Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

10 miles -- gasp

To disable ads, please log-in.

Yesterday's training walk was ten miles. This was a tough one, I didn't really train much the last week - work and life got in the way.

We started out at Natural Bridges State Beach; I love this place. We used to come here a lot when I was in my teens, Dad used to scuba dive here. Beginning in October, the Monarch Butterflies come here, it's very cool. We went through the park area, and out to Mission Street. From Mission we walked sidewalks and a MUT that runs along side of Highway 1. (Hills!) Once we got to Wilder Ranch, we took the Old Landing Cove trail, it wound out to the coast where we walked along the bluffs. The ocean is my favorite place, I just seem to gather energy from it. I made one stop, to watch a seal on a rock shelf, then tramped on. This trail is a wide fairly flat dirt/sand trail. I kept thinking it would be fun on a fat tire bike. Once we finished the loop, we followed the same MUT back to Natural Bridges. The trip back was rough, I haven't done enough hill training and my legs and butt were letting me know. I ate my Mojo bar, and just about finished off my bottle of Lemonade Cliff Shot.

But wait! There's more! That was only 8 miles...I was feeling fried at this point and I had two more miles. I filled my bottle with water, now I had extremely weak Cliff Shot. We went out West Cliff Drive for a mile, this street winds along the coast - beach or cliffs on one side, gorgeous homes on the other. How horrible to live there.... It was also Coastal Cleanup day, lots of people out with bags, cleaning up other people's trash. I found myself counting my steps, except I'd lose count and start over. Finally, as I was heading back, our team Capitan joined me. We chatted about the houses, and the ocean. Discussed my sore feet and legs. Before I knew it, we were back to the start!

I went to my car, I'd brought a yogurt smoothie which I downed, along with half a bagel brought by one of my team mates. Stretched, walked a little, stretched some more. The drive home was fast, everyone was going the other way to the beach! Once back in San Jose, I decided to stop at the store and get a sandwich for lunch. Got out of the car....OMG. I felt like a little old lady, toddling into the store. Legs, butt, feet. Oof. Got my food and drove home. After my shower, I stretched some more, then ate lunch, topped off by some Advil.

This was a hard one for me, I know now I need to get to the weekly hill training sessions, in addition to the track sessions.

Foot report - weird blister like thing on one heel, I'm going to get some Sports Shield that Coach recommended and put it on my feet. Sox from SK -- love 'em. Balega Lady Enduro --thanks SK! I'll stop by the running store later today for the Sports Shield and some new SuperFeet. I think I'll show them where the weird blister thing is, see what they recommend.

What I learned. I need to carry more food! I brought one Mojo bar. WRONG. I needed at least two bars, or maybe a baggie of trail mix along with the one bar, and some additional drink powder. I'll be ready for next weekend's 2.5 hour walk. I'm wondering if I should break out my Endurolytes from my bike bag.

What an awesome place for a training walk! Funny how life gets in the way of our plans, isn't it. Keep up the good work. You're almost there!

Veronica
    Discipline is remembering what you want.

TandemHearts.com

Good job Snap. I did a 14 mile hike with my Dad about a year ago. I brought something like 2-4 Cliff bars and two apples. I had my Camelback with the two liters which was not enough. My dad only brought 500 mls of water! It was quite the learning experience on what to take on a hike.

More food was a necessity and I wish I had had Cliff Blocks. We were both dehydrated and needing electrolytes bad. I was crapped up for like two days afterward. Now I have a good supply of cliff blocks and a water filter and other necessary items for a long hike.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    Hey Snap good for YOU! 10 miles is a long walk. I do 5 mile fitness walks about twice a week, but they only have gentle hills- nothing like hiking up a mountain or anything.
    I find this walking to be really good medicine for my hip joints and spine.
    I also find it to be therapeutic both physically and mentally. It is like a meditation for my whole mind, spirit, and body.

Are you seeing any of the benefits yet from this training you've been doing?- tell us more about that.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Good job!! You're almost there!
    Sarah

When it's easy, ride hard; when it's hard, ride easy.

2011 Volagi Liscio
    2010 Pegoretti Love #3 "Manovelo"
    2011 Mercian Vincitore Special
    2003 Eddy Merckx Team SC - stolen
    2001 Colnago Ovalmaster Stars and Stripes

Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    What I learned. I need to carry more food!
    One mojo bar for a ten mile walk! Jeeze, you trying to kill yourself girl ?!

Nevertheless, very well done.

Must find snap some mini-paydays ...

2009 Lynskey R230 Houseblend - Brooks Team Pro
    2007 Rivendell Bleriot - Rivet Pearl

Was wondering how this training was going. Yeah! Good for you. And the SK socks worked out, huh? Might need to get some. And Sports Shield...

That walk sounds gorgeous.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks