Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Bike racks on busses

To disable ads, please log-in.

I ran across this article today:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcont...1.2682bad.html

I'm conflicted about it. First, the fact that Dallas, which I understand is not a terribly bike-friendly place, is putting bike racks on their busses is a Good Thing.

BUT (you knew that was coming) the tone of the article implies to me that only poor folk (racial overtones) would possibly use either busses or bikes.

Am I being over-sensitive, do I need a chill pill or is that writer just clueless? What is it with the smug assumption that riding a bike to work means you are poor? Some people just don't like driving! Is that so hard to understand?

Um, I'll take that chill pill, now, thanks.

Any other takes on this?
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

sounds like good news to me! the drivers will get used to carrying bikes soon.
    I like Bikes - Mimi
    Watercolor Blog

Davidson Custom Bike - Cavaletta
    Dahon 2009 Sport - Luna
    Old Raleigh Mixte - Mitzi

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    I didn't read it that way at all. The interviewed Mr. Gibbs first, the accountant bike commuter, and at the end talked about the increase in bike commuters. Bike racks on busses benefit a wide variety of people, as it should be.

For a city the size of Dallas, all I can say is, "It's about time!" Most cities that size have had bike racks on their busses for years.

OK, I guess I really am over-sensitive, but -

While bicycles are an option for commuters like Mr. Gibbs, DART is using the racks to target people who don't own a car. The racks provide greater mobility and increased access to jobs and housing to low-income people, said Tony Mendoza, DART's manager of consumer products.

. . .

Putting bike racks on DART buses "makes perfect sense," said the Rev. Jay Cole, executive director of Crossroads Community Services of the First United Methodist Church of Dallas. Mr. Cole's Crossroads ministry works to keep people from becoming homeless and to restore self-sufficiency to those already on the streets.
    - was the reason for the rant.

I need to remind myself that Dallas is going to be doing something I approve of, and be happy that the article was generally positive.

I just wish Lincoln could do the same.
    Give big space to the festive dog that make sport in the roadway. Avoid entanglement with your wheel spoke.
    (Sign in Japan)

1978 Raleigh Gran Prix
    2003 EZ Sport AX

As I said, bike racks on busses will benefit all sorts of people. There's nothing wrong with that in my opinion.

Now let's get started on Lincoln, NE (and Richmond, VA)!

I think the article was just reporting the story, not slanted in any way. It sounds like the city's motivation was more slanted, but unless they're limiting who can use the racks, I don't think it matters. The racks are there and that's a great thing.

I use the racks on the bus system here in Indianapolis all the time. Granted most riders who use the rack aren't all decked out in cycling clothes, the drivers got used to me as well as many of the other bus riders before my injury. When I was unable to ride, the driver's asked where my bike was, now they are happy for me being back on the ride again too. The bus is very convenient to extend your distance covered when you may not have the time to reach point a to point b in the time you have available otherwise. Also there are many areas that you cannot get directly to by bus, so the bus rack is wonderful. They also give me a safety bail out on some rides if I happen to get caught in a questionable area close to dark. With gas prices the way they are, more and more people are riding the bus who normally wouldn't.
    Don't think of it as getting hot flashes. Think of it as your inner child playing with matches

The article definitely suggests that bike commuting, overall, is done for economic reasons. But that probably is the case. The focus of the piece is on public transportation policy, and that's naturally going to be driven by the needs of larger populations.

The most comical thing to me is the comment that they're not marketing to the Spandex crowd. I guess the Spandex crowd travels by SUV to a trail head.

Pam

Bus racks coming to Omaha MONDAY!!

http://forums.teamestrogen.com/showthread.php?t=26884

(If this link doesn't get in her right, it's over in the General thread.)

Guess what, MomOnBike, I never thought that Omaha would do this before Lincoln. Linc is much more bike friendly. The bike racks on busses hit the streets Monday September 29th.

Since there's always been that competition between our two cities, maybe we will actually help light a fire under your city's transportation system.

Oh, hey! Richmond has bike racks on buses. I think that some did and some didn't for the last year, but now they all seem to. Or maybe I'm just noticing more bikes on buses as people are not driving as much. In any case, Yay!

When I was in graduate school 10 years ago (different city, different state) I did a study on bike racks on buses because the regional bus system did not have them (and I wanted them since I used those buses every day). About the time I finished that paper, bike racks appeared on the buses. I never showed that paper to anyone at the transit authority, so it was just coincidence, or maybe good thoughts.
    Last edited by tulip; 09-26-2008 at 05:24 AM.

Tulip, maybe MomOnBike could lay that paper of yours on the Lincoln Transit Authority and get some action!

BTW, my bike and I rode the bus for the first time today. It was neat.

MomOnBike, Omaha didn't put the racks on the busses to benefit the working taxpayer. That didn't even occurr to them. They have some kind of a checklist they're working through to make Omaha a more "business friendly" city. I don't think they even cared that someone might actually use the racks, they just want to use the list to qualify for some designation. They have not publicised or celebrated it at all. The only way anyone knew they were available to use is to check the MAT web site for an announcement.
    Last edited by carpaltunnel; 10-03-2008 at 07:52 PM.