Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Odd Question- Protecting Fruit in Bike Basket

To disable ads, please log-in.

OK, I know this is strange, but any tips on protecting fruit from getting banged and berries from getting mushy on my ride home from the grocery store? I can't really avoid bumpy roads so I need something to pad them a bit. The berries are more problematic as they shake against the sides of the container. Oh, such issues!

Eat them all before you hop on your bike? That would be my style!

Sorry, no smart suggestions here. I cycle about 3 minutes to the grocery store so the issue hasn't crossed my mind...

I wrap fruit before I take it to work in paper towels. otherwise, it will be smushed too.

(the same way you'd wrap fine china or glassware)
    Mimi Team TE BIANCHISTA
    for six tanks of gas you could have bought a bike.

The baggers, at a grocery stores I used to frequent in my old neighborhood, used to trap air in the plastic bag and tie it off for delicate fruit. That seemed to protect the fruit from getting bruised. However, it does take up a lot more space. I did occasionally have to remove some of the air before I could get everything to fit into my panniers.
    Everything in moderation, including moderation.

2007 Rodriguez Adventure/B72
    2009 Masi Soulville Mixte/B18
    1997 Trek 820 Step-thru Xtracycle/B17

Thanks. I actually meant to post this in the commuters folder. I guess there is no way to move it.

You could have one of those gyro-gizmos you get for coffee cups in trucks or sailboats. Only it would have to be a lot bigger. And it wouldn't help with the bumps, I guess. Oh I know, you could have them all floating in water, in a large sealed bowl

Sorry, I'm no help Maybe lightly packing them in soft paper and then in a plastic bag with extra air would do the trick.
    Winter riding is much less about badassery and much more about bundle-uppery. - malkin

1995 Kona Cinder Cone commuterFrankenbike/Selle Italia SLR Lady Gel Flow
    2008 white Nakamura Summit Custom mtb/Terry Falcon X
    2000 Schwinn Fastback Comp road bike/Specialized Jett

Lovelylibrarian,

When I used to commute on a bicycle with groceries some years back, I found that the delicate fruit did best in a backpack on my back.

Somehow the bumping is greatly reduced and the fruit fare quite well. You could just give it a try...... I also managed well with the plastic bags hanging from my handlebars. no banging around there riding with baskets and panniers is prolly easier though. hahha

Dee

I used a soft pack insulated lunch bag and put it in my back pack. I am about 2 miles from work and a few blocks from the grocery store. We bought a cargo carrier for the bike - haven't used it yet. We live up a hill and I don't want to drag two gallons of milk and all that other stuff up the hill yet! It will be great for a self-supported tour. I brought home a dozen eggs on my back and they were all good - just using my back pack.
    I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy it.