Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

To disable ads, please log-in.

Quote Originally Posted by sundial View Post
    I've got it too. I wasn't trying to be flippant about it.
    No, no, I didn't think you were. It's totally natural for people to make suggestions of possible remedies, so I do think that every recommendation in this thread has been made with thoughtful and caring intentions. It's doubly natural for someone who's had similar experiences and found something that works for them to then pass that info on. But there are so many different degrees of severity and variations in symptom to these things. I was just making the point (less diplomatically than I should have, I guess) that, for some of us, the hardest thing is finding the will to force ourselves to do any sort of activity, whether the weather sucks or not.
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Yay for the solstice...
    "How about if we all just try to follow these very simple rules of the road? Drive like the person ahead on the bike is your son/daughter. Ride like the cars are ambulances carrying your loved ones to the emergency room. This should cover everything, unless you are a complete sociopath."
    David Desautels, in a letter to velonews.com

Random babblings and some stuff to look at.

Double yay for the solstice! Tokie

Past the solstice. Outside, it's 19 degrees with a windchill of 3.

Relax!

Quote Originally Posted by Kalidurga View Post
    That's it exactly. It's very easy to recommend that someone with SADD just go spend some time outside
    I'm also a SADD sufferer, and I've read up a lot on the problem. It may seem like a simple answer, but being outside on a gloomy/rainy day actually nets you more lumens than being indoors by a lamp. An overcast day is about 1,000 lumens; the average lamp is about 100. Even 10 minutes of outdoor light can improve your mood. This does seem to be a particularly bad year, tho, because it's been so cold!

I personally use a Verilux light, especially on overcast days. I found a 10,000 lumen light on Amazon for only $130 (with a sale); they also have 5,000 lumen lights for less than $100. The difference is the amount of time it takes to get the benefit. With a 5,000 lumen light you might need to spend several hours using it; with a 10,000 lumen light 30 to 90 minutes will do the trick. Contrary to what you see on tv, you don't sit staring into it or (worse still) sit in front of it with your eyes closed. You can read, do your makeup, eat breakfast, etc. The only limit is that you don't want to use it too late at night because it will throw off your circadian rhythms and you'll wind up with insomnia. I like to use it in my bathroom while I get ready for work in the morning, because the light bouncing off the mirrors amplifies the effect.

I've found a combination of vitamins and calcium helps a lot, too, especially D3, B-50 and folic acid. (All of which you'll find in a good multivitamin.) Hope this helps.

Hi folks - I've just been reading up on this thread and one thing really impresses me. Many of you know what this is, can see it coming, and DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT. That is really inspiring. I don't feel as bad every winter, but I don't like Christmas or the holidays much for a multitude of reasons, the main ones being that all the things that keep me sane and happy are taken away for two weeks at a time - regular routine, regular exercise, healthy food, my friends, interacting with normal upbeat adults all day long. I know I "should" just enjoy my family and the time off, but I enjoy doing things outdoors and going places with my close family, not running around shopping frantically and then eating vast amounts of food and sweets with my extended family, and staying indoors for hours and hours and HOURS. Going outdoors doesn't help much, because Oslo in December is usually dark, very dark, wet or icy. We have maybe 4 or 5 hours of daylight.

Sorry for the rant , cause I'm back at work and much better, but anyway: the stress of the holidays can really get to me and did this year, plunging me into a pathetic, black, selfpitying, morose mood for several days. And I just can't see it coming in time to kick myself up and go get a lamp, or go away for Christmas or something. This time I've vowed not to be home on Christmas at all next year, and I really hope I can keep that.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Right now I am sitting in front of my new broad-spectrum lamp for 30 minutes befor leaving for work. I'll sit in front of it for at least another 30 minutes when I get home. I've been doing this for 10 days now and it is nothing short of a miracle. I really didn't think it would provide such instant relief. The lamp was very pricey (over $200). I can't say whether I would have gotten FSA reimbursement for it (with drs. prescription), as I'd already maxed out that money for 2008. I just couldn't hold off 'til 2009 to purchase it as my SAD symptoms were causing me to rapidly deteriorate. I feel like a new person!