Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

Commuting - gas savings vs. startup costs

I am very new to commuting and have only done it a few times so far. Like many others, I am trying to deal with all my "barriers." I did buy a rack, a trunk bag and some pannier bags.

I couldn't bring myself to commute during the summer because I have no access to a shower. I know some people just "wash up" in the bathroom, but that just didn't seem like a feasible solution for me. It is very hot and humid in the summer where I live and Me + sweaty hair = NOT pretty!!.

Now that it is cooling off enough to negate the shower issue, I have time issues. I am a single mom and have to drive to school twice each morning (one girl goes to volleyball practice at 6:00 a.m.; the other must be to school around 7:30). Even though it is possible to go back home and get on the bike at that point, I need to have the car at the end of the day because the girls must be at soccer practice by 5:00 four nights a week. I already need to leave work early to make that happen even when I'm driving.

By the time the soccer schedule eases up, it is going to be getting pretty cold. I don't have the right gear for cold weather commuting, and I am really a cold wienie. So now I am looking at needing to purchase some or all of the following: arm warmers, tights, wind/waterproof shell, jacket, layering shirts, gloves, toe covers or booties - probably even new shoes since I just wear mesh running shoes, cycling beanie, and maybe a buff or balaclava. This adds up to a lot of dough, and money is pretty tight for me. Even with gas prices today, it would take a heck of a long time for commuting to actually add up to a cost savings for me.

Am I right or am I just creating a new barrier because I am not committed enough? I really don't know. I just know that I feel discouraged about the whole prospect. "I think I'll ride my bike to work" sounds so much simpler than it really is. I do feel really good (physically and about myself) when I manage to actually do the commute, but right now I am very hung up on not having the things I need.

Did any of you go through this at the beginning?

I went through a similar thing with cold weather riding. I thought I needed all this stuff, and then once I got into it, I realized my favorite warm thing was and old turtleneck sweater I had with a moth hole in it.

I say give it a try before you go out and buy a whole bunch of new stuff. I think it's better to buy things as the need arises, not by speculating what you'll need. I definitely wouldn't have bought the armwarmers I spent too much on, or the full-finger gloves. I find I prefer my regular bike gloves with those $1-$2 stretchy knit gloves over them.

It sounds like you have a lot of time constraints. If commuting doesn't end up working out, you don't want to feel like you wasted a lot of money on it.
    Last edited by redrhodie; 09-10-2008 at 07:54 AM.

For us we are only saving $50 a week and we did buy new bikes, so right now we are in the red. The plus for us is it FORCES us to work out. Plus we have extended the oil changes out to time limit vs. mileage so we are saving some money there. But it is still hard to get ourselves to do it. We scrapped riding to work and now do a hybrid commute:

-If it is DH's day he comes with me to work and rides the 7 miles to his work. He then rides the 28 miles home in the evening.
    -My Day he drops me off at work and I ride the 27 miles home in the evening.

I loved the energy from riding to work but I didn't like getting up early, the stress of "what if I have a mechanical, etc" or the baby wipe bath. So this is a great compromise and still means we only drive the truck one day. With my husband driving a large pick up we need to be doing something and biking home is more fun than pure carpooling.

I wouldn't beat yourself up, commuting doesn't work for everyone. It sounds like you would have to make a lot of sacrifices to do it and honestly I wouldn't make that many myself. On the clothes, you can use them other times but it is still a large expense. Although you can find technical clothes at Walmart for shirts, etc. Maybe you can just do it on the days the kids aren't going to school?
    Amanda

2011 Specialized Epic Comp 29er | Specialized Phenom | "Marie Laveau"
    2007 Cannondale Synapse Carbon Road | Selle Italia Lady Gel Flow | "Miranda"

You don't have to be great to get started, but you do have to get started to be great. -Lee J. Colan

Ditto what others have said - you have a lot going on. Don't be to hard on yourself.

As far as the cycling stuff - I'd hit goodwill or a thrift store. You can get long sleeved wool sweaters which will work really well for your top (maybe pick up a wicking base layer at a discount store). No rule says you have to wear tights over your shorts. There are people who wear sweatpants (even though they are cotton usually) with no ill effects.

