Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Very Old Ride Report from Scared First Timer!

To disable ads, please log-in.

Hi Guys - I don't know if anyone remembers me but back around August 23rd I posted here quite 'terrified' to do my first Century with Team in Training. Several people asked me to let them know how it went and with the ride, work, and some personal stuff I am just now getting to write.

I could write volumes on the event. It was all so new to me. I've never done anything like this before. I am 50+ pounds overweight - never participated in a sport before - and really signed up to see if I could raise the money and if I had it in me to actually ride 100 miles. I've always felt like such a lazy slob. Training with Team in Training all summer was great but I kept hearing it would change my life, but I never felt it ... until the event!

I did the Mad River Valley Century up in Vermont and it was just incredible. I didn't get the boost I thought I would on the day from all the excitement - but it was really fun to do the ride with the team and to be there and have the culmination of all my training finally happen. I did great the first 50 - felt really good - was averaging around 14mph - sticking strictly to GU - the course was beautiful - the weather was perfect. It was just great. The stops were well stocked but set up at 20, 60, and 80 which was not great because even I didn't need the 20 mile stop but was out of water and really needed a stop around 40. Anyway ... when I pulled out of the 60 mile stop I started to feel a bit sick but still felt good and had plenty of energy.

By mile 75, my stomach was SHOT - I felt like I was going to throw up - nothing new for me as I had been battling this all season. But the GU did help. At the mile 80 stop I really lost it - mostly because my sister and brother-in-law were there and so incredible to me that day that I felt overwhelmed by their presence and I think having them there with me made it easier for me to break down a bit. But I rode out - and did the final 23 miles - VERY slow. Second 1/2 of the ride I averaged 12 mph. I felt really sick and emotional those last 20 - walked my bike up three hills in the 'Granville Gulf' - but riding those last 2 miles with my coach and mentors was so incredible - so awesome - so emotional. I was sobbing I was so happy it was over and I had actually done it. Most of team was waiting for me, even though they had been in for almost 2 hours. Cheering, clapping, some were crying. They were all over me the minute I pulled in. It was incredible!

It took me 9 hours 47 minutes (including stops) but it was worth every single moment this past summer, and it has been a really hard Summer at times. TOTALLY changed my life! Just got my tattoo today '103' in roman numerals on the inside of my ankle - 103 miles that really proved to me what I am capable of.

I haven't been back on my bike - mostly out of schedule and laziness - but I think I'm doing 50 miles of the Seacoast Century in NH with some team members next weekend. I hear its pretty flat and most think I should be fine to ride 50!

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement. I don't know if I'm 'hooked' and if cycling will become a major part of my life - but I do know it changed it.
    Last edited by gabriellesca; 09-11-2008 at 03:03 PM.

Riding my Luna & Rivendell in the Hudson Valley, NY
    I am awed. That's an amazing saga!
    CONGRATULATIONS for an incredible job!!!!

Hey your blog account with the photos is wonderful.
    Last edited by BleeckerSt_Girl; 09-11-2008 at 04:39 PM.
    Lisa
    My mountain dulcimer network...FOTMD.com...and my mountain dulcimer blog
    My personal blog:My blog
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Thanks BSG ... My blog is far more intense and I go on and on ... but it really was a life-changing event for me and I can't help but want to write about it. The pics on my blog show how crazy emotional it was for me:

www.gabriellesca.blogspot.com

Congratulations. Riding a bike has freed me in so ways. I tend to get down on myself a lot, but when I ride my bike, I feel 'accomplished'. I am glad you made it for the people your rode for and especially for yourself.

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay
    That is awesome! I've been riding for 25+ years, raced in college, think of myself as a pretty good cyclist...BUT I've only once ridden a century when I was 19 (which was a long time ago). You have done a difficult and great thing!

Congratulations!

Good for you! You are an inspiration.

Gabriellesca, that is so wonderful! Thanks for letting us know--we were wondering how it all went. You should be incredibly proud of yourself.
    "My predominant feeling is one of gratitude. I have loved and been loved;I have been given much and I have given something in return...Above all, I have been a sentient being, a thinking animal, on this beautiful planet, and that in itself has been an enormous privilege and an adventure." O. Sacks

YEAH!!!! I had tears in my eyes reading your post! I remember reading the first post and hearing how you were going from scared to excited to ride the century. I was cheering you on on race day. I am sooo glad you posted your report! How absolutely wonderful!!!! What a ride! And oh man, I'm so happy your team pulled through for you! Great job at finishing even though you felt sick. I love the tatoo! I hope you look at that every time you start to feel down - you're a fabulous woman who can accomplish anything she sets out to do. You've proven that beyond a doubt.
    Christine
    Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Cycle! It's Good for the Wattle; it's good for the can!

That is one inspiring story Gabrielle. Congratulations!!
    Trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Quote Originally Posted by tulip View Post
    You have done a difficult and great thing!

Congratulations!
    Amen to that. There are many of us here who've never done such a thing. You're truly an inspiration.

now get back on your bike
    2008 Trek FX 7.2/Terry Cite X
    2009 Jamis Aurora/Brooks B-68
    2010 Trek FX 7.6 WSD/stock bontrager

excuse me, a 10 hour century is GREAT! congratulations!!
    sounds to me like maybe you just started too fast? You really did a long hard ride. I'm very impressed.
    Last edited by mimitabby; 09-11-2008 at 06:02 PM.
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

i just want to add congrats for just getting out and getting on the bike and starting the process! i read the blog and also had tears, how exciting for you! that's great, you are indeed an inspiration. thanks for having the honesty and guts to take us through everything you were feeling throughout.
    laurie

Brand New Orbea Diva | Pink | Specialized Ruby
    2005 Trek Madone Road | Pink | Ruby
    1998 Trek 5200 Road | Blue | Specialized Jett
    ???? Litespeed Catalyst Road | Silver | Terry Firefly

Fantastic! Congratulations!

Wooo - amazing! Well done!
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Smile

You are awesome!! Thank you so much for telling your story - I am totally inspired by you and can’t wait until I get a century under my belt! I enjoyed looking at your blog too - great stats. You did an incredible job and I am so happy that you had such awesome support!!
    “No Bird Soars Too High If He Soars With His Own Wings” ~ William Blake