Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

It was still pretty chilly this spring when I started commuting and since I was still trying out the commuting thing, I just dove in the closet for things I had from other sports. Every now and then I'm sampling a new activity, so I like to have things that will work in multiple situations.

A base layer + lightweight fleece + a light rain shell was enought to keep me warm, although I was often a bit moist by the time I got to the office. For visibility, I wear a screaming yellow PI vest. My rain shell sticks out all funny under the vest, since it's not as fitted, but it gets the job done. Since I don't know whether I'll like winter commuting, I'll probably keep using this ensemble until I know how committed I am to it.

I figure I'll have to reach a certain level of discomfort with the weather and my current gear to know what I'll need or what will work for me.

Good luck with the schedule constraints!

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    This year our schedule changed somewhat and she is actually riding some with me. As they get older, they can do that. It's cool!

The girls do ride with me, but not for commuting. They both got new bikes this year. The 13 year old got an XXXS Giant FCR2, that is a really nice and lightweight bike with 650c wheels. (Actually so nice, I'm kinda jealous!) Got a great deal on an unused 2006 model on ebay. MSRP is $700 and I think I got it for $300 including shipping. My 11 year old was harder. She is so little (her new school jeans are size 7 Slim!!) that it is tough to fit her in a decent bike. LBS put her on a Gary Fisher and because of the frame geometry was able to get her on a bike with 24" wheels with decent gearing for the first time. It was also the lightest kid's mountain bike they had, although still not as light as I would have liked. There was nothing available that did not have at least front suspension, which we really don't need. She's still a long way from being tall enough to ride something like the Trek KDR1000. Her inseam is so short that the seat on this Gary Fisher is actually no higher than the top of the back tire. But what a difference that bike made for her! Up to then, her longest ride had been about 5 miles and whining most of the way. Our first time out with her new bike, she did 15 miles and not a peep out of her! She only weighs about 54 pounds and that old bike must have weighed close to 40 - can you imagine how hard that must have been!!

Tomorrow night the girls and I plan to ride in our LBS' annual moonlight ride - it's about 12-15 miles, mostly on the bike path, with food and live music on the parking lot after the ride. (Helmets and lights required!). I hope this infernal rain lets up.

Quote Originally Posted by indigoiis View Post
    And all of my winter equipment was purchased at the Salvation Army thriftstore, and includes long socks with holes cut in the bottom (for armwarmers), an old wool sweater, a goretex jacket, a wool hat, and warm up pants to wear over bike shorts and under-armor (scored some at the SA thrift store - whoo hoo!)
    Wow, that is awesome!! I have visited both Goodwill and Salvation Army this week - waded through hundreds (maybe thousands??) of sweaters, many of which were, well, just icky, but found very little wool and didn't buy anything. I need some education here - is any kind of wool ok, or only merino wool? I did find some lambswool, but it seemed awfully heavy and scratchy. And I saw some things that were wool blends, but wasn't sure about that either. What about cashmere? 100% silk?

Thanks to all of you for the help and encouragement. I think I initially felt like I needed to justify the expenses by an offset of savings, but I realize it is just a good thing to do for many different reasons, whether there is a cost savings or not. I'm sure that those of you with kids will understand this - whenever there is a little $$ left over at the end of the month, it is so hard to spend that on myself. If we were a 2 income family, things would be a lot different for my kids, and I feel guilty about that sometimes. Being a single parent was something I chose to do and they would undoubtedly choose to have a dad if that were an option. Had I not made the choice I did, however, they could still be in orphanages halfway around the world, and I need to remember that when I get the guilties over what they don't have now.

I only manage to commute by bike just one or two days a week. Like you, it's schedule restraints that are the problem--in the summer I drive my DD to and from summer camp every day; in the school year I have after-school activities to get the kids to and meetings mid-day that I have to drive to, and two days a week are just impossible because my husband gets home from work at 8 a.m. and I have to be at work, 13 miles away, at 8:30. I wish I could commute more, but I try not to get too worked up about my limitations. These are the crazy years of my life, and it'll get better over time. When the colder weather hits, I'm going to try not to spend too much on expensive gear. I have a decent jacket, and I can layer that over some shirts and sweaters I already have. I'll need a hat to wear under my helmet, and something to keep my feet warm--I'm going to start with just wool socks there and see how I do. My biggest expense is going to be lights for my bike, but I think that's worth the investment.