What kind of winter temps are you dealing with?
    Most days in life don't stand out, But life's about those days that will...

I was going to say some of the same things everyone else is saying.

On the clothing - my H wears just regular clothes. Sweaters, sweatpants, wool socks, a hat under his helmet. The only cycling specific things he's bought are a neck gaiter thing (because he's a cold weenie), a nice water proof jacket/shell, and good gloves. The rest of his stuff is from discount stores or our own wardrobes.

I, on the other hand, do better with cycling specific clothing. Over the years, I've built up my wardrobe to be full of the things I actually wear. I have probably a ton of things I've tried and never gotten into (like arm warmers - I hate them). Luckily for me, I don't get cold easily (or I can take cold temps in stride), so I was able to 'make do' until I could get the gear that is just right for me. Of course, now that we've moved to a new climate, all bets are off and I'm going to have to go through the 'figure it out' process all over again!

Anyway, my point is that if you can make it work for you, then do it. If not, then don't beat yourself up over it.

I like to commute not for the gas savings but to avoid putting the miles on my car (we are trying to sell it and every day I drive is another 40 miles on it!) and to get in my workout. I have to get up a full 3.5 hours before I have to be at work in order to make it happen (I have farm chores that need to be done before work). Some days, it just doesn't happen. I used to feel like I needed excuses...now I'm just living with it. Sue me.
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

It sounds like your schedule is your biggest barrier. Maybe you can ask around with some of the other moms and possibly take turns picking up and dropping off? Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by CA_in_NC View Post
    As far as the cycling stuff - I'd hit goodwill or a thrift store. You can get long sleeved wool sweaters which will work really well for your top (maybe pick up a wicking base layer at a discount store). No rule says you have to wear tights over your shorts. There are people who wear sweatpants (even though they are cotton usually) with no ill effects.

What kind of winter temps are you dealing with?

This is funny because I actually thought about going to goodwill after I drop the girls at soccer practice today.

I hear what you are all saying. I don't think everything needs to be new or purchased from a bike shop but I don't already own much stuff that can be used. All of my coats are too heavy and nearly all of my sweaters and fleece stuff is cotton. The only thing worse than being cold is being cold AND wet!! It will be kinda fun to see if I can score some wool or polartec at the thrift shop.

On my commute yesterday, I actually wore the same clothes I was going to wear the rest of the day - black stretch twill pants and a nice short sleeve cotton shirt. I thought I would be fine riding without cycling shorts for my 6.5 mile ride (one way). And I was ok, but it would have been better with some padding. I will change that in the future! I did wear a thin, black "long underwear" type long sleeve shirt underneath to cover my arms for the ride - it was in the low 50's. This was no special fabric - I think it came from Walmart - but it worked fine. It was a good thing I had read lots of advice here before, or I surely would have overdressed. It was pretty nippy (to cold-weenie me) when I started, but I was sweating a bit by the time I got to work. Believe it or not, at this time last year, I would have never thought I would even be riding in 50 degree weather. Thinking that I "need" good, cycling-specific stuff probably stems from a deep fear that I will get half-way through the ride and be horribly cold and miserable with no choice but to push on. (Did I mention I don't like to be cold?)

I know cycling jackets are expensive, but I definitely need to find some kind of jacket that stops the wind. I see things called "shells" and others called "jackets." I get what shells are - is that all I need if have plenty of layers underneath? Do the really expensive jackets have some kind of lining or filling that makes them warmer, or are they just made out of more technical fabric that cuts the wind better? Who knows, I may even find some kind of jacket at the thrift shop. At this point, I don't care at all about the fashion aspect.

I looked up average high and low temps for my area. October: 68/44; November: 54/32; December: 40/21. Even colder in January, then Feb. about like December, March is like November, etc. The warmest and coldest times of the day line up fairly well with evening and morning commute times. I really can't see myself riding if it is below freezing, no matter how good my gear, but never say never, I guess. I would certainly like to try to do some riding with temps around 40, though. I would really be proud of myself - I am SO not a cold-weather person!

