Well, I spent my whole day getting ready to ride to the train station this afternoon and return home after dark, at 8:30. For a whopping 8.4 mile trip... (round trip!).
This morning I tested out the cruddy reflective vest I have, and it was not too reflective. So, off to a different lbs than the one I bought my bike at. I got a nice vest and 2 reflective ankle straps with LED flashers. However, I found out one didn't work, after I got home, so I have to go back there and exchange it. I obsessed over what to wear. I don't have to dress up for class, but I don't want to look dorky, either. Plus, it was about 67 this afternoon and predicted to be about 52 tonight. Well, I finally settled on an old pair of cycling capris that were made by Prana for Terry a few years ago. They look like regular pants, but have a very minimal chamois. Then I wore a sleeveless Craft base layer with a regular LS t shirt that has some lycra in it. I stuffed my Shak in my pannier, which was so full, I had to do some serious rearranging to get it to not bang into the spokes.
The ride there was fine, but it was the first time I have ridden in regular shoes in 7 years. I did not like that. I was very wobbly taking off from a line waiting to turn, with cars all around me, which was embarrassing. But, I got to the station and locked my bike in front of the LBS.
I brought way too much stuff in my pannier, which comes off and can be used as a backpack. I was obsessed with planning this, I forgot to do some of my reading, which I have to do now.
Got back to Concord about 8:20. It took me at least 10 minutes to unlock my bike, put on all my reflective gear, put the lights on and get going. I think I was nervous, because I felt a bit shaky. Some of it is just riding my Jamis, which I only ride like once a week, maybe twice. Off I went. Right away I realized my light isn't that great, so I stopped and put my headlamp on. I know, overkill. It helped, but it's not really in the right spot when it's on my helmet. It's a light that's really for hiking. So, all in all, it was kind of fun and peaceful. I know the few cars that were out saw me, as they gave me a wide berth. But there were a few places that I really couldn't see at all. We don't have a lot of street lights out here. But, I know these roads so well, I dealt with it. I am also very nearsighted and wear contacts and my night vision isn't that great, either.
I definitely want to keep doing this on Thursdays, at least until it's so cold I can't stand it.