Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Winter Clothing

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just ordered these tights from TE, taking advantage of their FREE SHIPPING til Nov 3rd!:
    http://www.teamestrogen.com/prodCR_193363.html
    My goal is to have them loose enough to wear over my regular long SheBeest biking/chamois tights when it's down in the 20's and 30s and windy.
    Guess I'll report back if they fit right and I decide to keep them.
    Anyone else here have them?
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Another recommendation for the cold weather:

http://www.rei.com/product/770632

I thought I'd give these a go -- being one of those who gets cold feet rather easily. They are a dream. The bonus---your calves stay extra toasty. Wish they were TIGHTS, actually, or came up to the top of my thighs.

They aren't too bulky so a chemical heat warmer toasts your toes nicely. Also, there's room in your shoe so the heat can circulate.

Quote Originally Posted by Velobambina View Post
    Another recommendation for the cold weather:

http://www.rei.com/product/770632

I thought I'd give these a go -- being one of those who gets cold feet rather easily. They are a dream. The bonus---your calves stay extra toasty. Wish they were TIGHTS, actually, or came up to the top of my thighs.

They aren't too bulky so a chemical heat warmer toasts your toes nicely. Also, there's room in your shoe so the heat can circulate.
    I don't have those in particular, but I do have some snowboarding sox. I love them.

Why is wool so popular for cycling?

It's clear that wool clothing is popular for cycling, but I haven't found any explanation of why.

Can anyone explain?

Pam

Quote Originally Posted by PamNY View Post
    It's clear that wool clothing is popular for cycling, but I haven't found any explanation of why.

Can anyone explain?

Pam
    I'm a recent convert, and what's most obvious to me is that wool doesn't get drenched with sweat. It breathes well, so that after riding the material isn't soaked.

Can anyone explain?

Pam
    If you do a little reading on the wool weenies thread, all your questions about 'the Whys of Wool' will be amply answered:
    http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=11808
    Lisa

I did read much of the "Wool Weenies" thread, but it sounded more fun-fashion-oriented (nothing wrong with that, just wasn't what I wanted). There was a link to an article stating that wool is making a comeback, but it didn't say why.

I wondered if there's a technical reason why wool would be better than my various fleece/Capilene combinations.

Pam

I like wool because, for me, it wicks as well as synthetics, but doesn't get stinky. Also, it just feels nice.

I did read much of the "Wool Weenies" thread, but it sounded more fun-fashion-oriented (nothing wrong with that, just wasn't what I wanted). There was a link to an article stating that wool is making a comeback, but it didn't say why.

I wondered if there's a technical reason why wool would be better than my various fleece/Capilene combinations.

Pam
    To me, it insulates better (even when wet). It stinks way less than my synthetics (if I'm doing a short ride, I can re-wear a wool top). And I like the way it feels
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Pam
    The wool weenie thread has lots of people asking what's so great about wool and getting answers about wool's practical qualities.
    Basically-
    Wool breathes while it's keeping you warm, so you don't get as sweaty as you warm up like you might with a poly windbreaker, etc..
    wool keeps you warm even when it gets damp from rain or sweat.
    wool doesn't get stinky under the arms after one wearing like polyester does-it can usually be worn quite a few times before needing a washing. A great benefit when traveling or touring!
    wool enables you to wear several thin layers and stay as warm as someone with big puffy mounds of man-made layers. This space saving helps when packing stuff on your bike too.
    Lisa

Interesting. I'm definitely going to try a few wool pieces. The thrift shops here are good so I can get some things cheap (I may look ridiculous, but that's okay). Thanks.

Pam

Interesting. I'm definitely going to try a few wool pieces. The thrift shops here are good so I can get some things cheap (I may look ridiculous, but that's okay). Thanks.

Pam
    One other thing- in recent years, companies like SmartWool, Ibex, Icebreaker, Patagonia, etc, have been making wool apparel in 100% merino wool (from merino sheep) that is made in such a way as to be machine washable and dryable (in mild temperature settings of course). These new (and fairly pricey) merino duds won't shrink like the older wool socks and sweaters we typically find in thrift shops. I machine wash and dry most of my good merino stuff all the time, on low/gentle settings, and they don't seem to suffer from it or shrink noticeably. The other advantage of the new merino wear is that it is substantially less itchy than the old familiar wool stuff of our childhoods. It's soft.
    Something to consider when you are buying stuff.
    Lisa

Short or long sleeve?

I'm going to try a wool baselayer shirt from Icebreaker or similar. Can't decide if short or long sleeves would be more useful.

I have zero experience with specialized bike clothing but I've read about arm warmers. So...do your arms get especially cold biking? Is the usual warm-the-trunk philosophy different for biking?

I'd appreciate any thoughts.

Pam

um... if your arms aren't getting cold, you don't need to look for "winter biking clothing"

No, in general keeping your trunk warm will get you to a certain temp, but once you feel the need to put on a jacket, arm-warmers and legwarmers can be a handy way to keep your arms and legs warm but still adapt quickly if the day gets warmer. Plus they take little room in a jersey pocket, and are cheaper than buying a full jacket and tights. Downside - you have to have grippy bands of elastic+silicone around your upper arm/thigh. I prefer a longsleeved jersey unless I'm really pressed for carrying space.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

I've never had any trouble keeping my core warm on the bike, even riding in the 20s. But my extremities do get cold. Your arms aren't really doing a lot on the bike and really catch the wind. Fingers and toes can be just miserable.

On cold days I've been known to wear arm warmers under a long sleeved jersey.