Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

question for PTs

To disable ads, please log-in.

I have been having (self diagnosed) problems with my IT band. A few months ago, it was hurting near my knees, so I used a foam roller with great results. That pain is gone. Recently, it's begun to hurt in my hips, and I just rolled, and I'm pretty sure it's going to help again.

My question is, is foam rolling what I should be doing all the time as a preventative measure, or is it possible to get my bike fit adjusted so that IT band issues never flare up? I guess I'm wondering if the rolling will eventually not work, or mask an underlying problem.

Rolling will go a long way to keeping pain under control but it sounds like you may need to work on muscular control. During activity as well. Usually the problem is weakness of the glutes, external rotators of the hip and often the core (deep abs and low back muscles). But keep rolling!! if you're riding a lot you should be rolling consistently.
    Living life like there's no tomorrow.

http://gorgebikefitter.com/

2007 Look Dura Ace
    2010 Custom Tonic cross with discs, SRAM
    2012 Moots YBB 2 x 10 Shimano XTR
    2014 Soma B-Side SS

Thanks, Wahine.

I went into the LBS yesterday to have them do a once over of me and my bike, and it turns out one of my cleats was glaringly off kilter (so much so my mechanic called me a goof-ball). I went for a short ride, and there was not the internal grinding I usually feel with each pedal stroke. I'll keep rolling, but I think this was the source of the problem.

It's amazing how such a small thing can effect everything else!