Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 67891011 LastLast

Thread: anyone on WW??

To disable ads, please log-in.

Mmmmmmm, butter cookies......
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    See our newest cycling jerseys
    1-877-310-4592

WW and the hunger scale

Ok, so I had some issues with the hunger scale today... I just think I wasn't paying attention.

So here's what happened... After lunch when I clearly wasn't hungry, I waltzed into the breakroom only to find leftover meeting food. Chicken salad, potato salad, cous cous salad, etc from the local deli. YUM! So naturally, I fixed myself a plate... Ate it... And then the guilt set in. Please keep in mind that I was still well within my point range, so technically I could eat it. I just didn't pay attention to my hunger signals...

How do you handle these types of situations?
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

My sister's WW leader tells them that when there are things out for the having at work, to just keep telling themselves - not my food. My sisters says this usually works for her. Not sure if that would work for me, I make a point to stay away when I hear that there are donuts or something at a certain place within the office. But my sister says she just keeps repeating - not my donuts, not my donuts, and that works.

That doesn't answer the whole eating when not really hungry thing. If I had an answer to that, I wouldn't be trying to lose weight. Sorry!

But now I'm hungry for potato salad.
    You too can help me fight cancer, and get a lovely cookbook for your very own! My team's cookbook is for sale Click here to order. Proceeds go to our team's fundraising for the Philly Livestrong Challenge!

Well.
    This raises the old question "what do you call cheese that is not yours?"
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by Zen View Post
    Well.
    This raises the old question "what do you call cheese that is not yours?"
    NACHO CHEESE!!!!
    Andrea

1988 Bridgestone mixte
    2002 Trek 2200
    2011 Surly Long Haul Trucker

Quote Originally Posted by Possegal View Post

But now I'm hungry for potato salad.
    NACHO TATER SALAD!
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

Quote Originally Posted by ASammy1 View Post
    Ok, so I had some issues with the hunger scale today... I just think I wasn't paying attention.

So here's what happened... After lunch when I clearly wasn't hungry, I waltzed into the breakroom only to find leftover meeting food. Chicken salad, potato salad, cous cous salad, etc from the local deli. YUM! So naturally, I fixed myself a plate... Ate it... And then the guilt set in. Please keep in mind that I was still well within my point range, so technically I could eat it. I just didn't pay attention to my hunger signals...

How do you handle these types of situations?
    Sammy- that is the whole point of weight watchers. You were well within your point range, so once in a while you can indulge! It's an eating plan for life, not a diet. If you enjoyed the food, then just go on. Stop the guilt. If you start denying yourself a little pleasure every once in a while, that's when it becomes a diet and not a way of life. Now if you had scarfed down 10 pounds of potato salad and said "what the heck, I blew it, I may as well eat the rest of the day", then you would be in trouble. Sometimes ya just gotta enjoy. Note I said "sometimes".

My leader said something interesting at our last meeting. She recommended that if you are ever at a gathering with lots of good food, take a spoonful (about tablespoon) of each thing you want and count 1 point for each. Some are 0, some are 1 and some are probably 2 but it should average. That way you are enjoying, but not denying, and learning to control. Anyone ever heard this before?
    Last edited by uforgot; 02-18-2009 at 02:15 AM.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington

uforgot - I've found that to be a great way to get to taste everything, but still count my points and stay on plan. I did that very successfully at Thanksgiving and Christmas. The things I just HAD to taste, I gave myself a small dollop and called it a point.

Andrea - I agree with uforgot about the way of life comment, but I also understand what your point is - that it is difficult to be successful with a healthy way of life long term if we don't learn to both recognize our triggers AND listen to our bodies. ie. Asking myself - "why am I eating this? Am I really truly hungry?" If so, then I should eat something (even if it's not the potato salad, or whatever prompted the question in the first place). But when I'm not really hungry, I have to ask myself "well, Susie, what is it that's making you want to put food in your mouth right now??" Am I bored? Am I socially uncomfortable (This is often a big one for me. Nervous eating to have something to do with my hands, when at a party or in a group of people I don't know so well).

One of the gals here in my office also talks about "mindful eating". Being totally present when you're eating your food. Not reading a book, or cruising the internet. But rather, being engaged in your meals so that your's enjoying the food you DO eat, and are more able to recognize when you're satisfied.

I don't know if any of this helps, but believe me, you are NOT alone. I struggle with all this on a daily basis. Last night I was at a restaurant with a friend. I dutifully made a healthy meal choice, and got a to-go box delivered with my meal so that I could immediately put half of it in the box. That part was great. But the bowl of peanuts on the table in front of me were calling to me. My saving grace was that they were in the shell, so it slowed me down - I had to work at consuming those calories...

Yours in temptation,

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

I'm a WW returnee! Glad to be back, but the first week was a real eye opener. I found that
    a) I'm not willing to give up wine
    b) 1/2 a box of Girlscout cookies is bad. Very bad
    c) Leftover pizza isn't the most point-effective recovery meal

With all that in mind, I'm heading out for week two!
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

I have been reading this thread for a while, everyday I can't wait to see the new postings. It is great to have this extra support.

