Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I commuted all 5 days last week. On Thursday, I actually commuted to a restaurant, had dinner with the family, then got a ride home, but it was close to my normal commute. Fortunately the weather is cooperating so it's not a challenge yet. My real problem is getting out of the office before dark. I had one dark commute last week - which reminds me, I need new batteries for my lights!

I'd like to join the challenge, too. I don't work currently, so my goal consists of running errands by bike.

I've committed to not drive my car this week, unless there's no way to avoid it, and only use my bike. With the gas shortage in Georgia, I figured that was a small way I could help with conservation.

I rode 22 total miles today, with a trip to Lowe's, the LBS, Kroger, and Starbucks.

Week 2- keep it going!

If you updated week 1, I put it below. Way to go gals!

Outspokin'- every day or telecommute
    tulip
    pardes
    Bicicilista- every day
    BikerHen- 5 days
    danadear- 1 day
    ms pepperpot
    Aggie_Ama- 2 days, 43 miles
    Kacie Tri-ing- 4/5 days
    indigoiis- 87 miles total
    kfergos
    twin
    Eden
    TsPoet
    Grog- 4/5 days
    TattieFritter
    tjf9- 5 days
    andtcktoo
    SouthernBelle- 3 days
    GLC1968
    tennisgirl43
    tpage
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 09-30-2008 at 05:46 AM.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I went for a run last night and my legs feel, it was very hard not to just car pool with DH but that wastes more gas and I get stuck at work longer. Tonight I am riding home, don't know if the legs will support the full 27 miles or if I will hop in when DH passes this evening. I am hoping to go the distance since I will be less inclined in the winter. I even brought along my Polar monitor to see how many calories pedaling home burns. Besides, tomorrow is a pure rest day and Thursday I will likely commute home again.
    Amanda

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Week 2:

Monday - didn't ride, too much rain.
    Tuesday - 30 in, 30 home.
    Wednesday - can't ride - meetings
    Thursday - can't ride - daughter has late class
    Friday - 7 to bus, 30 home, weather permitting
    Weekend - Plan on 40 miler.
    I can do five more miles.

Well I did it, all 27 headwind filled miles! My polar shows I burnt 1252 calories!

My husband did tell me something unsettling this afternoon, still digesting how to deal with it. He said he was told a motorist was raped after her vehicle broke down at the very intersection I get stopped by a light daily. He said it was supposedly evening but not super late, exactly how it will be come daylight savings time. I may just ride my bike to my somewhere we can meet and he can get me. Anyone know if I could call the local sheriff to just see if that really happened? No details, just was there a rape there in the last month? I cannot find it in the paper but not every rape or violent crime ends up in the paper. Although I do wonder how his friend knew of it. Ugh it is really messing with me!!

I found the paper article about the incident. I have to decide how much I can handle riding through that area. There is no alternative to going through that area and once it is dark it is a really open area with no lights. I am hoping to get some mace or pepper spray before the time change.
    Last edited by Aggie_Ama; 09-30-2008 at 07:35 PM.
    Amanda

This is a concern of mine as I travel through a dark area that is part of a bike path but behind a supermarket and a crappy area. I've already seen creepoids on the path in broad daylight.

I have a personal alarm I carry with me given out for free at a Women's safety thing. It isn't meant to call for help, it's meant to scare the hell out of an attacker (it has a really high pitched whine and flashing lights) - giving enough time to get away. I feel better carrying this. I also ride a lot faster through that area. And, I have lights on my bike and helmet.

Someone told me, if you are ever attacked, HOLD ON TO YOUR BIKE and make a lot of noise.
    I can do five more miles.

Week 1 - 5/5 days
    Week 2 - 5/5 days

I don't think I drove a car once during September. It is starting to be dark/dusky mornings and evenings, but I've got loads of lights, including my favorite, the Down Low Glow. I hear it's very noticeable even in just overcast or dim weather.

(Caveat: I do ride in a car on the weekends with the DH when we're going places; he's really not into going by bike, so that's that. I'd really like to convince him to use his nice new bike that we just got this spring more often, but he's convinced he just Does Not Like bike commuting/errand-running. )
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    This is a concern of mine as I travel through a dark area that is part of a bike path but behind a supermarket and a crappy area. I've already seen creepoids on the path in broad daylight.

I have a personal alarm I carry with me given out for free at a Women's safety thing. It isn't meant to call for help, it's meant to scare the hell out of an attacker (it has a really high pitched whine and flashing lights) - giving enough time to get away. I feel better carrying this. I also ride a lot faster through that area. And, I have lights on my bike and helmet.

Someone told me, if you are ever attacked, HOLD ON TO YOUR BIKE and make a lot of noise.
    Good thoughts. We had already planned to have DH pick me up along the way, he eventually comes up on me but some days it is a little further than others. I am considering pepper spray but might look for one of those alarms. It is very isolated but such an alarm might startle someone enough to make them think again. Or long enough to call 911 and make them think twice. I am also looking for a women's defense class. I don't want to stop commuting, it is too good of exercise for one scum to ruin it!
    Amanda

I wanted to thank you ladies for starting this thread. I am feeling lazy today - from a lower body torture session, er, ah, workout, yesterday and could not bring myself to actually do a Spinervals this morning, but thinking of the promise I made to y'all, I hopped on Mike the Bike and rode in to the office. That nice little spin helped loosen a lot of tight things! :P

Put me down for 2 Days - I know I can do that, but I'll aim for 3.
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

hemisphere

Wrong hemisphere

I thought about starting something like this in May for our cooler months but it seemed a bit pointless..

Keep riding in the dark, it's not that bad!

I had my first really chilly commute of the season, low 40s. I hit the layers right, but might have been a little more comfy in full finger gloves. But I won't need them this afternoon.

Week 2- I did one day for 27.05 miles. Carpooled with DH today so we can do some shopping after his doctor's appointment.
    Amanda

While I don't work today I'm probably going to go over to see a lecture on "performance enhancing drugs in sports" (I work at a hospital - interesting people/lectures are a fringe benefit ), so I'll be adding an extra day. It's not raining right now, but it has that look of utter downpour.... I guess I better get used to it.

On a nice note - we had a bicycle commuter focus group yesterday at work. They really are committed to making cycling to work as desirable as possible.
    "Sharing the road means getting along, not getting ahead" - 1994 Washington State Driver's Guide

visit my flickr stream http://flic.kr/ps/MMu5N

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Today was my first commute of the week (I had to travel to a funeral earlier in the week). It was chilly, and I almost didn't go, but I'm glad I did. Only 7 miles, but that's 7 miles more than yesterday! I saw my across-the-street neighbor at the post office (she had driven). She said I was so good to ride my bike; I think she was kindof embarrassed that she drove, although I certainly don't judge her for not riding a bike. I actually had mail, so it was successful commute!