Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Gear

Winter Gear

To disable ads, please log-in.

Please use this thread for discussions involving winter gear.

Using Buffs in the Winter

I have been looking at buying a Buff. They are clearly very versatile and look like a great piece of cycling gear. I have never had one before so I don't know if the regular ones are really good for keeping you warm, or should I get one of the fleece varieties?

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    This is very confusing. I don't mean to hijack the thread here, but.....
    The administrator put another sticky thread under Apparel titled "Winter clothing"
    To me, winter clothing and 'winter gear' are mostly the same thing, since aside from studded tires there isn't that much else you put on your bike for winter riding....so we're mostly talking about stuff you wear in one way or another.
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 10-15-2008 at 12:57 PM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Sorry, I think this IS in the wrong place - and yes, it is a bit confusing!

Fenders? I'm thinking about riding my mountain bike more this fall/winter, I know I need to get studded tires, but what about fenders, if I've going to ride trails??
    2011 Specialized Secteur Elite Comp
    2006 Trek 7100

Studded tires, fenders, lights, reflectors, down-lo-glow...insulated water bottles & coffee holders...

I can think of lots of non-apparel winter gear!

Geocam - I use buffs all year round. I do have one polar one, but it's too hot for me most of the winter (above about 20 F). It's actually polar fleece on one end and regular buff material on the other. I've always thought it was rather odd and could never figure out a good way of wearing it that took advantage of both ends properly!

I normally just use regular buffs and double them up if it's really cold. I do have tons of hair and I overheat easily--so take this all into consideration when thinking about your own needs.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Quote Originally Posted by GLC1968 View Post
    Studded tires, fenders, lights, reflectors, down-lo-glow...insulated water bottles & coffee holders...

I can think of lots of non-apparel winter gear!
    I think of fenders, lights and reflectors as more like commuter gear- riding to work year round in rain or shine, heat or clod, light or darkness.
    Lisa

Quote Originally Posted by BleeckerSt_Girl View Post
    I think of fenders, lights and reflectors as more like commuter gear- riding to work year round in rain or shine, heat or clod, light or darkness.
    See where I live, you only need fenders for the winter (I think it rained twice all summer!), so that's 'winter' gear to me. Plus, who commutes in the dark in the summer? Doesn't just about everyone get daylight long enough for commuting (unless you are 3rd shift, obviously) in the summer months?

But yeah - maybe they should be in the 'winter commuting' sub forum?
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

Do those of you who ride a Brooks saddle switch it out for the winter?

Deb

PS Has anyone tried "Moose Mitts" — I'm thinking seriously of trying them. My hands are cold on normal days and my fingers turn white with cold. I don't think they make a cycling glove that will keep them warm.

Quote Originally Posted by blackhillsbiker View Post
    Has anyone tried "Moose Mitts" — I'm thinking seriously of trying them. My hands are cold on normal days and my fingers turn white with cold. I don't think they make a cycling glove that will keep them warm.
    I purchased Moose Mitts for DH for Christmas last year. World of difference, he says. His are the MTB version, but we're thinking of splurging and putting them on the road bikes also. Like you, I suffer from the 'skeleton finger' issue, and my hands are never warm, even when wearing a second pair of gloves over my winter riding gloves with wind block. Sigh! Moose Mitts for the road bike are looking pretty enticing now that the temps are starting to drop!
    "If we know where we want to go, then even a stony road is bearable." ~~ Horst Koehler

Oooh, new winter jacket on it's way

My beloved Gore Phantom jacket has been getting, ahem, more and more breathable and less and less water-repellent, and I just recently gave my new bike rain jacket to my dh for his birthday since it fit him better. So I've been looking for a new winter jacket, preferably hi-viz, and if possible water-repellent enough to ride out the rain showers as well. This one - Endura Stealth - has got such rave reviews that I just went for it - highly breathable waterproof (!) softshell, lots of good details, pit zips. Made to withstand mtbiking in Scottish rain... Not hi-viz, but plenty of reflective stripes which is more important.

Watch this space - if it doesn't fit I'll be looking to sell it!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	stealth.jpg 
Views:	586 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	10196  
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by lph View Post
    My beloved Gore Phantom jacket has been getting, ahem, more and more breathable and less and less water-repellent,
    Have you been treating it with NikWax?
    Speed comes from what you put behind you. - Judi Ketteler

No, I've just let it degenerate... and I've taken a couple of tumbles in it so it has a few holes here and there. But I do have a really comfy breathable jacket as a result

PS. I don't know what Moose Mitts are, but I use Pearl Izumi lobster gloves in winter, and they're too warm above -4 deg C or so (25 F). Not the best dexterity there is, but definitely warm.

PPS. Googled Moose Mitts. Looked like a great idea!
    Last edited by lph; 10-06-2009 at 06:10 AM.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Quote Originally Posted by blackhillsbiker View Post
    Do those of you who ride a Brooks saddle switch it out for the winter?
    No way. Why would I want to be uncomfortable? You wouldn't be able to pry my Brooks off my cold dead butt. (hmmm that sounds interesting)

PS Has anyone tried "Moose Mitts" — I'm thinking seriously of trying them. My hands are cold on normal days and my fingers turn white with cold. I don't think they make a cycling glove that will keep them warm.
    In real cold I often wear a pair of soft cashmere or alpaca gloves as liners, then a good warm pair of regular gloves, then a looser men's pair of windstopper thinner flexible ski gloves over that. The looseness provides more insulation. Just enough with the 3 pairs to keep me really warm but still be able to work the brifters. The outer gloves have leather palms and are not slippery.

My beloved Gore Phantom jacket has been getting, ahem, more and more breathable and less and less water-repellent
    Ironically, the water-repellent quality of GORE water-resistant jackets fades after the first season. If you read their label, they even say this themselves and they recommend spraying their jackets with something like ScotchGuard water repellent spray periodically to keep the jacket rain repellent. Frankly, I think this is pretty ludicrous considering how expensive Gore jackets are, so once my Gore biking jacket bites the dust I don't plan on buying any more Gore 'rain' jackets. Mine isn't really rain proof OR wind proof, and it makes me sweat. Guess I should stick to my Ibex wool and my Shebeest stuff.
    Lisa

I use my Brooks all year round. The only time I have ever seen a brooks ruined is when my husband rode a 24 hour fleche in the rain. that's right, around the clock, started at 4pm finished at 4pm. Brooks saddles can get wet, just like leather shoes. They just can't handle being soaked for hours and hours and hours. And if where you live, you have conditions like that; I guess a Brooks won't work. Sometimes after a ride, we have to drive in rain (even driving rain ) i just put a plastic bag over my saddle - works better than the fancy saddle cover.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi