Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Yeeehaaa MTB fans!....

To disable ads, please log-in.

just pulled off cyclingnews.com

US National Park Service recognizes mountain biking

Mountain bike riders have long been barred from everything but the tarmac in most of the US' National Parks - even fire roads are generally off limits. However, according to MTB access body IMBA, that's about to change after the organisation signed a five-year agreement with the National Park Service in which the service recognizes mountain biking as a positive activity, compatible with the values of the National Park system.

The agreement has the potential to open hundreds of dirt roads in National Park areas that have been closed to cycling. While National Park Service rules require a lengthy process to open singletrack to bicycle use, appropriate dirt roads may be opened with a more straightforward administrative process.

"This agreement represents a true breakthrough for mountain biking," said IMBA Executive Director Mike Van Abel. "It opens the door for individual park units to partner with mountain bikers and investigate new riding opportunities on a case-by-case basis."

As part of the agreement, IMBA and the Park Service will initially partner on two pilot projects to be selected later this year. The projects will bring mountain bikers and park officials together for on-the-ground teamwork and serve as models for future collaboration.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

cheers for IMBA, nay for Boulder

i had read this as well. So excited about the turnaround!! If anyone cares about the future of biking, they should become a member of IMBA. The organization is bringing about change in a positive way.

Weird story...

A few weeks ago, i had gone bike riding in Boulder, Co. Not sure about the local trails, i went into the local bike shop to inquire about where to go. the guy told me that on certain days, certain trails are closed to mountain bikers. Apparently, the access issues were brought about by the local equestrians. Now, there are always 2 sides to a story, and i don't have all the facts. It's just scary to think that access is being lost. As mountain bikers we need to act in a responsible manner and be respectful of others. We have a bad name for whatever reason and hopefully we can turn that around.

The press release you spoke of is a HUGE step in the right direction. Let's not screw it up!

That's good news! If mountain bikers use good judgement on the trails, follow the rules, etc., people will see that we will not harm the environment and can share the trails responsibly. And that may open even more trails to us. Things are looking up!

Just use basic consideration. A bike won't/can't "spook" at the site of a horse, whereas a horse may well spook and hurt itself, it's rider and maybe you.

If you see/hear an equestrian, just stop and pull off the trail for bit until they pass... and be friendly to the rider. It'll go far to improving the relations between the two "riding" communities.
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

I pull off, talk to the horse and if it's a little freaky I'll take off my helmet too. To pass a horse and rider I let them know I'm coming up, give them a chance to get off the trail and offer to walk past if they want me to. I don't want to be responsible for a horse, rider or both getting hurt and it's only a minor inconvienence. Sometimes a rider asks if the horse can check me out and I'm fine with that too.

Nantanhalla (sp?) also has alternate days for horse/mtb use. They have horses on one trail while mtb use the other so both can use trails the same day and still be separate.
    I used to have an open mind but my brains kept falling out.

TE grrls are good-doobies

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

Horse people tell me it's hearing your voice ( as in, Hello Horsie) that makes the difference.

Logging roads are fine, when are they going to let us on the singletrack?
    I heard that when it first came out on an IMBA press release maybe about 6 weeks ago? It has yet to be implemented tho.

The horse lobbies have gotten the upper hand in a few trail systems, including Boulder and Nor Cal.

irulan
    2015 Liv Intrigue 2
    Pro Mongoose Titanium Singlespeed
    2012 Trek Madone 4.6 Compact SRAM