Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

To disable ads, please log-in.

I'm also gonna point out that they do make serious sit on top kayaks:
    http://www.rei.com/product/785481

among others. You can get fiberglass ones, if you're doing kayaking in the surf zone or waves, there's a lot of advantages to sit on tops - and a lot of the extreme surf kayakers use them.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I'm going to the Outer Banks in July and the house we're renting has kayaks, apparently. I've never surfed with a kayak, and I'm really excited to try. I'm pretty sure they are recreational SOTs, which is fine with me for surfing. There are also awesome marshes, so I expect I'll get out and do some serious birdwatching, which SOTs are also great for.

I rented a tandem sit on top in Hawaii to visit some islands once - it was great for what we were doing, what wasn't great was the guy that I was with who was terrified of water and waves who freaked out anytime i rocked the boat.

make sure to get a current map and/or have a GPS when you're exploring those marshes... I know that area of coast/wetlands remaps itself every hurricane season and it's really important to have an updated map.

As someone that once spent 20 hours paddling in a salt marsh looking for a camp ground - I will continue to stress - have a gps and a good map.

I will also stress - have lots of bug spray. If those marshes are anything like the ones on the Virginia barrier islands or on Assateague, the mosquitos are absolutely vicious and do bite you continuously for 20 hours even if you spray yourself with DEET every 10 minutes. Picaridin based bug sprays work better and won't melt the plastic on your boat or paddle.

It's been a long time since I've paddled down in the outer banks - so I can't really remember anything else about down there, but I'd just rented a kayak for a couple hours when I was down there, I wasn't paddling back then.

I'm gonna go explore the virginia barrier islands this weekend. Going to paddle out to Mockhorn island, camp out & use it as a base to explore more of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Catriona View Post

I'm gonna go explore the virginia barrier islands this weekend. Going to paddle out to Mockhorn island, camp out & use it as a base to explore more of them.

I am so jealous.
    I know I don't need to remind you to take photos.
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

ha. You probably won't be when I tell you how many mosquito bites, ticks, and horse fly bites I have at the end of this weekend.

if you're lucky, I'll show you 'em next week.

I just got this email:

Appomattox River Company
    Independance Day Special
    Kayak, paddle and PFD for only $349.00 (We can't say which kayak this is because the manufacturer would be mad at us for our low price.)
    Stop by one of our stores for details or call (800) 442-4837
    Our Midlothian and Kiln Creek stores will be closed on the 4th of July but our Farmville store will be open from 9 am til 1pm.

Zen, I'll make you suffer through all my photos. hopefully I will find a few flowers to take pics of to torture you with.

I'm debating whether to put a long zoom on the slr & take it with in a pelican case to try to get bird pics. but mostly that will just result in me being very paranoid about my baby. And having a big clunky thing on my deck. Things on my deck irritate me. And I'm not sure my zoom is fast enough that I can hold it in a kayak in waves at 500 mm and get a good bird shot, and not fry my camera with salt water.

I just spent $100 on a new derailleur so there is no kayak in my near future.

Ugh... The aurora? was the derailleur actually bad or were you just upgrading?

Rear or front? and what level did you put on?

Ugh... The aurora? was the derailleur actually bad or were you just upgrading?
    That, I don't know. What I do know is the new 105 is sublime.

steepandcheap.com's got a not bad paddle for reasonably cheap right now this second. carbon fiber & lightweight. $74 + shipping

I'm in love with kayaking at the moment. Haven't used my own that much, because my job has moved to a new building right next to the ocean - and 2 minutes from the kayak club w00t! - so I've been using the club boats recently. But yesterday I took my red plastic baby (that sounded funny but you know what I mean) out for a paddle on the local river.

...*sigh*... I love kayaking. Did I already say that? I am so happy I can do that as a regular activity now and not just on vacation.

Pics form the river here:
    http://www.facebook.com/album.php?ai...2&l=bd32aff8ea

Oh, and some pics from the ocean here):
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=659276922
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...0&id=659276922
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...2&id=659276922
    http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...c&id=659276922

I love kayaking
    Last edited by lph; 09-19-2009 at 11:35 PM.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    I love kayaking
    Me, too.

While we were paddling around a reservoir today, 7rider and I were talking about how lucky you are to be able to kayak before work and how beautiful the picture you posted in the commuting thread was.

Kayaking is so fun, and I thank Kalidurga and 7rider for introducing me to it.

I'm putting my boat on the car in a few, so I can take my brother kayaking.

I also love kayaking

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Me, too!

I'm also gonna point out that they do make serious sit on top kayaks:
    http://www.rei.com/product/785481

among others. You can get fiberglass ones, if you're doing kayaking in the surf zone or waves, there's a lot of advantages to sit on tops - and a lot of the extreme surf kayakers use them.
    I'm very glad to have stumbled across this thread. I've been wondering about a sit on top kayak and wondered how good they were? I know I don't want an enclosed one. This would be for open lake, calm river paddling. new exploration. jenn