Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

99th commute of the year. Dark and wet!

To disable ads, please log-in.

This morning was my 99th commute. A lot of you know it is not really long (4 miles) but 3 of those miles are on busy industrial roads. This means two things; a lot of light and a lot of traffic.
    My DH already knows my rules. Dark and dry, wet and light, but NOT wet and dark. So he joyfully reported at 545am that it was DRY out, no rain, and we prepared to ride our bikes to work.
    We got out the door and he said "I'm sorry; it just started to rain." I could hear the scattered drops, looked at the dry pavement and decided to go for it. I think his jaw dropped, but i couldn't see, it was dark. We rode down Beacon Avenue with rain shooting out from under my front fender into the light of my headlamp, it looked like sparkler sparks. We crossed at the light and headed towards the serious industrial traffic and commuter arterials and the rain lessoned. By the time I had gotten to work, I was almost dry. I'd gambled and won. I have one more commute to go to meet my goal. I hope to get several more in before the end of the year!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Congrats Mimi! I'm trying to get to 25 commutes.
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Yay Mimi!!!! I still have trouble being comfortable doing training rides in the dark (much less rain). I'll ride to the store (1.5 miles), but have yet to get up my nerve to really do any kind of distance (especially on dark roads...).

Kudos to you!!

CA
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

Wow...I'm living vicariously through you. My commuter season got cut short. I'm hoping just to get one more in. Just one more...

Mimi - all I can say is wow! 99 commutes!
    I hear you about either dark or wet but not both...congratulations on going for it.
    Just about the end of the commuting season up here, but can't resist just one more, and one more and okay, just one more.
    Hadn't thought to keep track of the number of commutes - will do that next year!
    Margaret

Serendipity

"So far, this is the oldest I've ever been....."

today was 100! This morning it was much cooler, and dry thank goodness. I ran over two things (small) that I would have seen and avoided in the daylight. Even with my fancy generator lights, I still feel like it's not bright enough to see.

keep riding your bikes ladies, the payoffs are grand!
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Looking at all the love there that's sleeping
    Congrats, Mimi.
    I was tracking you (and, honestly, marking you) early in the season, but a combination of work travel and loss of motivation caused me to fall off. Now, a squawking IT band and knee pain is putting the final nail in the coffin. I hit 70 yesterday, but I doubt I'll do my century this year.
    Well done! Will you be aiming for a double next year??
    2007 Seven ID8 - Bontrager InForm
    2003 Klein Palomino - Terry Firefly (?)
    2010 Seven Cafe Racer - Bontrager InForm
    2008 Cervelo P2C - Adamo Prologue Saddle

Good for you, and congratulations on commute #100!!!

Sarah

Quote Originally Posted by 7rider View Post
    Congrats, Mimi.
    I was tracking you (and, honestly, marking you) early in the season, but a combination of work travel and loss of motivation caused me to fall off. Now, a squawking IT band and knee pain is putting the final nail in the coffin. I hit 70 yesterday, but I doubt I'll do my century this year.
    Well done! Will you be aiming for a double next year??
    I'm sorry to hear about your knee problems, that's a real bummer.

no, definitely not. but i'll be aiming on doing better next year. 200 commutes, Raleighdon is on track for doing that. He rides when I won't.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna

Congratulations and good luck with the rest of the year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1