Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 18 1234511 ... LastLast

Fall and Winter Commuter Challenge!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Okay, I went through the last thread and picked everyone who said "yes" to joining in. I think the consensus was just tell us how you did each week, come by for encouragement, etc... Fall started Monday so the challenge did too, goes through March and the beginning of spring.

It is going to be a struggle for me to do my hybrid commute 2x weekly but I got to try. I am trying to lose weight and this is an easy way to force myself to do exercise even if I don't want to. I would have the goals but I don't have enough time to figure out why the print screen function is not working with me tonight. Jeez I only do it for work daily. Do we want those showing, I have it saved on my computer?

Outspokin'
    tulip
    pardes
    Bicicilista
    BikerHen
    danadear
    ms pepperpot
    Aggie_Ama
    Kacie Tri-ing
    indigoiis
    kfergos
    twin
    Eden
    TsPoet
    Grog
    TattieFritter
    tjf9
    andtcktoo
    SouthernBelle
    GLC1968
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 09-25-2008 at 10:04 AM.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

My goal: Commute on my bike 90% of the time (9 times per 10 days). Excepted are the days when the temperature is below 1 degree Celcius (not often, where I live) at 7 a.m.

Count me in, too! I'll be riding 2-3 times a week. I'm riding in today and I rode in on Monday. Depending on what is going on tomorrow, I may ride in then, too.
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

Added andtckrtoo to the list.

My goal is 1-2x a week, hybrid commute for a weekly total of approximately 50 miles. The commute is husband drives me to work in our car on his way to work and I bike 27 miles home. He does the same two days, our gas guzzling Dodge Truck stays parked all but one day a week (the day he mountain bikes) and we are using 1/2 the gas we used to. Actually even less than 1/2. We used to fill up every 5 days, now we put half a tank in on payday (every Friday). We drive about 100-150 miles a week on the truck instead of close to 400. We do use the truck to go camping or mountain biking together, so it gets driven more in the weekends but still only 2-3 days a week instead of 5-7.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I'm in. Shooting to maintain 3 days a week.

My week:

Mon: 12 miles (bus and back)
    Tue: 63 miles (work and back
    Wed: 12 miles (bus)
    Thur: 0 (need to run errands so drove to bus.)
    Fri: 0 (it's going to storm tomorrow, so driving to bus.)
    ---------------

87 miles for 9/22-9/26

Thanks for helping me log this... I am giving myself incentives. Since I haven't filled the tank in the truck in over a month, I bought myself a Pearl Izumi whisper jacket in high-vis yellow and a new pair of winter gloves.

Gots to have the SWAG.

Indy
    I can do five more miles.

M + W 12 miles round trip
    F - I'll probably bike to my volunteer position, 20 miles round trip.

I can't really make a claim to have goals.... its just how I get to work.. I don't have a parking pass so I can't drive -they actually patrol the neighborhood for cheaters!!!! My only other option is the bus and with a 20 min commute by bike vs 40 min by bus its kind of a no brainer.

Last evening was my first commute of the year in the cold rain though, sigh.... its not supposed to be winter yet. It is supposed to warm up for the weekend.
    Last edited by Eden; 09-25-2008 at 10:14 AM.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Count me in, too!

I'm not sure if my goals are realistic or not, since I haven't lived through a winter in this state - nevermind with a commute that is this long.

I commute 19 miles each way. I do this at least once a week right now. I'm actually up to once a week with a full commute (both ways) and once a week with a half commute (drive to work, bike home, bike in the next day, drive home).

My goal is to get to two full commutes and one half commute per week by the end of October and to maintain it all winter. I don't know if that's even possible as I have no idea what winter will bring in terms of weather. For now, my goal is to get to get there before October is out. That'll be 114 miles a week. I'd be happy with that.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

tomorrow's my last commute before being on holiday for 2 weeks. I expect it to be a lot colder/wetter/darker when I get back. I'm currently riding a heavy borrowed bike which only has one gear which I can use. I'll get my lovely new bike about 3-4 weeks after I get back. My first challenge is to carry on commuting most days for those first 3-4 weeks (assuming I can keep the borrowed bike for that time). Once I get my new bike I'm hoping I'll be so excited it will be much easier to keep going and I'll set a new challenge. (I have 6 miles each way)

I am trying for 4 out of 5 days. I have a 15 mile round trip, but school starts very early! I am already in the dark
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

My commute is only a total of 7 miles a day however I run most of my errands on a bike. I will try for 5 out 5 days. Fun! I have not missed a school day yet. I know my commute is really short.

Ooh, me too.

Goals:

Continue commute to work once a week (barring ice and strong winds)
    Commute to running club as much as possible
    Continue bike errands (Library, farm shop, butcher etc).

I did my first commute to the running club last night, its just over 7 hilly miles each way. I cycled in nice and steady and had quite a break at the other end as sorting out some shoes for Cross Country races over the winter (New Shoes!).

Then ended up doing the hardest run I've done in a long time with a faster group which we somehow managed to tag along with. Over 6 miles and they went looking for hills to run up at warp speed . The overall pace was also fast and as I was one of the slowest I didn't get my usual rest waiting on other people. I loved it though, nice to work hard. My legs were shot by the end. I had to keep reminding myself I still had to cycle home, people were offering me lifts home!

Then it was a sllooooowwwwww ride home, though I have to say my legs felt a lot better after the ride home than they did at the end of the run. They feel ok this morning, if I had just got straight in my car as normal they would be quite stiff I think.

The ride home was also the first commute this year I did entirely in the dark. I'm not sure if I'll do this every week. I won't be next week as I will be saving my legs for a trail race on Saturday but every little will help.
    Tattiefritter

My Blog

Week 1

I did my two days this week for a total of 43 miles. DH's route home by car is past me and both days I was feeling a little weak, normally I tell him to go home but I took the short ride this week. Tuesday I was really hungry but yesterday I was just out of gas. There was a headwind and I was really fatigued all day for some unknown reason. Felt a little defeated to need the ride both days but the truck was only on the road 1 day this week.

ETA- I should feel good. I did 23/27 miles Monday, just skipped the county road home to get dinner quicker! Yesterday I still did 20/27 miles. It was hot and a headwind, I could have just waited at work and made DH come get me which is more miles on the car because it is out of his way but following me home is on his way. What is this defeatist attitude? Rubbish.
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 09-26-2008 at 06:17 AM.
    Amanda

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Week 1: I'm out of town down on the Chesapeake Bay, so no commute. I was planning on just going for a ride or two this week, but here in eastern Virginia we've had quite a stormy spell. More rain and serious wind in the past few days than in a long, long time.

But tomorrow is the River Ride and I'll do the metric. And then I lead a ride on Sunday. Not commuting miles, but miles nontheless. I'll be back home on Monday and the post office commute will resume.

week 1
    Monday and Tuesday almost don't count as they were my 99th and 100th commutes of the year. I would have done anything to finish THAT.

But today was my true first day of the challenge and i did ride in. I ride in the morning with DH most days and I'm not sure he appreciates the fact that pokey mimi is even pokier in the dark!
    thanks for doing this!

Tulip, your hair is amazing!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi