with my B68, and it says, "Your Brooks saddle is guaranteed for two years from the date of purchase against defects in manufacture or materials." It goes on to say that you should return the saddle to the place of purchase, along with your proof of purchase.

You could also try www.brooksengland.com or info@brooksengland.com for more info.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by wackyjacky1 View Post
    I pulled out the little pamphlet that came with my B68, and it says, "Your Brooks saddle is guaranteed for two years from the date of purchase against defects in manufacture or materials." It goes on to say that you should return the saddle to the place of purchase, along with your proof of purchase.

You could also try www.brooksengland.com or info@brooksengland.com for more info.

Good luck!
    I'll have to check on that tomorrow. My guess is the warranty is void because I had the Selle Anatomica people put a cutout in it, even though the break is nowhere near the cutout. Thanks for the info.

I was finally able to take a picture of the saddle. It's hard to see, but the crack is on the back part of the frame, where the rail meets it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cracked saddle 005.jpg 
Views:	439 
Size:	79.4 KB 
ID:	7395

I called Wallingford, where I bought the saddle, and Bill said to send it to him and the Brooks rep would decide if it was covered under the warranty. Fingers are crossed!

That sucks! That's a regular B-17, isn't it? Man, I'm going to worry about every creak now

I do hope Bill will cover it - from what I've seen in my dealings with him, he'll get you what he can.

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    That sucks! That's a regular B-17, isn't it? Man, I'm going to worry about every creak now
    It's a B-68, modified with a cutout by the Selle Anatomica people. I knew something was up when it started creaking loudly, then I saw that the corner of the saddle was bent down pretty far.

That looks like it can be welded, I think. I don't know if they could do it without removing the leather, though, and that would be bad. But what do I know?

Karen
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    insidious ungovernable cardboard

We had a similar break on a vintage Brooks my husband had on his old Schwinn. (I think it's a B68, but I'm not sure -- that style, anyway.) Unfortunately it broke very dramatically at 2 o'clock in the morning when we were miles from home. He rode home standing up because he is nuts (and possibly he was a little tipsy).

That one did not have a cutout but it was probably 30 years old. I am really sorry this happened!

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Just my personal take on it, but i would think that the cutout *would* compromise the structural integrity of the saddle, putting more pressure on the 2 outer corners of the steel frame which would be the only things keeping the saddle from sort of folding in half along the cutout. I would think the solid stretch of heavy leather would normally distribute your weight and pressure more evenly over the whole frame.
    Otherwise it's hard to imagine a Brooks frame breaking after only one year.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Just my personal take on it, but i would think that the cutout *would* compromise the structural integrity of the saddle, putting more pressure on the 2 outer corners of the steel frame which would be the only things keeping the saddle from sort of folding in half along the cutout. I would think the solid stretch of heavy leather would normally distribute your weight and pressure more evenly over the whole frame.
    Otherwise it's hard to imagine a Brooks frame breaking after only one year.
    You may be right, Lisa. There's a thick layer of laminate around the cutout (I got the "Clydesdale" version, just to be sure it would hold up) so it isn't all that flexible, but that may be the problem.

I think I'll call the Selle Anatomica folks and see if others who had a cutout in their Brooks have had this problem.

If so, I think I'll wait till Brooks comes out with their cutout saddle because the solid saddle isn't nearly as comfortable for me.