Thanks for the encouraging words. I really needed a bit of an attitude adjustment, and it is working!

Western Canada-prairies, mountain & ocean
    Just buy warm cycling things whenever you have money, etc. Better to work out abit of time to cycle in colder weather...which sounds like a greater challenge for your schedule.

I don't kid myself...I cycle less during the winter even though Vancouver doesn't get much snow (only in the mountains). I just find it easier to go shorter distances and tend to do most of my cycling on weekends during winter months. Anyway we get lots of rain...for days..cold rain in winter...a real turnoff (for me).

I guess I'm like this because I have fallen off my bike on the road twice on black ice. And Vancouver drivers are lousy/less predictable during snow /icy conditions compared to other regions of Canada.

We don't have a car. And haven't for several decades. Yes, money-saving is great....
    Last edited by shootingstar; 09-10-2008 at 11:57 AM.

I think the more expensive jackets have either more technical fabrics, more features or (unfortunately) a more popular label. A shell is basically a type of jacket. There are cycling jackets that have linings, but I've never owned one. I'd rather control what level of warmth I need with my clothing underneath the jacket.

Any shell/jacket should cut the wind (if it's not a knit material). I started with a $19 super thin shell from performance that I used over wool or polypro long sleeve shirts my first winter (I was in NC where 'cold' was in the 30's). The second year, I upgraded to a slightly more substantial jacket that had removeable sleeves. This gave me more temperature controlling options. This past year, I bought a more expensive Showers Pass rain jacket. It's actually bigger than my other jackets, so it gets worn when it's REALLY cold and I need lots of layers underneath. It's also waterproof (where my others are only water resistant), so it gets worn for real rain. Again, none of these have any type of warm lining.

There is one major advantage to cycling jackets over other windbreaking type shells (such as those worn for sailing or golf). Visibility. Every single one of my jackets has reflective piping and they are in bright colors. That's definitely a plus...particulalry in the dark winter! Running jackets would likely have some of those same features, so they could be good options as well.

Good luck on your hunt for the right clothing!
    My new non-farm blog: Finding Freedom

You said that your daughters have afternoon soccer 4 days a week. Can you bike commute on the fifth day when there would be less time pressure on you? Commuting even only once a week is good for your body and the environment and will save car costs. I only commute once a week because I need my other mornings for swimming and running. Speaking of which, it's time to log off and bike home!
    I'd rather be swimming...biking...running...and eating cheesecake...
    --===--

2008 Cervelo P2C Tri bike
    2011 Trek Madone 5.5/Cobb V-Flow Max
    2007 Jamis Coda/Terry Liberator
    2011 Trek Mamba 29er

Quote Originally Posted by MDHillSlug View Post
    You said that your daughters have afternoon soccer 4 days a week. Can you bike commute on the fifth day when there would be less time pressure on you?
    Yes! Plus, there might be occasional days like yesterday when for one reason or another, my chauffeuring services are not needed until a bit later and I have time to bike home. I really did enjoy it yesterday, so I'm hoping to have more opportunities.

It sounds like you are pretty determined, and if that's the case there's probably nothing that can stop you!

Doing something you love for yourself will be a great role model for your kids, although they probably won't know it until years from now.

I've had good luck at thrift shops. I think a lot of people buy gear and then lose interest in the sport they bought it for. I've found rain pants -- even a like-new pair of Arc'Teryx. You can always find fleece jackets, and fleece doesn't have to be expensive to keep you warm.

You don't necessarily need high-end clothing -- Ultrex instead of Gore-tex, for example. I've also gotten silkweight Patagonia Capilene on Ebay (Ebay is less time-consuming than thrift shops). Campmor's web site occasionally has great deals, too.

If you sew at all, fleece is easy to work with. Another idea is asking for your outdoor clothing at gift-giving times. I did this a lot as my mom got older and less inclined to go shopping and we both enjoyed it.

Take my advice with a grain of salt since I haven't bought bike-specific clothing. But I do stay toasty warm and dry camping, hiking and scootering in my thrift shop gear.

Pam

You can also sometimes find really good deals at

www.rei.com/outlet

Between the Blue Ridge and the Chesapeake Bay