Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Trek fx 7.5 v 7.3

To disable ads, please log-in.

I've made a tough call, I am trading in my Trek Pilot 2.1 for a less expensive fx series bike. I'm a new rider and after riding the Pilot around and loving how smooth and fast it is, I am just not comfortable and I don't feel secure with the drop handles, especially going downhill. I think I tried to make myself like the drop handles because I was told these were more comfortable but at least for now, I prefer the flat bar handles and for my purposes (possibly a sprint triathlon next year and weekend hour or so long rides with friends).

If you have a trek fx series bike, I'd love to hear about it and what you like and don't like.

If anyone has any input between the real differences with the 7.5 v the 7.3, I'd love to hear that too.

Thank you!
    Diane

Two FX's in our house

I have a 7300fx (3-4 years old, before they changed the nomenclature) and we bought our 11 year old daughter a WSD 7.2fx this summer after her huge growth spurt. We both love our bikes, can't imagine needing anything more. I commute on mine and it hauls my panniers very well. Good luck.

I have a 7.6 FX and love it. It's just sooooo smooth on the road.

Sorry about your handlebar problem. I'll never go back to the dropped handlebars. I no longer bend very well into that position and forget trying to take a photograph on the fly in that position. I'm straight bar all the way.

As for the differences between the 7.3 and the 7.5, I couldn't get a good answer on that either even from an experienced lbs sales person. What he could tell me was that for each higher number some of the parts are better quality. A nebulous answer for a newbie. The only reason I bought the 7.6 was because it was on sale since it was the last year's model and was actually cheaper than buying the current year 7.5.

As for the differences in the quality of parts, you'll have to ask the components experts here.

I really can't think of anything I've found that I don't like about the 7.6. Well except for the fact that it came with a double rather than a triple and I REALLY needed the lower gears and had it switched to a triple. Having a triple on it now is a bit dicey. The lbs states that squeezing a triple where a double was is problematic and they can't get all three rings all perfectly adjusted at once. That was fine with me. I just asked them to favor adjusting the lower gears because I'd never be up on the third ring anyway.
    "The important thing is this: To be able at any moment to sacrifice what we are for what we might become." Charles Dubois

Thanks for the replies! After I looked at them both, it was actually cheaper for me to get the 7.5 for the same reason! It's a 2008!

I'm glad I'm not alone with my preference for flat handlebars, btw. =)

I really can't think of anything I've found that I don't like about the 7.6. Well except for the fact that it came with a double rather than a triple
    ???

I lovelovelove my FX 7.6 but mine came with a triple. It's a 2008

I work in a shop that sells Trek. When we send someone out to test ride both a 7.3 and a 7.5, they notice the difference and usually go for the 7.5 unless money is a big issue.
    Oil is good, grease is better.

2007 Peter Mooney w/S&S couplers/Terry Butterfly
    1993 Bridgestone MB-3/Avocet O2 Air 40W
    1980 Columbus Frame with 1970 Campy parts
    1954 Raleigh 3-speed/Brooks B72

I use the 7.3 for towpath rides, 7.6 for zippier rides. I love both bikes
    I'm just sad that they're made in China
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

I am using a 7.3 as my daily commuter. It's a triple. I love it. It does just what I need it to do. It's about 12 miles each way.
    2013 Specialized Myka FSR Comp
    2013 Specialized Ruby Sport (carbon)
    2014 Salsa Vaya 3 (steel)
    2014 Felt Z75

My Trek 7.6 was also a triple - it was a 2010 model (blue, possibly 2011). While it was too big for me, it was a nice bike.