Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Blue Ridge Parkway Epic Tour

To disable ads, please log-in.

Last week, beginning on Monday, I participated in my first-ever tour. We began near Waynesboro, Virginia at Mile Marker 0 on the Blue Ridge Parkway; we ended Friday in Cherokee, North Carolina after 474.5 miles, 49,660' of elevation gain, and I had 35 hours, 55 minutes in the saddle. Woohoo!

The tour was through Black Bear Adventures, and if anyone has a desire to challenge themselves, I definitely recommend this one. It was great, well supported, wonderful people.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    I've heard great things about both that ride, and that tour company. Did you camp out the whole time? Do you have any pictures that you'd like to share with us?
    Congrats on a HUGE accomplishment. I can't believe all the climbing. Wow! I'm sure every foot climbed was worth it for all the stunning beauty of the parkway.
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

Well, we had about 3-1/2 days of rain so I don't have as many pics as I'd like. I'm just starting to get pictures from some of the others on the tour, so I should have some to post tomorrow.

Because of the rain and fog, the views were muted, to say the least. But when we did get to see, it was awesome!

No, we did no camping! If my days were going to be so hard, my nights were going to be comfortable! With Black Bear Adventures, we were really catered to and they made sure we had good accommodations.

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I know that area and wish I had the ability to bike it. I'd love to see pictures; even in rain and fog, those mountains are lovely.

Pam

Yes! We need pictures!

Your tour sounds perfectly wonderful. I dream of stuff like this!
    Jane

Every human being must be viewed according to what it is good for; for none
    of us, no not one, is perfect; and were we to love none who had
    imperfections, this world would be a desert for our love.

--- Thomas Jefferson

I realize today that I must have been more tired than I thought yesterday because I really didn't tell much at all about the adventure, I merely said I did it.

Here was the breakdown by day:
    Monday 85.70 miles, 8910' in 6:23
    Tuesday 89.44 miles, 8286' in 6:36
    Wednesday 111.43 miles, 10,825' in 8:13
    Thursday 102.15 miles, 11,071' in 8:01
    Friday 85.78 miles, 10,568' in 6:40

Monday was gorgeous, perfect weather and a great way to start things off. Tuesday it rained most of the day but was fairly clear. Wednesday it rained all day and the fog was thick as soup! You couldn't see anything - we'd come to an overlook and see nothing but white. Thursday it rained until the afternoon, but then we had periods of clearing and got to enjoy some of the beautiful views. Friday started overcast, foggy and misty but got mostly clear so we ended in beautiful conditions as we descended into Cherokee.

I'm going to attach a couple pictures I took from my phone. They're not great quality, but I'll try to post some good ones from my fellow tourers later today. The first pic is Mile Marker 0 at the beginning of the Parkway. The second is atop Mt. Mitchell, the highest peak east of the Mississippi, with Scott from Illinois (the elevation marker says 6578'). The third is our view from the lunch stop on Friday. The final picture is me at the final marker on the Parkway, Mile Marker 469.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSPX0046.jpg 
Views:	424 
Size:	112.8 KB 
ID:	7122   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSPX0055.jpg 
Views:	418 
Size:	72.2 KB 
ID:	7123   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSPX0056.jpg 
Views:	420 
Size:	64.4 KB 
ID:	7124   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	SSPX0060.jpg 
Views:	413 
Size:	114.3 KB 
ID:	7125  

Here's a couple more...one is the group pic at the beginning (I'm in the middle), and the second is at the highest point of the Parkway, and you can see how foggy it was! And this was not the foggy day!

Name:	Epic group pic.JPG 
Views:	410 
Size:	61.3 KB 
ID:	7126   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Epic highest point.JPG 
Views:	405 
Size:	34.6 KB 
ID:	7127  

Here are some awesome views I just got from one of the guys who had a "real" camera.

Name:	rain.jpg 
Views:	378 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	7134   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	fog.jpg 
Views:	376 
Size:	39.1 KB 
ID:	7135   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view1.jpg 
Views:	395 
Size:	76.7 KB 
ID:	7136   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view2.jpg 
Views:	388 
Size:	63.5 KB 
ID:	7137   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	view3.jpg 
Views:	384 
Size:	90.8 KB 
ID:	7138  

Very beautiful! Hope to be able to go there sometime.
    Jane

Every human being must be viewed according to what it is good for; for none
    of us, no not one, is perfect; and were we to love none who had
    imperfections, this world would be a desert for our love.

--- Thomas Jefferson

Smile

Now that’s an EPIC adventure!! I am in awe and totally amazed at your accomplishment - and with rain no less!!! You Rock! I grew up in Virginia and spent lots of time on the Blue Ridge Parkway and have driven the entire length of it. I cannot imagine the thrill of cycling that much of it!! Beautiful pics too - you definately have something to be proud of!! And I am just trying to get a century under my belt - you rode that practically every day, and with some serious elevations - whoohoo!!
    “No Bird Soars Too High If He Soars With His Own Wings” ~ William Blake

Thanks! It really was incredible. I look at those numbers and I can't believe I did it, either.

But you know, my "cycling life" started back in 2003 training for a century with Team in Training, so there's no telling where your bicycle will take you if you keep at it.

This particular adventure came my way because my training partner is turning 50 next month and this was how he wanted to commemorate it. It sounded like something I'd like to try, so here we are.

where the wind comes sweeping down the plain
    Wow. Gorgeous scenery, even with all the rain and fog. Simply amazing!!! Congrats, again!!!!
    Check out my running blog: www.turtlepacing.blogspot.com

Cervelo P2C (tri bike)
    Bianchi Eros (commuter/touring road bike)

1983 Motobecane mixte (commuter/errand bike)
    Cannondale F5 mountain bike

What a wonderful way to celebrate a milestone with your training partner. Beauiful photos and what a ride. You rock!

"You can't get what you want till you know what you want." Joe Jackson

2006 Cannondale Feminine/Ultegra/Jett

2012 Trek Speed Concept 9.5/Ultegra/saddle TBD

Thanks everybody!

When I took my bike to the shop last week for a thorough cleaning after all the rain, the mechanic found that my fork was cracked. Can you believe it? I've only had it for 4 months and never rode in conditions that would explain that happening. It must have just been defective.

So after riding so much in 5 days, I haven't been able to ride since! I'm waiting for Trek to find a replacement fork that matches my paint job. I miss my pretty Madone!

Update

Trek has sent my replacement fork! Yea!!!