One thing you might want to look into for getting your girls to soccer practice is carpooling. Carpooling is back in style--last year none of the kids in my daughter's Girl Scout troop carpooled, and this year *everyone* is in a carpool! I like it because there are fewer parents jamming the room at pickup. If you can find someone to take the girls to practice, then you can be the one to bring them home, so you'd have time to bike home from work then pick up the car to go the (presumably) shorter distance to practice.

Good luck!

Sarah

Look for alpaca as well. I found a second hand one for around ten bucks at a consignment shop.

I run my hand along the sweaters, disregarding color or style. If my hand hits a soft and natural feeling knit, I pull it out and check the tag. If I am lucky, I will have found something lambswool, in my size.

I went down the long sleeved shirt aisle running my hand as well. When my hand hit on something that felt microfiber, I pulled it out and it was an under armour top (retails for around 28/30 bucks.) Three dollars.

Bottoms are harder. But if you look, they are there. If your local goodwill stinks, go to a city goodwill - better selection and generally better clothes. Also, check your local consignment stores. Often they have seasonal sales to clear space for the new season's consignments. You can get really good deals on gently used name brands.

I can't even set foot in a department store anymore. I'm second-hand spoiled.

Be creative.

Think high-vis.
    Think comfort / fit. Know what you like., brand wise, and quality wise.
    If you see a really good deal, like, an ugly (but nice under layer) top for 50cents, grab it. Try it. If you hate it, donate it back.

I found a pair of frye boots recently for ten dollars.
    This is the kind of deal that is so ridiculously good there oughta be a law.

I envy the messanger bag dudes around here. They go around with second hand old men's pants cut up at the knee, t-shirts, and bandannas. They look so incredibly hip and devil-may-care. I emulate that. It's cool to buy second hand. Plus, it's hard earned money saved.
    I can do five more miles.

I've had good luck at thrift shops. I think a lot of people buy gear and then lose interest in the sport they bought it for. I've found rain pants -- even a like-new pair of Arc'Teryx. You can always find fleece jackets, and fleece doesn't have to be expensive to keep you warm.

You don't necessarily need high-end clothing -- Ultrex instead of Gore-tex, for example. I've also gotten silkweight Patagonia Capilene on Ebay (Ebay is less time-consuming than thrift shops). Campmor's web site occasionally has great deals, too.

If you sew at all, fleece is easy to work with. Another idea is asking for your outdoor clothing at gift-giving times. I did this a lot as my mom got older and less inclined to go shopping and we both enjoyed it.

Take my advice with a grain of salt since I haven't bought bike-specific clothing. But I do stay toasty warm and dry camping, hiking and scootering in my thrift shop gear.

Pam

You can also sometimes find really good deals at

www.rei.com/outlet

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay

Quote Originally Posted by GeoCam View Post
    Now that it is cooling off enough to negate the shower issue, I have time issues. I am a single mom and have to drive to school twice each morning (one girl goes to volleyball practice at 6:00 a.m.; the other must be to school around 7:30). Even though it is possible to go back home and get on the bike at that point, I need to have the car at the end of the day because the girls must be at soccer practice by 5:00 four nights a week. I already need to leave work early to make that happen even when I'm driving.

This is exactly why I am only a very part-time commuter.
    We live a long way out of town and have to get the kids into school. Although they are keen cyclists too, to bike to/from school is impractical because it would take so long and they have very heavy bags.
    So somedays I drive them to school and leave the car in town and bike home to work/have a day off... and then my partner bikes in in the afternoon to collect the car and kids.
    On days I work in town, we can do the same kind've thing sometimes.
    The only days I can truly commute are in the school holidays - it takes me about 50minutes to get there and over an hour to get home (uphill all the way).
    It is frustrating, but don't wish your children older so that schedules can be easier. I find myself doing this sometimes, and then I remember how quickly it seems that my two eldest have reached adult-hood (one left home last year, the second just 4 months ago) and I don't want time to speed up at all.
    Last edited by RoadRaven; 09-14-2008 at 10:15 AM.

Courage does not always roar. Sometimes, it is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying,
    "I will try again tomorrow".

Lots of great ideas and advice - I appreciate it greatly. I needed to think outside the box, and your suggestions have given me some direction.

Thank you!