Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Alc 2009

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck on Wheels View Post
    I'd better get to town and look for a big rolling duffle.
    Yes, get a rolling duffle, flip flops or a set of Keen-like shoes. There'll be a lot of walking on ALC. From the baggage trucks to the tent area, back again in the morning. You might only have a day when you are close to the trucks.

The amazing BikeGoddess brought a backpack and schlepped her luggage each day. I prefer wheels.

All along as you pack think "less is more" Pack, discard, pack, find out if UK has that too, pack ....

My routine if I have one is 7 baggies each with a days outfit. Arm warmers you can get away with wearing a couple days, vests too. I've usually brought 3 pair skins, 3 vests, 6 jerseys (get one in camp store), 7 shorts.

This is just me: I don't bring a jacket. Our mutual cousin taught me the appreciation of a good wind resistant vest. Undershirt or base layer, jersey, arm skins and a vest. In all but the worst weather that's fine and easily unzips, doffs down when you and or weather warms up.

I designate one baggie "cold". Count on one day being colder than average and that's got a long sleeve jersey and or undershirt like Craft, glove liners, wool socks and heavier tights.

If that turned out to be Red Dress day than I'd have a conundrum. Do I pick fashion or function. Good thing Red Dress Day is often warm.

One bag with misc. ride necessities like cat crap (do you need any? I think I can find mine), those thingies that hold your glasses, extra pair of gloves, a minimal bike cleaning kit (you could skip that).

Bring 1 or 2 large plastic bags. Each day after showering I toss the sweaty toxic waster bike gear into the bag. It compacts quite a bit.

You won't need street clothes, maybe a pair of sweats. Last time initially I brought very old thread bare not even good enough for Goodwill sweat shirt and pants to change into after showering. After a day or two's wear bought new in the camp store and tossed out the old ones.

In my case sleeping bag goes outside in its own separate bag that straps onto my bag which I can set aside for you if you want to look at it. Thermarest pad fit into the bag.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

Ah, now we're getting somewhere. Took out one extra pair of shorts. May find another item or two to take out. Still have that little expander space in the lid, which can be for sleeping bag? street clothes? medical stuff? maybe for dirty clothes as the med stuff gets used up? This is all coming together now using your suggestions after DH found a marginally larger suitcase and a more stuffable sleeping bag. I think I'll manage. All is pretty much in there now and I can shut the thing, but I need to make it a neat pack so I can find stuff when I need it without pulling everything out and repacking. I might get some suitcase straps just in case. A bag of clothes can go as extra padding inside the bike case on the flight over. Some street clothes can stay in Sonoma while on the ride, and if I'm having trouble squeezing stuff into the suitcase then the sleep pad and/or sleeping bag can be strapped onto the outside. Now ... off to town for 17th of May parades. For once we have glorious weather for 'em!
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

You really do not need street clothes in camp. Maybe sweats or something warm. Consider asking our mutual Mom to bring an extra outfit you could change into after the ride on Day 7.

I've flown back in bike gear but aren't you two taking the train?

When you say suitcase do you mean suitcase suitcase or rolling duffle? Remember you will be camping so this is rolling across dirt, grass, maybe even mud.

My vote is duffle. I'd loan you mine are flying back to Seattle with stuff and Knott

Now, finding stuff. Everyone has a system for that. I favor "bag o' the day" approach. Pack a baggie labeled Day 1, day 2, day 3 .... with socks, shorts, jersey. I have one bag with stuff that could be used a couple times such as vest, arm skins, leg warmers. I like to put the clothes out the night before. Some like putting next days gear in the sleeping bag so it's warm.

BG I noticed organized her gear by category: bag o' jerseys, bag o' shorts, bag o' socks ...

Whatever works for you.

