Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Winter Gear

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    Ironically, the water-repellent quality of GORE water-resistant jackets fades after the first season. If you read their label, they even say this themselves and they recommend spraying their jackets with something like ScotchGuard water repellent spray periodically to keep the jacket rain repellent. Frankly, I think this is pretty ludicrous considering how expensive Gore jackets are
    If you understand how breathable fabrics work, it makes sense.

Water needs to be able to bead on the outside of the fabric so that the pores aren't blocked. That's why you always use soap, never detergent, to wash breathable garments, and it's also why the coating on the exterior is an integral part of the function.

I'm not sure ScotchGard leaves the pores open (but I don't really know). Most fabric manufacturers recommend NikWax. Skiers and motorcyclists swear by the stuff. For warmer temperatures than skiing and/or heavier sweating than recreational street motorcycling, it's my experience also that letting water out one molecule at a time just isn't enough. Still, you bet I NikWax my walking-around rain jacket, and it works great.
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

btw, the Gore Phantom jacket isn't meant to be waterproof at all, it's not Goretex. But as new it's fairly water-resistant anyway.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    btw, the Gore Phantom jacket isn't meant to be waterproof at all, it's not Goretex. But as new it's fairly water-resistant anyway.
    oh, then it sounds (and looks) a lot like my Shebeest WindPro jacket. Snuggly warm, stretchy, with some windproofing and raindrops tend to bead up on it unless it rains heavily...then forget it. ;D
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I've put a water-repellent shell over a wool sweater. I don't feel really soaked that way. I'm not a big fan of Gore, and I hate the price (I also don't like Gore coated guitar strings, but that's another forum)

Deb

I gave the underside of my Brooks a good coating of Proofide and I wipe it down after a ride. I think that'll be as good as it gets. I really don't want to ride a different saddle.

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    Oooh, new winter jacket on it's way
    Here it is - and it fits! It's loose enough over the shoulders and long enough in the back, but still snug around my forearms and comfortably narrow in the torso. I'm thrilled. Very neat zipper details - 4! pit zips, small chest pocket, big rear pocket, sleeves can be unzipped to fit over thick gloves.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jakke400.jpg 
Views:	498 
Size:	70.0 KB 
ID:	10293  
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Found wonderful warm mittens (GKS) at the local Farm & Fleet this evening. I hate frozen fingers. Seems like these will do the trick, and only $21!

Deb

Question about the Moose Mitts -- are they easy to get hands in and out, for the purpose of signaling a turn?

That looks like a nice jacket, lph!

REI Headwind Bike Pants

I got a pair of these for Christmas and am loving them. They are loose tights, windproof front panel, ankle zips, reflective stripe down each side. So far I've cross-county skied in them and biked in them. They've been perfect down to about 35 degrees and maybe a bit lower. There's room for tights or long underwear under them too. Now I can go skiing at a groomed xc place and look like a skier, not an old fuddy-duddy in wool army surplus pants (I do love my wool pants, though).
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

Quote Originally Posted by DebW View Post
    I got a pair of these for Christmas and am loving them. They are loose tights, windproof front panel, ankle zips, reflective stripe down each side. So far I've cross-county skied in them and biked in them. They've been perfect down to about 35 degrees and maybe a bit lower. There's room for tights or long underwear under them too. Now I can go skiing at a groomed xc place and look like a skier, not an old fuddy-duddy in wool army surplus pants (I do love my wool pants, though).
    I have a pair of those, love them.

I've been wearing these with base layer underneath and they are AWESOME for very, very cold rides: http://www.bikesonline.com/craft-win...t-black-xl.htm

I've been using this line of products for base layering for really cold rides, which i LOVE: http://www.eddiebauer.com/FIRST-ASCE...ayer/index.cat
    ~ working mom to 3 little girls ~

Roadie... 2010 54cm Trek Madone 4.5, Bontrager inForm

What jacket will I use for both winter and summer? Any recommendations?

@lph, you look great in your new jacket. I bought a black Endura Luminite jacket which I like a lot. Not high vis, but amlot of reflective markings on it.

I wnt to a local army surplus store today (LBS guy told me the wool gloves there are cheaper). I can buy fingerless wool gloves for $4.97, but on a day when it's over 80 it's not motivating to think about cold weather riding. I'll go back when it's cooler.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

Oh, regarding Brooks, I bought a Brooks size medium waterproof seat cover today at Clever Cycles. The new covers are solid black with no branding on them.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls & looks like work" - Thomas Edison

did you say waterPROOF?
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi