Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

To disable ads, please log-in.

I just found this thread. Am so happy to have found TE and this kind of experiential advice. You all cut down tremendously on my trial and error.

And perhaps the best advice of all:

Quote Originally Posted by Biking Chick
    I've had to fire those members of my Everyone Committee (as in I can't quit my job and ride cross country - what will Everyone think???)
    I have an Everyone Committee, too! This was hilarious, thanks!!!

And I'm taking you seriously! There's some firin' in order....

Quote Originally Posted by nuthatch

Ha, ha! I have peaks and troughs all the time - not just on the bike! Seriously, I have to concentrate on eating while I'm riding, not the night before. Lots of carbs the night before just makes me feel all "loggy-headed" and slow-limbed. I'm like a Betsy-wetsy doll - energy in/energy out and no real storage capacity!
    Hi Nuthatch l have to concentrate on the road while eating while riding,as l havent managed to perfect this skill yet!!!
    lm still looking into carb loading stuff,(l dunno,,, lve a few womens books on sprts performance and l cant find much real difference btwn men and women,(cept that men have way more muscle and we fat!)but lm still looking,as lm interersted.
    lve a peak performance book by (no nonsense) nutritionist.She says an old way of carb loading (workout +deplete glycogen in muscle,eatlow carbs and keep exercising, then rest several days and carb up can make you feel bloated,. due to glycogen is stored with 3 times its weight in water. Amongst other illside effects.She says its recognised now that most effective form of carb load is a diet high in complex carbs regualrily Combined this with strenous workout then rest b4 an "event". You have to eat complex carbs regularily, train your muscles(liver) to store glycogen and to use it regularily, eat/drink on the bike,and top up your "glycogen tank" as soon as poss post ride (~30mins) oh yeah and drink an drink......
    l did learn as we get older our pit stops increase in number !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by jobob
    more than you'd ever want to know about japanese rice & rice balls (follow the links)

http://japanesefood.about.com/cs/des...ks/a/ohagi.htm
    Thankyou forthe recipe,jobob Those beans may be a bit hard to aquire though..But l like the idea,,,, l never thought to mash rice grains together to a pulp,then it will stick and not fly down my throat as rice grains can as l suck it in while riding Maybe l will try an make rice pudding mashballs!

What to eat in the morning?

Every Wednesday, I start anticipating the weekend, thinking: "I"m gonna ride on Saturday morning, early" but then I wake up feelng tired and not ready to get on the bike....I sleep a little later, get up go eat a fairly big breakfast before I feel ready to ride....

So what should I eat fairly soon after I wake up so that I can get out on that bike earlier in the morning? Or should I eat something late in the evening before I go to bed (around 10-11 on Friday nights).

<sigh> I've got so much to learn!

Quote Originally Posted by shadon
    So what should I eat fairly soon after I wake up so that I can get out on that bike earlier in the morning? Or should I eat something late in the evening before I go to bed (around 10-11 on Friday nights).
    I can't eat a ton of food in the morning (unless I want to awaken 2 hours before I want to ride... no thanks!) so when I plan to ride on Saturday morning I have a totally guilt-free pig-out dinner on Friday night. Maybe even some midnight ice cream. Works out quite nicely, in fact.

Quote Originally Posted by shadon
    I find that I really need to eat something before I head out on my bike. It doesn't need to be a huge breakfast, but something. A bowl of cereal with some fresh fruit works, as does just the fruit. And I can happily get on my bike & ride very soon after eating breakfast.

--- Denise
    www.denisegoldberg.com

• Click here for links to journals and photo galleries from my travels on two wheels and two feet.
    • Random thoughts and experiences in my blog at denisegoldberg.blogspot.com

"To truly find yourself you should play hide and seek alone."
    (quote courtesy of an unknown fortune cookie writer)