Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

My first century

To disable ads, please log-in.

I had to take the time last night to thank everyone here for all the tips and support that allowed and encouraged me to try my first century, but I was too tired to give a ride report. Thanks for all the wonderful responses to my thank you!

So I've been trying to do my first century since May 21 and finally the weather and my schedule worked out that I was able to try it yesterday! I had mapped a route out earlier but decided Sun to drive the route and A) make sure it was 100 miles and B) it would work on a bike. (guess that's one of the differences between men and women eh?!) The route looked good but when I got home I was 14 miles short so I figured out where I could pick those up while enroute.

9:00 AM Mon morning, my camelback is loaded with 100 oz of water, 2 spare water bottles and extra food, and the cell phone. The seat pack is loaded with tools, tire levers, spare tube, ID, insurance card, credit card, and money. Oh..and the garage door opener. My jersey pockets are loaded with food, gels and maps and I'm off. Just as a footnote, no matter what tools you're carrying, they're probably Not the ones you need on the road. The first 25 miles the Peugeot just did NOT want to shift into 1st or 2nd gear and I didn't have a phillips head screwdriver (or a dime) to make the adjustment. I guess after calling him some pretty foul names (ok...there IS an advantage to riding alone) he must've decided he needed to get his shift together and he worked fine after that. I picked a route that would leave me close enough to home that someone could come get me if they had to, but was far enough out of the city that I couldn't chicken out if I got too tired! The roads were state highways with some really nice, fairly clean shoulders for the most part and 98% of the drivers couldn't seem to care less that I was out there. Got some yells and honks and 1 guy decided he needed to push my line, but those were the only nasty moments.
    I hadn't planned on stopping although I had scouted out quickie-marts just in case but I started having issues with my feet of all things. About 40+ miles into the ride the cleats were pressing into the ball of my feet and causing me intense pain in my feet and toes!! My first stop I took the shoes off, massaged my feet and moved my cleats. I made it about 20 miles give or take and had issues again with only 1 foot this time. I stopped a second time and same thing, took off my shoes, massaged my feet and moved the cleats. This time I made it about 20 miles and again had problems. I'm thinking the problems may actually be from the saddle/shorts instead of the shoes. I'm guessing I'm balancing heavily on my feet to take the weight off my sensitive parts. Of course, it could also be from the MTB'ng I did Sat and the pretty aggresive climbing we did that day! There were also storm clouds moving a way ahead of me with lightening and thunder and all I could think of was: please don't hail....hail hurts! Of course God, rain isn't all that pleasant when you're on a bike and tired but I'll take the rain if you just hold off on the hail! (ok....like God is gonna make deals with me regarding the weather! )
    Anyway, I got back on the bike after stop #3 and continued on my way. I picked up the bike trail in the hopes it would catch my missing 14 miles and the storm moved off so all I got were some big fat raindrops and muddy, wet trails. When the sun came out, the humidity went up which caused me some breathing issues but by then I was playing the "you're only 16 miles from home...you are NOT going to quit now" game.
    There were 3 big climbs coming near the end plus the 6 mile climb to get me home (welcome to Albuquerque) but I started to really wear out. The advantage/disadvantage of being self-supported: if you want to quit, ya gotta call someone to come get ya. So, I decided to just tough it out and within the next 10 miles, I was feeling perky again. I was feeling good enough that I was wondering if I could ride 110 or 125 miles (ok.....intelligence at the end of 100 mile ride isn't in great store!).
    As I came close to home, I checked one last time and I was still going to be about 4 miles short! Welllllll we can't have that....not after I worked so hard - so I tooled around the neighbourhood (thinking of V's story about riding circles around the parking lot to pick up miles) until I got the 100 miles I needed. I have since found an offshoot to my route that would get me those 4 miles so I'll just have to try this again.
    Things I've learned while riding a century:
    Yes, one CAN learn to launch snot rockets. My first few launches weren't very successful but it was either that or not breathe especially while trying to eat so I opted to learn how to launch and keep breathing. By the end of the ride, I was launching rockets like a NASA flight engineer.
    One can do a century solo, and I would do it again, but there were miles when it would've been nice to have someone to talk to, help motivate me, Draft off of!, and just help pass the miles.
    It's better to be prepared and Not need it, than need it and not have it. I hoped to complete the ride in 7 hrs, I figured it would be closer to 8 and I carried enough food and water for 10. of course, by the end of the ride the thought of another gel pack or energy bar almost gagged me, but they sustained me during the whole ride. Next time - I might carry a PB-J tortilla or two just to break the monotony of gel packs and energy bars.
    You learn who you are on a solo century.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand, strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming: "Yeah Baby! What a Ride!"

Good report Corsair! And nice job on the ride... Need to get you some fine cowgrrl saddlebags for all your gear!

spazz
    no regrets!

My ride: 2003 Specialized Allez Comp - zebra (men's 52cm), Speedplay X5 pedals, Koobi Au Enduro saddle

Spazzdog Ink Gallery
    http://www.printroom.com/pro/gratcliff

As someone hoping to complete a century by the end of the Summer, I must say that I admire and am very impressed that you organized, supported, and rode your OWN century. Solo. The idea of such a thing is still foreign to me but I must admit that possibly one day ...

Congratulations!! Way to go!
    "A bicycle ride is a flight from sadness."--James E. Starrs, The Literary Cyclist

Yipee, Corsair!!! You lived to tell the tale!! Thanks for sharing all your hints/thoughts.

Oh, here's the ride report!

Re shoes- you might look into Superfeet from REI- insoles for your shoes with an arch support. Also sounds like your metatarsol arch is the source of your pain. I have metarsal arch buttons that I use in my shoes in addition to my superfeet insoles. Can ride a very long time.....no feet issues this year.

What you have done by riding that distance is discover what your body needs when you spend more time in the saddle. You'll also learn about drinking and eating, electrolyte replacement, shoe fit, how the bike works over long distances, etc.

Re shoes- I have carbon sole shoes as they are stiff and can support my feet for a long time. I also can generate more power hence ride with less effort. Spinning becomes an essential technique for long distance riding.

Great job! To me, every century is a lesson learned. Welcome to the club!
    Nancy

Great job!! I am so impressed that you rode your own century! I still have not commited to my date yet.....before fall for sure, yeah that's the ticket.

Talking Woo-hoo

Cheers to you! (toasting with champaign & strawberries)
    I am inspired & motivated to say the least! Congratulations!!

This is exactly why I read this forum...so glad to have found such a great group of
    go-getters!

Way to go Corsair... this is still on my list of things to do - both a metric century and an 'imperial' one.
    Thanks for providing us with inspiration

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Way to go! Really fun to hear about, and really inspiring!! Thanks so much for telling the tale!