Welcome guest, is this your first visit? Click the "Create Account" button now to join.

To disable ads, please log-in.

Shop at TeamEstrogen.com for women's cycling apparel.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

To disable ads, please log-in.

You're a trooper 3for3!! Thanks for the laugh (laughing with you, that is!).

Keep at it! I love those clipless pedals, but I did fall today as well due to not getting my foot out fast enough (though it was b/c a minivan didn't see me and almost hit me so I had to stop suddenly!!!).
    Trying to be the person my dogs think I am.

Took a fall in August...

Oh the joys of falling! I posted in August after my very first fall. Yes, I was at a stoplight, patiently waiting for the green...and then...I was on the ground! I remember thinking..."CRAP, I'm gonna fall!!" I was the proud owner of a broken ankle!! I just hit the wrong way!! Surgery, pins and plates came 2 days later.
    I had wonderful encouragement from the fantastic women on this site!! I am happy to say that next week will be 6 weeks since my fall and I hopefully will be cleared to weight bear and start physical therapy. YEAH!!!!

A friend of mine will bring down my bike and I will begin training with zero resistance as the MD suggested. Yippeee, I am back on by beautiful bike very soon!

Hang in there 3 for 3!!!

Jean

I want you to know that I started with my clipless on a mountain bike. When you forget to unclip in a bad trail, well, trees and rocks are unforgiving. If I didn't come out of the trail with branches in my helmet, and at least a raw elbow or knee, it wasn't a normal day. You mentioned practicing your figure eights. I actually went through a police mountain bike course ( I get to ride a bike at work) and cone courses were a large part if it. For better control of the bike on slow spots so you don't tip over, use the rear brake as a resistence. Keep pedaling but with the brake slightly on you can maneuver better in tight spots. Don't try to much at once until you get more comfy, I think you are expecting a lot out of yourself. Try the water bottle thing in an open area and look if you have to. There's nothing worse than dropping it and then running over it. Done that a FEW times. Hang in there, you are doing great.

foothills of the Ozarks aka Tornado Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by 3for3 View Post
    I turned too sharp, slowed down too much and (of course) didn't unclip in time to get a leg down to stop the fall. I unclipped and leaned over to put a leg down....ON THE WRONG SIDE.
    Tell yourself you're a mountain biker in training, lol.

OK, about those sharp turns......keep your head up and your eyes focused ahead, not down. Your bike follows your eyes. Turn, then straighten the bike, unclip, and stop.

Now, to keep from falling over the opposite side of the unclipped foot, turn the front wheel slightly in the direction of your unclipped foot as you roll to a stop. By using this technique, I have never fallen to the opposite side.

Kermit--LOL! I used to go clipless when I mtb'd but am now happy to be on BMX platform pedals.

impatience

Thanks to everyone!! I know I will be referring back to all these stories and suggestions. I know I should take some time to do nothing but go practice all these tips. My problem is impatience. I have a three year old, so my time to ride alone is pretty much limited to the short time two mornings a week that she is in pre-school. I think I feel like I need to get a good workout in, so I don't "waste" my precious child-free workout time. But I should probably consider it an investment in my riding future to take a couple of those mornings and putz around getting more comfortable with everything. I was also reading all of kinds of stories on TE the other day about flat tires and have decided I need to learn to how to change one!

ps....j.nurse63: I'm glad you'll be back on your bike soon! I hope your recovery continues smoothly. I physically winced when I read your story!

"ps....j.nurse63: I'm glad you'll be back on your bike soon! I hope your recovery continues smoothly. I physically winced when I read your story!"

I am sorry about that...after I posted, I thought twice...
    Recovery has been long but I really look forward to riding again and I had just started this year!! I love it! Thanks for the encouragement.

I Did It!!!!!

I went for a ride and I DIDN'T fall! Yesterday I discovered a great trail not far from our house, we decided to check it out. We had a GREAT ride, and I didn't fall. I felt pretty darn energized, excited, and like I could conquer the world when we were done. Probably silly that something so small was such a big deal, but for me, it was worth getting excited over. YAY! Had to share the excitement. Let's hope today's ride goes just as well!
    "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

I went for a ride and I DIDN'T fall! Yesterday I discovered a great trail not far from our house, we decided to check it out. We had a GREAT ride, and I didn't fall. I felt pretty darn energized, excited, and like I could conquer the world when we were done. Probably silly that something so small was such a big deal, but for me, it was worth getting excited over. YAY! Had to share the excitement. Let's hope today's ride goes just as well!

Just as I was getting ready to pack up my very first First Aid kit and send it to you...but I might need it this wknd bc I bought the bf a mtn bike. This should be entertaining...he's always on me about running (he runs marathons)...it's time we got him on the dirt

Good for you! Keep it up!
    Aimee

A bicycle does get you there and more.... And there is always the thin edge of danger to keep you alert and comfortably apprehensive. Dogs become dogs again and snap at your raincoat; potholes become personal. And getting there is all the fun. ~Bill Emerson, "On Bicycling," Saturday Evening Post, 29 July 1967

3for3-
    If I did the math right- you are now "5 for 5"! I think you're definately getting better from the "5 for 4" you were at one point!!

Seriously, great job on not giving up! I posted about my first fall a few weeks ago, and couldn't even blame it on clipless! But the elbow scar I got from it, is still pretty cool!
    You're invited to visit my blog: http://tris3kidsandlife.blogspot.com/

5 for 6

Yes! I am actually 5 for 6 now! We went for another ride on Saturday and I did not fall! Tonight we're checking out a new trail, so (knock on wood), hopefully my 2 ride non-falling streak will continue gaining momentum! Thanks for all your encouragement!
    "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity but a spirit of power, of love and of self discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

Great job! I have fallen numerous times by unclipping the wrong pedal and leaning the wrong way! Or just not getting out quick enough. I am such a wimp, that I unclip waaaaayyyyy earlier than I need to, so I am ready for the stops. And if I end up not needing to unclip it is easy enough to just clip back in!

My friend says there are two kinds of riders. Those that have crashed, and those that will crash.

Glad it is getting better for you!