Ok, so I went yesterday to a meeting and joined WW! I found a leader who is willing to work with me, the cycling, the hunger, etc. I actually went to several meetings because I wanted the right leader. It was worth the effort.

This morning when I tried on my clothes for work I was almost ready to cry. My clothes all fit, but I feel like I look dumpy, it is amazing what 10lbs here or there can do.

I'm looking forward to looking less dumpy in a few weeks.

HI ladies,

I'm resurrecting this thread.

I'm (finally) on the cusp of reaching my WW goal. My last official weigh in was last Wednesday @ 132#. Next weigh this Weds. My goal is 130#. The last few weeks have been really tough - after losing steadily from November through March, I've bounced around a little in April. Still on a downward trend throughout the month, but it's been a little bumpy.

The closer I've gotten to goal, the hungrier I've been! Part of that is the result of my triathlon training. I've earned 52 activity points week-to-date with one more day to go. And these past few weeks, I've eaten ALL my APs and ALL my 35 "extras". I've just been ravenous. And I believe that if I'm hungry, I should eat. I DO make very wise food choices 99% of the time, so I'm getting good food volume and not wasting points on unsubstantial foods.

My base point count is only 18 points, which doesn't even sustain me on a rest day. I haven't had a single day where I've eaten that few points! I used to have days back when my points were higher (I started at 21) and my activity was lower that I could easily stay within my budget, but that never happens anymore.

I'm wondering how many of you have had this experience - ie. how much more difficult it's gotten to lose as you've gotten closer to your goal. And, how much hungrier you've been despite eating all your points.

One final thing I should mention - *I* set my goal at 130. 130 is right smack dab in the middle of the height weight charts (which say that for my height I should be 117-143). Now that I'm here, I think I want to revise my goal down another 5#. I've gotten very lean from the waist up, but from the waist down there's definitely still work to be done!

Susan
    Susan Otcenas
    TeamEstrogen.com
    1-877-310-4592

Susan, I'm at a 20 point allowance right now, so I feel ya. I'm sure you know all the tricks but lately here are some of my favorite low-point foods:

Kashi GOLean (2/3 to 1c) w 1/2c light soymilk and 1.2 to 1c strawberries

snacks are 1/2oz nuts or 1/2 cliff bar, and 1 serving of fruit

Lunch and dinner are salad and something or other.

I ALWAYS have 1/2 to 1 glass of wine after dinner. It keeps me sane.

That being said, weekends kill me. I drink too much beer, and while I don't overeat too bad, the soduim in things like pizza (I get a personal vegy, no cheese) shoots my weight up.

I try to save all my APs for the weekend, but often dip in to 1-2 per day. This is bad with my excersize still being limited and the bike STILL in the shop, so there's no long ride right now and I can only stand so much time in the gym.

Anyway, hope something here is of value to ya!
    Be yourself, to the extreme!

new to WW

Hello,

I am new to WW! I joined online last night and have enjoyed it already. I have a few questions....

1) Do i put in my overall weight goal at the beginning, or do I move down as I loose weight? (I have no clue what my natural body weight should be, I just have a feeling I'm not where I am supposed to be. In highschool, I was a lightweight rower (bieng under 130#) and the came to and had to be 150 to be competitive and after two surgeries, I ended up where I am now at 162. I have a feeling it's in the 140s, I just dont know where though)

2) How do I set my desired weight? I've been told so often not to focus on numbers, I just kow that I am not happy where I am now.

3) Anything online that you guys find super helpful with the readings. I am trying to get through them all, but there's a lot reading and it's kind of overwhelimg.
    "There is nothing, absolutely nothing, quite so worthwhile as simply messing about on bicycles. -Tom Kunich

I'm new to these boards but I've been doing WW for a long time. I'm only 6 pounds away from my goal, but I think I'll probably want to lose another 5 or 10 after that. I'm sort of doing my own diet plan right now but I still attend meetings.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan Otcenas View Post

The closer I've gotten to goal, the hungrier I've been! Part of that is the result of my triathlon training. I've earned 52 activity points week-to-date with one more day to go. And these past few weeks, I've eaten ALL my APs and ALL my 35 "extras". I've just been ravenous. And I believe that if I'm hungry, I should eat. I DO make very wise food choices 99% of the time, so I'm getting good food volume and not wasting points on unsubstantial foods.

My base point count is only 18 points, which doesn't even sustain me on a rest day. I haven't had a single day where I've eaten that few points! I used to have days back when my points were higher (I started at 21) and my activity was lower that I could easily stay within my budget, but that never happens anymore.

Susan
    You don't have to count points. They also have the simply filling mode. It's like the core plan was, only they decided not to make it a separate plan. You just change it on Plan Manager. You can eat any of the filling foods until you are satisfied. You still have 35 weekly points, but those are the only ones you count. Anything not a filling food gets subtracted from the 35. So far it seems like the ticket for me. Somedays I'm starving, and others I'm not. It also makes me eat healthier.

With the momentum plan this is mentioned in the week 6 booklet. They have it at week 6 because by then you are used to portion control.
    Claudia

2009 Trek 7.6fx
    2013 Jamis Satellite
    2014 Terry Burlington