Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Nothing to do with biking but.......

To disable ads, please log-in.

This has nothing to do with biking but with all the dog-lovers on the board and quite a few of you living on the east coast I thought I'd pass this along in case anyone can help.

Thanks Admin for letting me post this.

Sent: Wednesday, May 04, 2005 10:10 AM
    Subject: FW: 500 Dogs to Die!
    (posted 5/1/05)
    The greyhound track in Plainfield, CT voted on April 26th that they would discontinue greyhound racing. Unfortunately - and heartbreakingly they've also decided that rescuers have only two weeks to get the dogs out, and any dogs remaining at the track on May = 14th will be
    euthanized. This is a monumental task because there are at least 500 dogs currently at the track. These are all young, healthy dogs, 2-4 years of age, who would make great family pets.

Why is the track doing this? Greyhound racing is a business and because the track is no longer profitable, they're getting out. To us, dogs are cherished companions. To the greyhound racing industry, dogs are expendable commodities to be disposed of in whatever way is least expensive and most convenient when they aren't making money.

We've committed to saving as many dogs as we possibly can in the next two weeks. We'll be working with an experienced greyhound rescuer who has been placing retired greyhounds for many years. She will be going to the track and bringing us dogs. As soon as we have more room, we'll do it again. We will repeat as many times as we can before May 14th. After May 14th, there will be no dogs left alive at the track.

In order to save as many dogs as we can, we are going to try something we've never done before; sending as many as possible out into foster care by May 14th. Every time we send a dog into an adoptive home or a foster home, we can take another dog off the track. = We will take the fostered dogs back into the Dakin Animal Shelter for adoption over the next few months as spaces open up for them - as long = as they're off the track by May 14th, they'll be safe.

How can you help?

a.. Adopt a greyhound They're wonderful dogs - gentle, quiet, sweet, and graceful. The ones we'll be getting will be good companions with other dogs and with cats. Surprisingly, they're couch potatoes. They do need to be in a fenced area or leash walked; they aren't dogs to let run loose. For information on what it's like to take a greyhound home, visit www.greyhoundgang.com

b.. Foster a greyhound If we can send greys into foster care and out of our Shelter, we can pull more from the track before May 14. We'll get them back into the Shelter over the next few months. We will provide all their medical care and a crate to make their transition easier.
    You provide your time & love and together we will give them a new life! For information on what it's like to take a greyhound home, visit www.greyhoundgang.com

c.. Donate money. We are going to need extra funds to help these dogs.
    We'll be buying crates and other supplies as well as paying all their medical bills. You can send a check to: Dakin Animal Shelter, 163 Montague Road, Leverett MA 01054, or donate online.
    Please mark your donation "Save the Greys".

d.. Donate a large dog crate to send with the dogs going into foster care.
    e.. Spread the word! The more people who know about this tragedy, the more help the dogs will get. There are a lot of misconceptions about them.

a.. Greys are not hyper - they're actually couch potatoes!
    b.. They love to run - for about 5 minutes - in a safe, fenced area.
    c.. Greys spend most of their day snoozing and adore soft sleeping places and all the comforts in life.
    d.. They are actually very good dogs for apartments or small homes because of their low activity level.
    e.. They are very clean dogs, and in some ways are very catlike in their cleanliness and love of comfort.
    f.. Most greyhounds - including all the ones we'll be getting - can live with other dogs and cats, once they've been introduced, and actually love living with other animals.
    g.. They rarely bark and shed little.
    h.. In their life on the track, they live in crates for 22 hours per day, so most things in the 'real world' are a surprise to them.
    i.. They've never seen simple things such as: slippery floors (wood, tile); stairs; television; windows; cats; dogs who are not greyhounds!
    j.. They generally housebreak very easily because they're completely crate trained (they aren't housebroken because they've never been in a house, so they have to learn what a house is!).
    k.. They walk very, very politely on leash - they learn that at the track.
    Greyhounds are very good companions for homes with gentle children because of their own gentle nature.

This is a tragedy of enormous proportions, and we've decided to throw everything we've got into doing as much as we can. It's easy to get overwhelmed thinking about the scope of the problem - and do nothing. If we instead work together as a community, we CAN make a = difference. The Dakin Animal Shelter has always relied upon our community for our support, and we're counting on you now. With your help, we WILL make a difference.

Leigh Grady
    Executive Director
    Animal Shelter Inc. of Sterling
    17 Laurelwood Road, Sterling MA 01564
    978 422 8585 shelter, 978 563 1039 fax
    www.sterlingshelter.org
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Greys are so awesome. We are going to adopt one eventually. But we can't have any more animals now, not even to foster, even if we were closer.

As a former rescued greyhound owner, I can confirm the fabulousness of having one.

My Pearl was with me for 10.5 yrs... perfect apartment dog (Manhattan), perfect house dog (New England).

Hypo allerginic (hair not fur), no "doggie" odor, great jogging partner, phenomenal couch company for those quiet evenings at home.

I just added a photo of Pearl to my site... I was kinda missing her.

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Quote Originally Posted by spazzdog
    As a former rescued greyhound owner, I can confirm the fabulousness of having one.

My Pearl was with me for 10.5 yrs... perfect apartment dog (Manhattan), perfect house dog (New England).

Hypo allerginic (hair not fur), no "doggie" odor, great jogging partner, phenomenal couch company for those quiet evenings at home.

I just added a photo of Pearl to my site... I was kinda missing her.

spazz
    Oh, spazz, she was gorgeous! They're such regal, elegant dogs yet with such a sense of humor!

dogs, bikes, same subject

spazz,

What a great dog. Love that smile. I can personaly vote for adopting a rescue dog. They know they have been given a second chance and return the favor.
    Fancy Schmancy Custom Road bike ~ Mondonico Futura Legero
    Found on side of the road bike ~ Motobecane Mixte
    Gravel bike ~ Salsa Vaya
    Favorite bike ~ Soma Buena Vista mixte
    Folder ~ Brompton
    N+1 ~ My seat on the Rover recumbent tandem
    https://www.instagram.com/pugsley_adventuredog/

This situation is just heartbreaking. I wish they could outlaw using dogs this way.

Spazz, how many furry friends do you have at home right now? Pearlie was beautiful!

Quidditch - Aust. Cattle Dog
    Willie - Shih Tzu
    Fenway - Cocker
    Stormy - grey kitty
    Merlin - black kitty

Beans, the kitty in the compromising position with Stormy, went to kitty heaven last summer (he was old & sickly)

Amani, the min schnauzer, is a frequent houseguest and Quid's best buddy.

And of course, sweet Pearl. She stroked 11 days after the 911 tragedy...
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

I definitely agree that rescue animals seem to appreciate all the attention they can get from you....you'll never be taken for granted from them. We have a rescued Australian Cattle Dog mix and even if we go away for an hour she greets us like it's been a week. My mother always laughs at the way my little buddy sits next to me, puts her head on me, and looks up with such a completely lovey-dovey look in her eyes.

My sister-in-law, who's been a vet tech for over twenty years, said that without a doubt greyhounds are her favorite animal to have come into the office. They are always so calm and she's never met one who wasn't very friendly. Hopefully, all those wonderful animals will find families to take them in.