Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Lightbulb Anyone for a fall/winter commuting challenge?

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi all,
    I have a hard time keeping my consistency with my commute this time of year -- once I'm on the bike I'm happy but the oncoming darkness leaves me a bit low on the motivation scale.

So, I thought I'd see if anyone wanted to join me as a goal partner or partners. The idea would be we each set a doable but a bit of a stretch goal for our commute through the end of the year and check in with each other throughout the next few months for encouragement, ideas, commiseration, what have you!

I haven't figured out my own goal quite yet, though because I travel and telecommute regularly I'm thinking a percentage of my office days. 67%? I commute along Colorado's Front Range and one of our secrets (oops) is that the weather's pretty perfect, if chilly, for fall/winter commuting. Usually dry and clear....

Anyway, let me know if you're interested!

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    Count me in, although I have it easy because I work from home. But my goal is to do my Post Office Commute three days a week all winter. It's only 7 miles round trip, but it will help me get some miles in the winter.

When I lived in DC I got very creative in my winter commuting, so if you have any questions, I might have some answers.

I'm in and ready for a bit of a challenge.

Two months ago, I could barely lift the bike up to the bus rack. Now it feels feather light.

Two months ago, I could barely finish 6 miles a day (3 of which was commuting), and now do 10 miles a day and would do more if daylight lasted longer.

I'm not interested in performance goals as much as I'm interested in quality of life biking goals. So in my case, a challenge to find a continuing supply of interesting subjects to notice or photograph would in itself naturally increase my level of biking performance.

Another challenge would be to stop STOP working so much overtime which is a killer to bike time.

I'm not sure how this could be quantitated but I'm sure it will all shake out as we forge ahead. One definite thing is that I can increase my lunch time biking range to some new unexplored areas.

So, my hat's in the ring. Who else?????
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

I'm going to try to commute on dry days throughout the winter. (this is Seattle)
    It's just too scary to ride in wet AND darkness, but if it's just dark, i'll be riding. I have 5 more rides to do to finish my 100 commutes goal for the year, but I do hope to do more than just that.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

I'm in! My goal is to continue riding to work, five days a week. Rain, shine or snow. Although I do draw the line at ice. bikerHen

Me me me me me! I'd like to commute at least one day per week through October and move up to two days of week starting November 1 til the end of the year.

I'm in. I declined quite rapidly last year once it started to get dark, cold and wet (hastened by having the flu myself and never properly starting again). I didn't start again regularly until well into spring, but I've been riding almost every day for the past few months and I don't want to slip again.

Stacked against me this year is the fact that I currently have a slow heavy bike until I get my new one, which makes it less fun and the journey slower. I may not get my new bike for about 6 weeks or so, and by then it will probably be cold/dark/wet.

I really want to carry on through the winter. I'm not sure what my goals are yet. Firstly to keep up momentum until I get my new bike. Then to get to spring having ridden at least once a week, but I'd like to do better than that.

I will play. My goal is to only drive our truck one day a week but we alternate who bikes so someone always has my fuel efficient car. I will say minimum one day, max is never more than 2. My husband also tries for 2-3 days and the off day mountain bikes. We use the ride home as exercise so we kind of argue over the balance. Neither of us wants to get up early enough to park and ride and we live too far away to ride the whole way.
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

I want in!!!!!
    Slow and steady (like a train!)

http://kacietri-ing.blogspot.com/

IT's totally, totally doable. It requires deciding that you commute by bike and that the car is a belching last resort. That way, when the alarm goes off that you set with a little extra margin, and you hear the interesting weather, you *don't* say to yourself "is this a good enough excuse to drive?"

You say, "what shall I wear?"

Same with the little potential excuses that present themselves. The answer is not: "Is this a good enough excuse to drive?" but "How can I solve this problem and ride to work?" Or... "okay, if I drive today, how am I going to *ride* tomorrow?"

And you tally the miles and what you saved And treasure the unique moments that wouldn't have happened in a car.

And if you're riding at night, be sure to have a light. Last night I tried to launch a snot rocket, which failed, which was fortunate for the lightless cyclist who'd come up behind me! I don't think I'd have *hit* him, anyway, but it prolly woulda grossed him out proper...

At times when i'm less motivated I find that once I've cycled on a monday it's easier to keep it going for the rest of the week. The problem is that often monday is the hardest day to be motivated on.

I have to change mine now that the dark sets in earlier; although I am as pleased as punch that the teenager so took to bicycle commuting (she's even doing it without me, now) I am not certain I am comfortable with her riding with lights just yet.

So, I am back to last Spring's schedule of 2 days commuting to the bus (11 miles each way) and 1 day of a hybrid commute (drive to bus parking area with bike, ride home [30 miles] that night, ride next day to work [30 miles], bus to parking and drive home.) That should give me about 82 miles a work-week.
    I can do five more miles.

I'm in.

My goal is to ride every day all winter, as long as it's not snowy or icy. I'll be moving to Seattle some time in November, so that means cycling will be up in the air for a while and I don't know what my commuting situation will be, but I intend to continue commuting daily unless it's absolutely impossible.
    Almost a Bike Blog:
    http://kf.rainydaycommunications.net/

Never give up. Never surrender.

I am in

How far is far enough? I do not have a long commute unless I add miles. I have just a short short 3.5 each way. I will try for everyday.

Hey everyone, I was thinking I'd get a couple people to join me but this is awesome!! You all motivated me to commit to that goal of 67% of my office days. I believe I can do more but it's more than I've done consistently lately so I'll start there. I've got an excel chart set up to track my progress, and yes, I've been on the bike despite the challenges of 40 degree temperature swings between when I leave the house before sunrise and ride home around 6pm.

twin, any amount is enough if that's what you want to go for! My ride is "only" 4.5 OW when I use the bike locker but it's 9 miles I probably wouldn't get that day otherwise, a no car day, and a WAY better outlook on my day.

ms pepperpot, I hear you -- getting sick a couple of times last fall and winter is what got me out of the habit too. But I know when I ride consistently I sleep better, eat better, and stay healthier so that's part of why I'm up for the challenge!

tulip, I've liked your plan of biking to the post office -- since I telecommute at least once a week I'm thinking I could make sure that any errands, and/or my Pilates class, is a bike trip and add it to the goal...

Anyway, thanks so much to all of you so far...and there's still plenty of room in this club!