Think "less is more"

Also if you get a duffle find a way to make it a little distinctive. Spray paint, glitter, duck tape .... Mine's black, they're all black. There's nothing like arriving at baggage tired, sweaty, hungry to a trailer sized pile of near identical duffles.
    Last edited by Trek420; 05-17-2009 at 08:00 AM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Wheeled suitcase. Duffels are not such a big thing here. May find one, but likely not. Could buy one in the US, but will already have biiiig wheeled suitcase + bike case with me, so how would I get all that home again? As for street clothes for 3 days in LA + train home, I can put them into the bike case, which goes on a separate gear truck and doesn't get unloaded until after closing ceremonies. That way Mom doesn't have to carry them. UK can do the same with spare clothes for 1 less day in LA + flight home. We can just put them in bags in there so they stay clean. For camp I'll have sweat pants, undies, my 3 ALC t-shirts (rider shirt, volunteer shirt from 07, gift shirt from my grad students/sponsors) and a sweatshirt or my lightweight Ibex jacket, tennies, pair o' sox, big t-shirt for nightshirt (can buy some ALC souvenir jammie pants if it's too cold for just a sleep t). I figure I can wear the same t-shirt several days since it'll only be for the brief time between dinner/shower and bed. So I'm whittling down my pack list and it looks like it'll fit. And yes, I'll mark the bag with something big and bright. Here's a thought: Maybe we could each tie one of the flamingoes on our respective suitcases, then move them over to the tent for the night, then back onto the suitcase handles for the ride to next gear pickup site?
    Last edited by Duck on Wheels; 05-17-2009 at 12:38 PM.
    Half-marathon over. Sabbatical year over. It's back to "sacking shirt and oat cakes" as they say here.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck on Wheels View Post
    Here's a thought: Maybe we could each tie one of the flamingoes on our respective suitcases, then move them over to the tent for the night, then back onto the suitcase handles for the ride to next gear pickup site?
    Sounds good!

Do you have the flamingoes? I have another one here on my table, I'll set it aside.

Your amazing baggage crew moves mountains each day; 70 lbs of luggage x (2000+ riders + 5-600 crew) x 14 = Small items on the outside of the bag .... not so much likely to be there.

If you have a suitcase you will be distinctive by that alone in a sea of black duffels. You'll be fine.

I kept a small bag near the top of my bag with toiletries; camp towel, shampoo, toothbrush and paste etc. I always eat first, get in camp, park the bike and eat right away.

My apologies to anyone lurking who's sat next to me on ALC. I'd rather refuel within that half hour window than be clean and bonk the next day.

Let's face it, we're all pretty sweaty.

After food I get the luggage and tent ... My bag (usually a cloth reusable shopping bag) has everything I need for a shower and a sweat shirt or something and .... tent decor.

If the tent is already up decor goes on a tent pole.

By the time I shower, maybe call someone, grab another snack, hang out a bit .... it may be dark by the time I come "home". That way if one of you is still out you can leave a light on.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Duck and UK are registered and ready for the AIDS ride. We had dinner at a great little Salvadoran place next to the Cow Palace. That will be my pre ride meal when/if I ever do this again. There were lots of other riders there.

Follow their ride to LA here

http://aidslifecycle.typepad.com/
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

At 9:30 I got a txt from Duck she's leaving the first rest stop, UK about 20 minutes ahead of her.

Looks like commuting up those Welsh hills worked for UK
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Day 1 done!!

I got a txt from Duck, she's in camp. That's 80 miles or 128 km. UK has already arrived and I hear she got the tent is up.

Duck is heading off to dinner, shower and a well deserved rest.

This is her longest ride ever. Tomorrow is her 1st century ever.

If tone can be conveyed by txt she sounds fine.

She said her knee felt a little stiff from the 3rd rest stop. She stopped in sports med and they said it's the classic IT band issue. They showed her some stretches and use of a roller.

She'll stretch a lot before tomorrow's ride.
    Last edited by Trek420; 05-31-2009 at 07:38 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

I got a text from Duck that she stretched and stretched but the knee was stiff. Nevertheless she set off on Day 2. At the first rest stop her knee just went stiff and did not want to go on.

She made the right wise decision and SAG'ed in.

I described the problem to Knott and she said while the IT band may be an issue that Duck has a knee derangement.

No, she's not deranged ;-) It's just some way the knee is unhappy.

KnottedYet suggested a series of exercises that may make Duck's knee less deranged. I text messaged them to Duck, the only way to reach her.

Here's hoping these allow her to get back on the bike and be more comfortable.

