Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

wanna help me buy a kayak?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Soooo - I've kayaked every now and then for a couple of years, rented or borrowed kayaks on short (1-3 hours) trips, lake or calm sea. And I've finally realized that I really really really want my OWN kayak, that will fit me well. And then I realized how darn expensive they are

I was thinking of buying one used, but now I've got a reasonably good offer on a new Prijon Catalina:
    http://www.coloradokayak.com/Prijon-...-Touring-Kayak
    and am going to try it out in the water today. It's a very snug kayak, not much room in there.

But I also just now saw a Necky Eliza on sale:
    http://www.neckykayaks.com/kayaks/to..._polymer.shtml
    It would cost a bit more, but includes a vest (which I already have), a carbon oar, and a spraydeck.

Has anybody tried any of these? They're both what I'm looking for, which is a snug, low-volume, fast but reasonably stable sea kayak in plastic. Oh and lightweight and cheap too, of course
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Haven't tried either, but as another erstwhile kayak renter I might live vicariously through reading about your shopping experience.

Both boats look really great.

Have fun, I hope you find something you really love!

My DH has done a lot of kayaking/canoeing and used to work in a kayak/canoe shop, so knows alot about the different brands. He said that both the ones you're looking at at good quality boats (in general) but he's not familiar particularly with those models (they might be models only available in Europe). BUT, he did say that the Prijon's were more expensive in the U.S. then the Necky but he saw no different as far as quality/features to warrant that price difference. The Prijons are made in Germany, he said, and the Necky is made in the U.S.--which might have accounted for the price difference though.

He also suggested you look at the Necky Looksha models--he said they were "very popular" with women and seemed to just "fit women" very well, and that it is a "very capable" boat. He knew one woman who kayaked over 1/2 the length of the Mississippi River in a Looksha.

He said that "if you can afford it" though and really want quality to get a P & H Kayak. They're made in England and are excellent quality--well worth the money. He said you can "stand across the room" and see the different in quality between a P & H and any other kayak. He had a P & H kayak and took it on several long-distance trips, including kayaking from Key Largo to Key West and the Florida Everglades a couple of times. You can see his trip notes/photos here if you're interested

Florida Keys 2004

Florida Everglades

Hope this might help.

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    I have a Necky Manitou - a bit smaller than what you're looking at, and more recreationally oriented. However, DH and I love it (prefer it over our older Dagger Cypress). The Necky has a nice shallow keel and tracks nicely, and it is a much drier boat in chop. I can't say if the Eliza is the same, but if it's similarly well thought out, it should prove to be a nice boat.

Paddling.net has a nice buyer's guide. You can check that out and be overwhelmed with options!

Good luck!

eta: Oh, and I also sprung for a carbon paddle...I love it! Lightweight and stiff. Awesome!
    Last edited by 7rider; 09-24-2008 at 03:06 AM. Reason: Can't spell before coffee!
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Oooo - so today I get to drive for 2 hours () to try out the Catalina... I hope I like it... I hope I don't tip over... I hope it fits my dh! I'm trying to rationalize it by thinking that the rest of the family can use it too

Thank you for the good info. I think the Catalina is a "better" boat than the Eliza, Prijon uses an extremely sturdy, hard plastic for their boats and are well thought of. But I may conceivably be getting a little ahead of myself in wanting a "fast, nimble" boat. I just don't want to end up buying a boat I'll outgrow within a year. But if it's a little too unstable it may not be good for the rambling look-here-and-there-photography trips I also want to do...

arr, so much to think about. I think the offer on the Catalina is good enough that I can end up selling it used for almost the same price, if it doesn't work out.

Thanks for listening
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

Wish I could help but all our kayaks are sit-on-tops. Def let us know how your test paddle goes.

I went and bought it I'm not very patient... After a 2 hour drive to test paddle it, I was ready to buy anything that didn't physically pitch me out. The Catalina is a surprisingly plain boat, the finish is matte, the decals are a bit garish and the bow is straight, not upswept, so even though it's quite narrow and sleek it looks, well, a bit ugly. But that's ok, I may lust after the shiny bling stuff but I do much better with plain functional stuff. And it's very functional. The hatches are very good, easy to open and solid waterproof, the rudder is huge and works excellently with very good pedals once I got them dialed in. The fit is very snug. That's what I get for all that cycling - difficulty fitting my thighs below deck My skinny longlegged dh fit better! But I can carve a bit out of the thigh braces if I want to. I can also sit with my knees up out of the cockpit if I don't need the bracing. The paddle I borrowed was very different from the one I've used recently so I couldn't really get the boat up to speed. It's said to be "fast", but I did notice the downside of that - it turns like a plank. So I tossed a little Newcastle Brown Ale over the bow once I got it home and christened it "Plank"

Since it's narrow it's also a little more tippy than the extremely stable beginner boats I've tried so far, but not uncomfortably so, just that if I lean over the boat will keep leaning until it, presumably, goes around. But it's easy to right up again.

So I have a kayak! W00t!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    COOL! A kayak is way up on my list, but still below a kitchen for my house (that starts next week). IF (and that's a big IF) I have any money left over, I'm going to buy myself a kayak. I've had my eye on the Wilderness Systems Tempest 165 for a few years. It's the one I like to paddle the most. Congratulations!

Congrats on the new boat!

*snort* tried out my new baby today, and ran into a really awful patch of neverending super-shallow siltbank on the river, and after trying to no avail to paddle or push myself out of it I just gave up. So po'ed I won't even look up
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0249.gif 
Views:	363 
Size:	131.7 KB 
ID:	7477  

if you are too upset with your kayak, I know a little girl who would be willing to take if off your hands.

or you can wait for the melting of the ice caps...
    Last edited by madscot13; 10-12-2008 at 01:04 PM.
    Thanks TE! You pushed me half way over!
    http://pages.teamintraining.org/nca/seagull08/tnguyen

It looks like you're taking your pet kayak for a walk

Liquid portage

LOL! pet kayak! I love that!

We've all been there. Sometimes all the "ooomph" you can muster won't get you off a sandbar. Just look at it as practice for a portage.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    *snort* tried out my new baby today, and ran into a really awful patch of neverending super-shallow siltbank on the river, and after trying to no avail to paddle or push myself out of it I just gave up. So po'ed I won't even look up
    Did you get some paddling anyway? Most of the places we paddle are tidal, and when the tide is low, you get stuck every 10 feet it seems

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

It was a great trip really, no need to complain Not far from where I live two slow rivers run together and into a largish lake, and there are lots of meandering loops and delta islands to paddle in and around. Lots of birds in the spring, now just gaggles of geese practicing for their big departure. We paddled straight out and crossed the first river, turned upstream to get above the largest island, found a really beautiful narrow river "arm" running parallell downstream again, and then got stuck on the silt flats trying to cross back again. The wind had picked up too so we got some choppy waves going back, nothing large at all but it was good to get a little feel for what waves feel like in a not absolutely rock-stable kayak. As long as I used a little power heading into the waves it felt great. I like my kayak