Hope so because day 3 is the infamous "Quadbuster Hill"

I assume UK is fine, at a little before 4 now she would still be on the road. Today's route has always been my favorite including stops for fried artichoke hearts and .... the cookie lady.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Oh, awesome! Thanks, Trek. I was just wondering about them this morning. Go Duck and UKE!
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Thumbs up Quadbuster, DONE!

Today they did this I apologize for the shot of riders climbing 4 abreast. It made good film but its not tolerated on the ride, one of the things that'll getcha booted off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WcK4Ov-h3qY&NR=1

I heard from Duck both right after Quadbuster and at lunch. She made it 48 miles in todays ride including Quadbuster. The last 3 miles before lunch the knee was yelling at her "please stop!" So she did, in the teeny tiny itsy bitsy town of Bradley where lunch is.

Smart gal! We sent her a message to keep up the stretching. Seems to help.

I've heard from UK's DBF. He talked to her at lunch, she's feeling fine and Quadbuster went well. He says "her bum hurts" But she's riding well despite being ill before the ride. Guess all that commuting in the Welsh hills works.
    Last edited by Trek420; 06-02-2009 at 07:13 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Today our TE'ers climb Evil Twins, a series of 2 climbs. Those familiar with the central coast think of climbing to Hearst Castle from the East side. Few talk about the 20 miles or so of warm up hill, false flat ... bleh

The view is fantastic, UK told of climbing this on ALC 6 while watching red-tail hawks circling below. Duck who left California for Norway 40 years ago is seeing parts of her home state she may never have known.

I've heard from ACG, she's reached the summit which is where riders celebrate "Half Way to L.A.". She is having a great ride.

I've heard from Duck and UK, Duck made it to the top of the Twins and I don't know how much further. UK at that point was about 2 hours ahead of her. Both had knee problems today, Duck did the wise thing and packed it in, she met UK on the bus later on.

In camp the amazing medical crew have patched them up, Duck says both our riders feel better now. I'm texting her "stretch, stretch, stretch ... "

Tomorrow is Red Dress Day, a shorter ride but hilly. This is a day almost all put on a frilly red dress, an amazing sight. And the women look pretty good too.
    Last edited by Trek420; 06-03-2009 at 07:45 PM.
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Thanks for the updates (and the youtube link). It's fun following along!
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Duck says there are about 2700 riders and today they all rode in red. She says they look fabulous. Her morning yoga class went well with a taped knee. She's continuing to do the other stretches too. On the bike she felt fine and then suddenly a sharp pain when she got to rest stop one.

The medical staff thought that raising the saddle would help. I'm not sure if by that they mean raising the seat or the angle? Duck had her bike expertly fit by Chris Robinson owner of Robinson Wheelworks before the ride (thanks Chris). I rode behind her on the Cinderella and the fit looks great.

Whatever they did it worked and she was back in the saddle.Duck caught up with UK at rest stop 2 who was considering taking a ride in. UK decided at Duck's speed she could ride on.

Duck, are you going to take this? Sounds to me like your daughter's calling you slow ;-)

They made it to lunch at Solvang, 43 miles, 1,300 feet of climbing (Duck that sounds a little low for Day 5, less they changed the route) and ... ice cream! (hey, they never served ice cream on Day 5 when I rode!)

They took the SAG wagon from there but I must say the ride extended the distance of Day 5 this year so any other year they'd have ridden in to camp.

Did I mention that my sister has no lower intestine? She's doing ALC and has very severe colitis. That's not stopping her, the knee is.

If I could get her to stretch or maybe yoga she'll be unstoppable.

Did I mention I am very proud of my sister (and my niece As UK said to me when I had a tough time on ALC 6 "you've ridden every mile before and ... you were younger then "
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton

Day 6, An ALC first!

First off everyone's ok but this is a first. First time ever the ride stopped for the day. I heard from Duck, a car wreck occured (as far as I know no riders involved). Police closed the road and with 2000 + riders and crew you can't just say "oh, we'll all go around this way"

So the ride stopped, everyone headed back to camp, some rode, other bussed and then the whole circus gets bussed to the next camp, Ventura.

This is my favorite route, day on the ride and I'm sorry they missed it. A well earned rest day but I know everyone would rather ride
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Folder ~ Brompton